Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Darn ipad.
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm 
welcoming committee

I bought an iPad - which is turning out to be a bit of a learning curve.

I added photos - I downloaded an app to do that from my PC - I created albums and some of the photos actually went in the right album. Some did not. Not a problem.

I also wanted to download books from my public library. So I downloaded the appropriate adobe ap for that. But I cannot log in.

If I go to my computer I can use the login and password and get into adobe. If I use the SAME login and password on the stupid iPad - I can't. I tried creating a new adobe profile but I used every email address I have and it says I have already used that - anybody have any ideas?

Short of saying forget it and going to the library for free books!!!

Post subject: Re: Darn ipad.
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:52 pm 

Sorry I can't help you there Liz as I don't have an iPad but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can help you out with the problem. :)

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm 
Fearless Leader

I'm curious, Liz, why you decided to go with an iPad - after all the time we spent discussing various Android tablets.

But I don't know the answer to your question. And yes, going from the PC world to the Apple world is always a learning curve.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 am 
welcoming committee

Well - I kept going back and forth -- android, ipad, laptop -- over and over -- and then I just said - that's it -- ipad. Not sure if its the right decision - but I have the thing now and have to figure it out. I would have had to figure out an android!!

For me, the most convenient thing would have been a laptop - not much to learn - but I have back problems and while I am fine sitting up straight and typing -- when I have the keyboard drawer out to type - and I am leaning forward to use the mouse all the time - it gave me terrible back ache. So I decide that I had to find something that I could have up close - use sitting on the sofa etc.

I am too lazy to learn to use that pad thingie on a laptop - which would have resulted in an external keyboard and mouse - and I would be faced with the leaning forward thing again. So it came down to a tablet. I looked at reviews for the Toshiba and they said it was heavy and got really hot and the battery didn't last. At least several I found said that. So - I thought bite the bullet and get an iPad.

Last edited by Purley333 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can't help either but did see when searching that it seems that the iPad has a LOT of issues with connecting to Adobe and others

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm 
Fearless Leader

Well I know it's too late, but a small laptop with a proper lap pad would allow you to do exactly what you want and me ergonomically correct. I have a pad made by Logitech that is quite light and has a slide out piece to put a mouse on if you want to use the mouse. The whole thing would be on your lap. Laptops are made to be ergonomically correct on the lap, that is what they are for. This whole thing of laptops on a desktop is horrible and totally works against the design of the laptop.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:17 pm 
welcoming committee

To be honest Liz, I can't login to some websites from my Iphone (same IOS as Ipad) keeps telling me wrong username/password.

yet when I try from my PC it works fine.

I just put it down to compatibility issues, as the websites in question I was having issues logging in to there are also apps for which work fine so I use them instead.

Certs: CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:SA,
MCITP:EMA 2010, MCSE:Server 2008, VTSP5, ITIL V3 Foundation
http://www.michaelriccioni.com

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
This whole thing of laptops on a desktop is horrible and totally works against the design of the laptop.

That is one of the reasons I got the linked cooling pad. With the ability to control the angle it sits it makes the laptop quite comfortable when used on a desk. The fact that it also gives me three extra USB ports didn't hurt. It has four ports but uses one on the laptop.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6089108&CatId=3486

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I was so happy to see this post because I'm trying to decide which is the best purchase for my needs. I'd mainly like to use a tablet in the car due to it's size. And I would need internet connection in the car. Is there an android tablet vs Ipad (due to the price & I don't need all it offers) that would allow me to access the internet in my car in any given area when needed? In the city I could access WiFi but sometimes I'm in the country where that is not available. Ipad (if I remember right) offers the option to use WiFi or 4G but the 4G (what does 4G stand for?) could be available as needed. Like not a contract but just pay as I use it. I'd be just as happy with Android but would I be able to access the internet when needed vs buying into a contract internet option? Or if there is not yet an android product that can be used with internet access as needed, is something in the works that might do this? I've considered the Iphone or other phone devices but I would not use the product enough to justify the cost. And I am more at ease with a tablet than a phone. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could look into? I don't need awesome battery life, just 4 hrs but the more the better. Thanks so much for any suggestions :) katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:54 pm 
Fearless Leader

4G is high-speed cellular. There is no such thing as pay-as-you-go 4G to my knowledge. It is on contract from the cell providers. You and almost everybody else would love to have 4G anywhere, on demand - and not have to pay a monthly fee for it. I'm sure there are other tablets besides the iPad that have 4G capability built in. You'd look at your cellular provider's store (brick or online) to see what they have for options there. I suspect the 4G data plans for tablets cost more than for smartphones. What do you need internet connection in the car for? Perhaps a smartphone would be sufficient. It certainly handles all of my mobile needs. The data plan for a smartphone is generally about $30 over the price of the regular cellular plan. Verizon has a 4G device that you can plug into a laptop - that plan is $50/month. Not sure where the tablets fit into the price scheme.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm 

Since my laptop is 4G enabled I'm sure that some tablets are also. One of the names that they use for being able to connect to 4G is WiMAX. If you see that a tablet has WiMAX it is able to connect to 4G or 3G.

I don't know if you would call it pay as you go but AT&T does offer prepaid connections. In my opinion they are a total rip off but they are there. 1gig of bandwidth will cost you $50.00 where for the same $50.00 you get 5gig on a plan. The prepaid also expire after a month whether used or not. Personally I would not touch it. If you need to connect on the road pull over to a McDonalds, Wendys or Burger King, most have free WiFi.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 am 

I can browse with my Smartphone and I'm on pay as you go. The plan I get costs me £10 and that gives me 100 minutes to any network, 300 texts and 50 MB Internet. It lasts for 30 days, I'm on Vodafone and I have an HTC Wildfire S. To be honest I don't go on the Internet that much on the phone as I'd much rather have the bigger screen to go to my forums, I have the Maxthon Mobile browser plus there is the standard one that comes with the phone.

Another thing is because I'm with BT for my broadband I can use WiFi for free by connecting to their BT Fon wherever it will pick up the signal.
Of course this is over the pond from most of you so I don't know how it works for you all.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 am 
Fearless Leader

WiMax is actually an alternative wireless broadband technology to cellular - not the same. I suspect it doesn't have the coverage outside of metropolitan areas that you may find with cellular.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for all the enlightening info. At least I know more now than I did earlier. I'm afraid my reasons for wanting internet in a car are pretty minor and not worth the cost of what it appears I would need. I will keep checking around for a tablet with WiFI and just use the fast food WiFi versions, it seems to be the best choice for me. Thanks so much for the very good info!! Katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm 
welcoming committee

It was useful to know others have issues connecting from the iPad - at least I know it's not me! Last night I was using the live help on the LLBean website but I just could not send my message. So I went downstairs and had no problem with my computer! I do like the iPad for its convenience of size. Easy to take with me. I couldn't justify the cost of the 4G version but I can show friends my photos etc.

If I get fed up with it I can give it to my granddaughter of her birthday and buy a laptop. I make myself use then iPAd to get used to it but I doubt that for me it will ever feel as comfortable as a computer.

It's a toy!!

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Cute puppy Michael.

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:38 pm 
welcoming committee

I've had my Toshiba Tablet now for 5 months and love it. Yes, it's a bit more clumsy than an IPad, but it also has USB Ports and and SD Slot. And I was surprised how easy it was for me to figure out the Android stuff. I bought a purse that is just big enough to hold the tablet and whatever else I "have to have" with me. Love it!

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 am 
Fearless Leader

Ulrike, do you perhaps have a link with a photo of that Tablet? I'd love to see it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Sorry, Patty - I just found this! I took some photos of my tablet. They are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ulriked/MyToshibaTablet?authkey=Gv1sRgCIr5u7O1hbbS6wE
I also inserted the CD card that the photos were on into the tablet and was able to view the album with all six photos, but haven't figured out how to view one of the photos by itself.
These photos aren't too great, hope they give you an idea.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Speaking of ipads...

For those of you who sometimes struggle with technology, this is very funny

Here's a video clip for you, (needs no translation, either!)

It's in German but the words aren't necessary ...the dialogue is a young woman asking her father if he is enjoying the iPad the family bought him...

http://wimp.com/dadipad

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:36 am 
welcoming committee

That is absolutely funny!!! And probably just what I would use an iPad for!

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:12 am 

I'd seen that before and it is hilarious. :rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing