Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just installed and it looks sort of interesting but a bit odd in relation to what I used to using.

A few things I already like:
1) It seems fast.

2) You can 'split tabs' which means that you can have multiple tabs open at the same time. This looks to only be in the 'Pro' version. I THINK the free version lacks this. Pro is $8.00/month USD, I won't be doing any payments but it is there in the trial.

3) Sessions: You can setup different sessions. For instance you could setup a session for shopping. Just open each shopping site and add to the shopping session. After setting up you just select that session and all the tabs are there.

https://www.meetsidekick.com/

Here is a ZDNET article on it.
https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/work-life/this-might-be-my-new-favorite-web-browser/

Don't know if I'll keep but will look deeper.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Nope. Haven't tried it. My main browser is Edge. I occasionally use Chrome and Firefox, but that's it...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't get the concept, maybe i'm a dinosaur, i like things simplified when i'm online, especially when using a browser to find information which is surely the whole point?

e.g.

1. Is there really such a thing as a slow browser in this day and age, one where then end user can really see a difference, the website has nice marketing speak but does anyone really notice the difference.

2. Open in new window, or am i missing something?

3. In reality who opens up the same shopping sites everytime they want to buy something... isn't that what the favourites list is for?

My initial reaction was this sounds like Chrome on steroids, then i read it was based on Chrome... i'll pass on that thank you lol

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:10 am 

Doddie wrote:
I don't get the concept, maybe i'm a dinosaur, i like things simplified when i'm online, especially when using a browser to find information which is surely the whole point?

e.g.

1. Is there really such a thing as a slow browser in this day and age, one where then end user can really see a difference, the website has nice marketing speak but does anyone really notice the difference.

2. Open in new window, or am i missing something?

3. In reality who opens up the same shopping sites everytime they want to buy something... isn't that what the favourites list is for?

My initial reaction was this sounds like Chrome on steroids, then i read it was based on Chrome... i'll pass on that thank you lol

I MAY be wrong but I think that Sidekick is based more on MS Edge than Google Chrome but it is a fine line as Edge is somewhat based on Chrome.

Open in a new window is fine for a specific site but not for a group of sites.

I used 'shopping' as a simple example and it was likely a bad choice. Let's take my streaming sites as a better example. I use Firefox for normal browsing but use Edge for streaming. My Edge 'home page' is actually 7 tabs for my streaming. Hey it works for me. ;) The sessions in Sidekick would allow me to add all my streaming sites to a session which I could bring up at any time without interrupting what I was currently doing (I think). This would be handy as I would just open the streaming session on a click instead of taking more system resources by having multiple browsers open.

Don't get me wrong as I am not advocating this thing. I just think it looks interesting. To be honest I doubt that I'll keep but WILL give a good look.

The biggest downside that I see is that I will lose the multiple tab view when the pro trial runs out and it defaults to the free version. It would be nice here when trying to help someone to have this site and the reference site visible at the same time.

Like I said, it just looks a bit interesting. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:19 am 
welcoming committee

I'm clearly a dinosaur because i can't envisage wanting to have 7 streams on the go at the same time, i really don't get that concept.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:56 am 

Doddie wrote:
I'm clearly a dinosaur because i can't envisage wanting to have 7 streams on the go at the same time, i really don't get that concept.

You misunderstand! Of course I don't have 7 streams going at the same time. I have 7 streaming services in tabs so they are all there for me to decide what to watch. None are actually streaming unless I say to do so.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:08 am 
welcoming committee

I still don't get it... what's the point of the open tabs if you may or may not use them?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 am 

Doddie wrote:
I still don't get it... what's the point of the open tabs if you may or may not use them?

Because they are all there in one place and I can go tab to tab to decide what to watch having each in a browser window instead of having each streaming service in separate window. It is just more convenient.

What I already do works for me and I doubt that Sidekick will replace what I do with Firefox and Edge. All I'm saying is that Sidekick looks like it could be interesting.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Point of clarification - :-) - both Chrome and Edge (as well as Opera and other browsers) are built on the open source project code base which is Chromium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)
And, Doddie, I am in agreement about tabs. I use my Favorites to access common sites. My startup is a single home page. I do often open and use multiple tabs, just not at startup. I use multiple tabs and even windows to bounce between sites. I just don't see the need to have a set of tabs available to me at all times. I can see that this would be useful to some people, though, so it's a nicety to have the feature available as a choice.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:09 pm 

Actually I don't use multiple tabs as a 'home page' in Firefox, my default browser, which I use for normal browsing. I only use multiple tabs in Edge which I only use for streaming. I just find it handy to have my streaming sources up when I launch Edge.

Sessions in Kickstart is not a home page. It is a group of tabs that can be brought up at any time. You can also have multiple sessions stored

Even though I find Kickstart interesting I doubt that I'll keep. Although Edge won't let me log in on one of my streams so who knows... :dunno: Not sure yet but I think the Edge problem is a corrupted cookie.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

I can see the value of storing a set of Favorites in a collection of tabs to open together at will. I would have used that feature in the past when I was active on the Microsoft forums moderating and answering.
I have a site that I haven't been able to access for some time now using Edge. It works fine in both Chrome and Firefox, so I don't get overly concerned about the cause. ;-) There was also another site a few months back that I wasn't able to log into using Edge, but either it now works or I've not been back since!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:50 pm 

sboots wrote:
I can see the value of storing a set of Favorites in a collection of tabs to open together at will. I would have used that feature in the past when I was active on the Microsoft forums moderating and answering.
I have a site that I haven't been able to access for some time now using Edge. It works fine in both Chrome and Firefox, so I don't get overly concerned about the cause. ;-) There was also another site a few months back that I wasn't able to log into using Edge, but either it now works or I've not been back since!

I don't worry much about the one streaming service not letting me log in as all my streams are available through my TV and it works in Firefox. Haven't tried it with Sidekick yet... Mayhaps I did, can't remember. If I did it must have worked as I'd remember if it didn't. ;)

<edit>
Really the only time I need to use my computer to stream is if I want to record.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:01 pm 

As a side note I had an odd streaming issue with my LG 55 inch TV last evening. Since new episodes are coming out I decided to catch up with Star Trek Picard on Paramount Plus. I actually had not streamed for a while and was surprised when the TV showed no connection. It wasn't just Paramount Plus, I showed no connection for any stream. Reset my router and no joy. I messed with it for a while and then had a DUH moment and turned off the TV and back on. Everything was fine. :dunno:

Electronics in my apartment are sometimes a bit odd. For instance my bedroom alarm clock is self setting but insists on setting itself ~40 minutes ahead of the actual time. One of these days I'll replace the thing but it has been this way for over 10 years and I'm used to it. LOL! I've been telling myself to replace the thing for years and have not. One of these days... Funny thing is that, if I ever do replace, it will probably take an age and a half before I recognize the new clock as the real time. There is a little bit of Pavlov's Dog in all of us. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

LOL!

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing