Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: TP Link problem
 Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:41 am 
welcoming committee

I moved my computer desk to a more convenient place but then my Ethernet cable from my wireless modem was not long enough to reach my PC. So I went to the computer store and decided the most convenient thing would be to get a TP Link to make my computer itself wireless. The guy at the store installed the software. I took the computer home and it worked perfectly. Well the computer did but my wireless mouse and my wireless printer are not. As it seemed like rather a coincidence, I am wondering If it's the wireless connection to my computer that is messing up the mouse and printer. If it is, I am sure he will take th e TP Link back and sell me a longer Ethernet cable.

If it is the TP Link that is the problem, is there a solution - other than using a longer cable? It doesn't matter to me which one I use - I would have a cable going round by the wall but I would prefer that to not having my wireless mouse and printer not working!

Post subject: Re: TP Link problem
 Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:58 am 
Fearless Leader

Let's see, TP=Toilet Paper. I take it that's not what you mean? ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:09 pm 
welcoming committee

I have no idea what it stands for -- maybe its just the name of the "thing" -- that is what its called. its a thing that you plug into a usb port on your computer and it makes the computer wireless -- whereas before it had an ethernet cable that was connected to the wireless modem in order to connect to the Internet.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

No, the problem is the encryption code for your network, more than likely. There's a passphrase that has to go into each piece of equipment that uses the wireless router. They have to all be the same.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
That should not affect the mouse and I would think that it would be the computer that would fail due to a lack of encryption code, not the printer. The printer was already setup and working before the USB addition unless I'm missing something in the first post.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
Fearless Leader

Oops... you're right. Missed the mouse part.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes I know my router password. It's not that. The printer world after I moved everything. I heard it turn on. The wireless mouse also worked because I used it to click on the little computer thing on the task bar so I could select my network. It was only after I connected my computer wirelessly that the mouse wasn't responding. However, to confuse things even more, today I moved the router into the middle of the room and disconnected that USB wireless device and plugged my Ethernet cable back in. I was connected to the Internet but the wireless mouse still didn't work. Never mind. I will phone the store in the morning and see what they say.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 am 
Fearless Leader

I assume you've checked your batteries on the mouse?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

I spent all morning fiddling with things and I have figured out what the problem is. At some time during the life of the computer I had a row of four usb ports added. I figured out that they are not working. When I moved things from this row of usb ports - they work! It was when I tried to run a back up and when I turned the back up drive on - the computer didn't recognize it. It said back up from C: to C: -- so then I moved that usb to a different place and it worked just fine and the light bulb went on. I could get them fixed but I don't have to have them and now everything's working again I am not about to move anything.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. Its pretty difficult to know what is wrong unless you are in the same place as the computer!

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:22 pm 
Fearless Leader

True, Liz. It could be that you were running one too many USB devices that were depending on the motherboard for power.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing