Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 pm 
welcoming committee

files as when I started.

I know I am missing all of the words I added to CUSTOM.dic.
C:\Documents and Settings\Send To (right click - to documents)
C:\Outlook\archive1.pst
I have no idea what else I am missing and what I restored today.
(I have the list, but can't translate it to practical terms.)

Before restoring an image from HD, I wanted specific file paths to see if that will restore what I need, but I cannot find an answer. I don't want to write over my four-day old notes added to existing files, without knowing if that will work.

Dictionary from the backup has a few kb of added words. Where's the original list?
I added "Archive.pst" to avoid the calendar error, but it only has what was added four days ago. If not able to restore, can I create an archive from my original?

There are apps that restore deleted/lost files. Am I looking at a world of pain? I thought I would see what I deleted, instead of actually trying to restore it. Besides, the format is totally confusing and too technical for me to understand the options.

Don't know why nobody answered my original post, but I changed it yesterday.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I am sorry that I cannot be of much help as I don't even use Outlook.

The above said I DO believe that when you did the Outlook repair the custom dictionary would have been cleared during the process.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Archive.pst is where your archived data goes if you use Outlook archiving. There should be no calendar error associated with it unless you were viewing a calendar in the archive.pst as one of your active calendars. Typically, you should close the archive.pst when it isn't being written to, though that doesn't matter.
Your archive.pst is typically located in a hidden folder here:
\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
If you selectively restored and didn't restore hidden files and folders, that's why it didn't restore.
If you defined a different location for archive.pst when it was created, your outlook profile would point to where it thinks it is supposed to be.
I don't recall seeing a post from you regarding restoring folders in recent days. Where is that post?
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 pm 

Steve, the original post is here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1134

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you, Jay - for the link. You use OO, don't cha?

Stephen,
I'm beat and I have too much to write. Anyway. I don't use archived pst, but the error says I don't have the file, and how do I want to open my Calendar? It opens (after a second), but I shouldn't have an error. I renamed it - but it's not an "archived" file, and I will clean that mess up. I guess I get an error because it left a trail (file) after I deleted far more important files.
The amount of crap I have installed is amazing, combined with remnants from Asus that I can't remove or completely uninstall. I need a major clean. (CCCleaner?)

Through human error, via RUN, I completely and utterly wiped out files. I saw a gazillion "Roaming" files disappear.

See the other post, and we'll "chat" some more!

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:01 am 

Not sure what 'OO' happens to be. I use Live Mail.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:46 am 

Probably Open Office Jay. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Two points, Joan!
Post refers to Microsoft Office Outlook, not mail, but I know you didn't read because you can't answer.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

I definitely did not uncheck hidden folders, so there is that.
After restoring Users and not seeing anything of value (the specific folders/files mentioned), I then restored Local, LocalLow, and Roaming - same result. Whelp,
I had to do something.

How do I restore CUSTOM.dic? (I can't find it as a solo file.)
If I run RESTORE backup from 10/19 with hidden f/f unchecked, is that all I need to do - and to get back the missing ROAMING files?

I just read all of the backup options (from 1. HD, 2. Admin, or 3.Nancy's - and noted the different dates of particular folders), but nothing is clear from the titles, unless what I want is in Temp or AppData.

In addition, I didn't write over last week's Image during Friday backup. I would rather not rewrite the week's work by hand, but I have the 10/16 Image as an option with caveats (and preparation).

Your guidance is most welcome. Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

I located my custom.dic file here:
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
\Appdata is a hidden folder, so, selectively restoring would not have offered you that branch.

I can't speak to how you can resolve your issue as I don't know what your specific backup includes. Recovering from a mass delete of files is never easy and can be quite tedious and imperfect. With the days that have elapsed since this began, a clean recovery isn't likely to be possible. The best solution would have been a complete image restore of your last good backup, accepting that changes from that backup forward would be lost.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Okay, I have an idea, but first, I need to address my outlook.pst file.
I backup daily and they have been unusually fast - and no errors.
I just searched Backup and Restore and what I found is troubling: RESTORE:
"My OL Data File.pst" modified 9/19/14
"Outlook data file, Nancy.pst" 9/19/14
"Outlook.pst modified 10/19/2015

I also checked my account (Outlook), which shows default backup is C:\Users\Nancy\Documents\Outlook\Outlook.pst - and the archived version.
I also checked the HD (G), which doesn't show any updates after 10/20/15, which is odd.

1. So, before I do anything, please help me create an Outlook.pst folder.
I know MacDuffie (when she put me back together from scratch about five years ago), put the folder into a place other than typically suggested - Documents, maybe?
++++++++++++++++++

(I had written - and then deleted in edit, that I found the UProof file on my computer, but thank you. That info was online... So, I wonder why I didn't find instructions that said on restore to uncheck hidden... )

++++++ MY IDEA

Even knowing that I deleted Roaming doesn't indicate to you which folder to restore - like the Roaming folder? Okay, I can deal with that.
Hey - what if I copy the image and then selectively restore Outlook.pst and Desktop? I can always copy my dictionary contents and save them on a flash drive, or something.

Oh, jeez. A mini-mess.
Thank you for your help, Stephen.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

You already have a .pst file since you are using Outlook. In your data file properties inside Outlook it should tell you what it is called and where it is located.
And if you see that Outlook.pst is your archive folder in Outlook, you have that as well -- and it is located in your Documents folder, not the hidden location where Outlook creates the .pst file by default.
The two files you see dated 9/19/14 are apparently old backups. Are you missing mail?
And, when you run backup is Outlook open or closed? If open, backup may not be able to copy the .pst file to backup.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Outlook is always closed - I learned that in 2004 (maybe).
I wrote down the locations and then deleted my notes.

I'm running SyncToy (which I just configured) for backup, instead of Windows, so I have to wait until I finish it.

In accounts:
C:\Users\myName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook Archive.pst DATA FILE
C:\Users\myName\Documents\Outlook Outlook DATA FILE

This is what you asked for, isn't it?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:01 pm 
welcoming committee

No, I am not missing any mail.
My Docs folder looks very strange. It is now in groups and you have to click behind it to see the other files. I have no idea what is in there, really. Docs are shared w/Public - and I never look at the 'saved in two places,' so I assume Public - library (?)is normal, but it has weird file associations - like icons folders that can't be opened with a photo viewer.
I restarted after backup (which ran until 2.30am) and my desktop has a million files/folders on it, including the groups I used to create SyncToy. It looks to me that everything that should go into Docs folder are sitting on my desktop.

So, I have Docs in Nancy - where they should be. I have to assume there is - and I am guessing here a hidden Roaming folder and it's probably empty.

I cannot rt click desktop to 'send items to' Documents or Notepad - those choices are missing. Those, too, as far as I know, are/were in the Microsoft roaming folder. Since I can't, I don't know how to - or where to send the DT items.
Should I just delete everything that shouldn't be there or Image the damned laptop, before everything backs up to ridiculous proportions?

So, now that I have an additional and brand new backup, what about my idea of restoring by Image and then updating outlook.pst via SyncToy? I learned a couple of days ago that my thumb drive is full (a larger one is on my list). Calendar is the only thing that I will really have to update and I can write notes (I think) before I image the computer, but those deleted files have screwed things up - I screwed things up. Suggestions?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

What I didn't make clear is that I should have had outlook backups 10/21, 10/22, and 10/23. Gee, you're not in my head or sitting behind me, are you?
Even if I didn't change more than one item in Calendar, I still should have backups dated daily as the date changed. Shouldn't I?

TY

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't go deleting anything at this point. You will need to continue to assess what you have and what you don't have before moving anything or deleting anything -- and I'd only delete things that you know you have in another location.

The Send To item is a right click Explorer option. If it is missing from certain folders, I presume it has to do with the properties or those folders and I would not be concerned.

And your backup question is hard to answer without knowing what your backup settings are and, actually, what process you are using. If you are not missing anything from your current .pst file, don't be trying to Sync anything to it, but close Outlook and make a new backup copy of the file, if you wish, then review your backup settings and procedures to determine why the .pst was not being backed up or, if it was, where was it backed up to...

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

I was reading old posts last night - SyncToy was what MacDuffie suggested for backup, not syncing - that's what I did for six hours. You are consistent - and so am I.

I am one step ahead for two reasons. First, you said earlier that I should have restored the image and to hell with the lost data. So, that's what I did. It's pointless to delay. The second reason is the instructions on "recovery image," backup data files, restart, and after the recovery, you can restore any backed up file(s) you choose.

With Calendar, I can SEE that some notes from today are there, and some are not. I wonder why... Except that these things happen. Dictionary looks AWESOME. Desktop is normal and rt click Send To works.

Other than JUST realizing that I obliterated my SyncToy backup in the process, I have no idea what's up with my outlook.pst file. I wrote down the locations, both from windows search and Account Settings, but they don't mean anything to me. You could maybe ask me about the inside of a Trader Joe's - but I do not understand the inside of my laptop.

***Currently missing many of My Documents - I had 900+ and now I have 152.

I am using MS Backup and Restore. As far as how and what, well, a more understandable question I could probably answer, because the PROCESS is what I asked about. Is it (feasible) to lay a particular file/folder on top of another one - which is obviously yes, but I didn't know it/what would happen because nobody said - in all of the eventual back and forth (after two days dark), just restore image and don't worry.

The one question you keep ignoring - and I may not understand the whats or whys, but please tell me why you didn't answer my question about roaming files.

The other ridiculous thing is, after changing a million Firefox passwords, I have to do that again. They should be in my FF folder, but so far, I didn't see them. Maybe I didn't look in the right place.

I can restore outlook to Friday, the prior Windows backup, before SyncT.
What an a*hole I am. I am not blaming anybody here, at all, but this started a week ago. Info coming in at eighteen or 24-hour cycles is too long for me to wait, worrying about losing Calendar data.

I can restore outlook to Friday. I said my backups have been quick and I just realized something else. I haven't gotten red alerts, but today's backup ran a normal amount of time. Settings haven't changed - all data files are checked. I can't fathom how or where these things might be or where they went, especially when files were here earlier, yesterday, Friday, and the day before and after I blew things up.
Until next time.

Thank you, SB.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 pm 
welcoming committee

All Send To folders always had the same options, until I deleted files.
I always close outlook.
I wouldn't worry, except that it was odd that Documents - specifically - was missing and I seemed to be having related issues - as if I deleted files from the same category.

--- I pointed things out as I noticed them - and as I couldn't move anything off my desktop that didn't belong, it WAS related. In order to restore the rt click option, I was told to go to a particular file. My DOCS file, per the instructions, was missing. That's why. Clues! Clues everywhere.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Looking at things from a different perspective - oh boy.
I opened Manage Space (backups).
All my backups are there.
From 10/20 - 10/23, it's small.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:52 am 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
Stephen,
The one question you keep ignoring - and I may not understand the whats or whys, but please tell me why you didn't answer my question about roaming files.

I don't understand your question about roaming files. Your last reference mentioning "roaming" was in relation to SendTo, which is a right click Explorer option not a file. "Roaming" is one section of your Profile's AppData folder, along with "Local" and "LocalLow" where Programs store data and settings.

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Admin

I just posted a second lengthy reply and the forum blipped on me, so I won't be re-typing... :-(

I'm having a hard time following along with all of the steps you are taking, nancy. What is the current state of the PC? Is the remaining issue that the contents of \Documents is reduced after restoring the most recent image backup? Are the missing files included in your SyncToy backup to another location?

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:54 am 
welcoming committee

Yep, I do that too often.

Re: why Roaming
The first post that I said nobody responded to, which Jay linked: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1134
The computer is great. Yes, my only concern is/was about the reduced number of Documents.
I couldn't find files this - one after another, so I opened the folder and a ton seemed to have been missing, hence the count. I think NOW, after I realized it was Indexing Files overnight and into half of today, that I am not missing anything. I also think that my settings - view - are different. 152 is inconceivable after 6+ years of business docs. During the course of a day, I am constantly searching my files, so I'll pay attention in daylight. Soon.

I looked at my hard drive, my backup dates, the sizes, and used a dozen search words (for outlook types - but NOT the hidden files, of course) . I am 98% certain that all is very well.

You just forced me to (no -it was wise) do all of those searches before I came back here to respond - a good habit, I might add. So the percentage of certainty rose while typing my answer.
------O, and the missing SyncToy files are not missing. I assume they are hidden. You knew that. I forgot. Also, I expected to see my DT Sync icon.

In our dreams we roam - locally & low.
Thank you and good night.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?