Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: 3D printers
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I keep being tempted to get a 3D printer but, so far, have managed to resist. Anyone have one of know much about the things? I just really don't know if one would be more than an impracticable toy.

Post subject: Re: 3D printers
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I see them as a toy that I don't need. :-) I can see their usefulness for some people, but I just wouldn't get the use out of one to make it worth the initial expense, the supplies, and the space it would take up.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:13 pm 

sboots wrote:
I see them as a toy that I don't need. :-) I can see their usefulness for some people, but I just wouldn't get the use out of one to make it worth the initial expense, the supplies, and the space it would take up.

I've actually been looking at these things for months but keep resisting. Price isn't as high as I figured. I doubt that I'll end up getting as I just don't really see a use.

On the other hand I've have also looked at some laser engravers. An engraver I'd actually use and would make some side money doing such things as custom belt buckles, NFL team logos and such stuff. Shoot, can get blank silver buckles for 10-15 bucks.

Just a couple of things that intrigue me but don't know if I'd actually follow through and make use even as to an engraver.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

A laser engraver does have more potential for making a little money, but I think they need external air extraction as the burning fumes can be toxic.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:16 pm 

sboots wrote:
A laser engraver does have more potential for making a little money, but I think they need external air extraction as the burning fumes can be toxic.

Was not aware of the toxicity.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:

I suppose that it depends on the material you are engraving/cutting, but it is burning the material. I've watched a whole bunch of "maker" videos where they use a laser to engrave or cut something and they usually mention eye protection required and ventilation.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:26 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:

I suppose that it depends on the material you are engraving/cutting, but it is burning the material. I've watched a whole bunch of "maker" videos where they use a laser to engrave or cut something and they usually mention eye protection required and ventilation.

Reading sort of between the lines on researching this a bit I could do by a window with a fan blowing out and I would be safe. However there would still be some heavy metals remaining in the room's air which could be fatal for my bird which is much more sensitive to such things. The bird is a royal pain but I'd rather keep him around.

If I'm properly understanding the little I've read laser etching such heavy metals as silver caused the etched metal to atomize through high heat. These atomized particles are fine enough to stay suspended in the air for a large amount of time and can be breathed in long after the process is finished. The heavier the metal the more pronounced this affect. For instance etching gold would be a higher danger than doing silver. I think that this is due to the fact that when these atomized particles are suspended in the air they can be breathed in but, once they settle in the lungs, they cannot be expelled and build up to where they eventually can hinder the blood/oxygen transfer causing or enhancing COPD.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:46 am 

Hmmm, I wonder...??? This is an add-on to my previous post above.

I wonder if I might not be able to beat the toxic aspect of a laser engraver. What if I were to get an acrylic aquarium that would hold the engraver. Being acrylic I could easily cut a hole to mount an exhaust fan such as a desktop computer case fan. I could then use a bit of duct work to have the outflow go out a window when the thing is in use.

What I'm thinking is that an acrylic tank is a closed unit if there is an air tight lid. Of course I would need air intakes for such a thing but that would simply involve drilling a few small holes on the opposite side of the exhaust. The trick would be to have the intake holes small enough to not allow enough influx of air to match the output. It would seem that this would cause a lower air pressure within the container preventing any toxins to enter the room as the output would be higher than the input. I'd bet dollars to donuts that such a system would work but doubt that I'd actually do it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Good job on the research. Yes, an enclosure with a ducted exhaust would be the solution.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware