Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I run my 2017 Microsoft Surface 3 and Macbook Air using wireless. My other three systems (two home built towers and an Asus laptop) are wired. I have recently found that the wireless adapter in the Surface is terrible! Last night, between reading on the Surface, I decided to watch an on-line video and it stuttered badly so I decided to test things.

Using https://www.speedtest.net/ I get ~110Mb/sec which is actually faster than advertised on my three wired systems. On my wireless Macbook Air I get ~60Mb/sec wireless on both the Windows and MacOS sides which is also fine. However, on the Surface I only get ~16Mb/sec. Unless it is due to my running Windows 11 on the Surface 3 when it does not actually qualify the wireless adapter in the Surface 3 must be terrible. Must be kept in mind that the Surface 3 is a 2017 model so things are probably better with more current versions. Before trying the video I was a bit surprised at how long Updates took but just figured that it was due to the Surface just having an Atom CPU.

There is no real issue here as 98% of the time I just use the Surface as an eBook reader and I really don't care how long updates take. I was just surprised at how slow the wireless adapter seems to be. It has been ages since I've tested the wireless on the Asus laptop but last I did it matched the higher Mb/sec speeds of ~60.

I'm just curious as to if the MUCH slower speed on the Surface 3 is more likely to be due to my running Windows 11 when the system does not qualify or if it is just an awful wireless adapter. Can't remember the name of the wireless adapter right now but it is one of which I've never heard.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

I would suspect that it is due to Windows 11 on the Surface 3.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
I would suspect that it is due to Windows 11 on the Surface 3.

Kind of my thought too. I guess the only proof would be to make an image backup and then clean install Windows 10 to see if the speed results change. I'll have to think about if it is important enough to bother. I mean, in reality, the Surface is just a glorified NOOK eBook reader in relation to my usage.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Based on the way you use it, I agree that going through all that trouble to confirm suspicions (or discover that it is actually a crappy WiFi adapter, no matter the OS version!) isn't worth it!

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware