Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is on my older second system, not my newer main. I really could not figure out where to post this so went here even though I suspect that it is hardware as both systems run the same build of Windows 10 and differ mainly in hardware.

Both systems are pretty much on 24/7 as in the wee hours of the morning my main system data drive is cloned to the second system and both do images to the drive connected to my router. The second system with the problem is old enough to only have SATA2.

This is mainly out of curiosity as a restart of the second system every three days or so puts everything back to cool.

After being on three days or so a right click on the desktop will no longer show a context menu. Well, it sort of does but it is useless as it comes up as just a very narrow vertical white band with no options listed. Also there will be a delay before the Start Menu opens. I do not remember this happening before the 2017 fall Creator's build upgrade but am not sure.

My thought is that the second system is old enough that it has become borderline as to being able to run the newer builds of Windows 10. My only other real thought is that the 2017 fall Creator's build may have a memory leak that could affect the second system way before the main as my main has 32 GB memory while the second only has 8 GB.

Like I said is mostly just curiosity thing as I don't really consider doing a restart every few days a real issue.

<edit>
Oh, BTW, this issue does not seem to affect such things as the cloning of my main system data to the second system nor the creation of system images. This sort of brings up the possibility of it being a compatibility glitch with the older video card in the second system. If this seems to be a likely possibility I would have zero issue getting a newer video card. The second system is using a 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 5450 video card.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

It does sound like a memory leak -- perhaps the video driver. Have you checked for an updated driver from the card's maker?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm 

I THINK that I checked for driver updates and came up with nothing but am not totally positive. I will make sure to check. I did an edit on my initial post to include the possibility of it being related to the video card. If I had seen your post before posting my edit I would have just posted as a reply. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 pm 

Hmmm, there was a video driver update. Could have sworn I had checked. LOL! That is one of the problems of having three computers and two tablets; you forget what you have done on each. ;) :mrgreen:

I'm also switching from AMD Catalyst to AMD Crimson.

We will see what happens. ;) Just started the re-boot after the installs...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm 

Well 4 days now and the issue has not again shown on my second system. I'm almost embarrassed as I'm usually one of the first to suggest checking for driver updates. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing