Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
I guess they heard your complaint about not wanting to wait for stuff to be delivered......

LOL! Mayhaps BB. :mrgreen:

It may also be that they don't send emails on some stuff being shipped. The entertainment center was from the same outfit but actually through newegg.com so tracking info and such actually came through newegg.com. The coffee table is coming directly from the company. The info I received was different than what came through from newegg.com. Just the wording on the order page for the table was somewhat different than what I've experienced before. For instance the order never said that I'd get an email when the item shipped. What is said was something like "You will receive an email when your order is ready for shipment. This can take 3-7 days.". Sort of makes me wonder if it may not be that when it comes to furniture they build to order but something such as a rug would be an item that would be kept in stock and just sent. What makes me think this possible is that for the table I got emails for order confirmation, order ready, shipping and tracking yet did not even get an email conformation email on the rug. Who knows and I'm not complaining as, so far, things have been fine even if a bit different. LOL! If they do build furniture to order I hope whoever did the job was having a good and happy day. ;) I could contact and ask but as long as the table shows up Monday and all is fine I don't really see the need.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:28 pm 

Hmmm. doing a little contemplating as far as my new rug and water changes for my aquarium. The rug will be partially in an area the bucket for water changes usually sits on the floor and the rug is light colored and there is always 'dirt' in the siphoned water. I'm afraid of some water spillage, which often happens, staining the rug. This rug is not machine washable or able to be dry cleaned so needs professional rug cleaning.

I figure I have two options for this...

1) I could put the bucket on the new table for water changes but that would put the bucket much higher in relation to the tank which would lessen the siphon strength a lot. Also the chance of spillage would be the same and water could run off the table and still get to the rug. Spillage could also possibly cause water damage to the new table.

2) Get some tubing for the siphon to extend to where it is not in the area of the rug. Doing this I could keep the bucket away from the rug. As this would also put the bucket back on the floor the siphon suction would be, at least, close to current if not the same. I guess that I'd need to get two different lengths of tubing as I use two siphons one of which is smaller than the other to get between plants and such although I MAY be able to get an adapter that would allow me to use either siphon head on the same hose. All in all I think this to be the better choice.

Ya, I DO over think at times but it is better than under thinking.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:17 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a similar problem with my dog's big water bowl, which sits on the carpet in my family room. My solution was to set the water bowl in a metal baking pan (not tray). And then, as double protection, I set the baking pan on a plastic place mat. Thus far, my carpet has remained clean, and it is easy to keep the tray and place mat clean..

I do change the location of the water bowl every few weeks.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:11 am 

Sigh, I mentioned my concern on the aquatics forum I frequent and one of the moderators suggested the perfect solution. It is so obvious that I'm a bit ashamed for not thinking of it myself. ;)

A plastic sheet over the rug with towels around the bucket. Plastic sheet protects the rug and the towels suck up any spillage. I even have a spare shower curtain liner for the plastic sheet. I also have two towels that I use for dusting and general cleaning. Not sure how I ended up with the towels as they are printed with "Property of the Veteran's Administration" but they are mine now after finding them years after I got my apartment. They were in a storage container that I didn't open until years after moving into my apartment. :dunno:

Actually just opened the storage container less than a year ago and found the towels as it was covered and served as a night stand next to my bed. Real night stands just didn't seem important as the container did just fine. Got some real stands that actually look good even though they are plastic (don't look plastic) for free so now the container sits at the end of my bed with a comforter folded on top with the keyboard for my bedroom computer on the comforter. I know, seems odd to have the keyboard at the end of my bed but it is really out of the way and needed for entering my password as I have to restart the bedroom system every three or four days. Hey, it's a 10+ year old system running Windows 10. I'm a bit surprised it does as well as it does and it is fine for data and media backups that I do via GoodSync. ;) Also does fine for watching a movie in bed as it is HDMI connected to a 32 inch TV. Funny thing with the HDMI connection is that it is using a DVI output on my video. AMD video cards pulled a little trick by using unused connections on DVI to carry audio. AMD supplied the modified cable with the video card. I used to have this video card in my main and the sound through my Yamaha system was fine.

One of my many 'DUH' moments. ;)

Ya, I know I'm rambling again but it is pretty early morning for me and my brain is a bit cloudy. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Glad that you have a simple solution to protect the rug and your floor. Nothing weird about having a keyboard at the end of your bed. :-D Convenience is key and it's your home!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:41 am 

Yippee! Coffee table just arrived. Even though I didn't expect it to the lighting remote works on both the entertainment center and coffee table. One less clicker is always good. ;)

The LED lights for the coffee table has a battery pack but, since I'll be putting a powered USB hub in one of the compartments, I don't know that I'll use the battery pack.

I made a good choice getting the table in black marble. The light areas in the marble will tie in with the wood surface on the entertainment center. Of course the table is not real marble. ;)

Pictures will follow...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:30 pm 

All done. Pardon the clutter but still organizing. Of course the lighting will show more without the sun coming in my window. ;)

Table:
Attachment:
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG [ 458.26 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

Entertainment wall:
Attachment:
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG [ 403.38 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, on both my computer desks I use a lighted Logitech keyboard...that way at night I can turn the room/lamp lights down low and still see the keys on the keyboard. Now, the keyboard must be powered via USB cable and it doesn't have a lot of extra keys, but it does help create a relaxed atmosphere for me.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Looking good, Jay. I also love Eyore sitting on the floor below the monitor in the second photo!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:28 pm 

@BB: While I could do wired keyboard and mouse I sit about 8-9 feet from the computer. There are lighted wireless keyboards and I've thought about it just haven't done. I'll take a couple more pictures after the sun goes down and the lights show better. With the TV's and the low wattage hood lights in the hood for my stove I don't have a problem with seeing the keyboard anyway. LOL! Except that the keyboard's 'A', 'S' and 'E' keys are almost just black from wear.

@ Steve: I like everything except for the rug. Actually I like the rug but it will likely end up in my bedroom as it is too small for under the table. It was either 3'X5' or 5'X7'. I knew 5'X7' would be too big so took a chance on the 3'X5'. I need to see if I can find similar that is 4'X6'. That is the size I really need to cover the entire length of my couch, have it hit the front of the chair and not have the table on the edge.

LOL! As to my 'Pirate Eeyore'... He is my alter ego with the patch on his right eye and my being blind in my right eye. Once I get the junk off the chair that will be his home. He also fights with me as to the use of my surround sound headset. His head just seemed a good place to hold the headset. :mrgreen:

In the pic of the table the light colored thing in the lower left will be gone in the next day or two. Actually it is the back side of the back panels for the corner desk that used to hold my Asus laptop that I never used but kept. The desk will be going to a friend/neighbor that just got back in town.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:42 pm 

Sigh, an issue with the lighting for the table. Leave it off for a while then turn on and it is fine but fails to respond to the remote and starts fading in and out within a few minutes. I've already solved the issue but contacted the outfit's support before the actual problem dawned on me. The table lights come with a 3-AA battery pack which is what I'm currently. The thing is that normal AA batteries are 1.5 V and rechargeable are only 1.2 V. Boils down to I was actually only feeding 3.6 V instead of the designed 4.5 V. It has now been running on normal batteries for ~25 minutes without issue.

Since the table lighting is the same as the entertainment center to the point that either remote works for both at the same time I see no issue with going from the normal AA battery pack giving 4.5 V to the powered USB hub giving 5.0 V that will go in a cubicle on the table for my head set and game pad giving 5.0 V should be fine but I asked their support first just o play safe. Going from the battery pack's intended 4.5 V to the hub's 5.0 V should not be any impact but going from the actual intended 5.0 V to rechargeable 3.6 V is a pretty big difference. I think all is good but want confirmation from their support on using the powered hub before connecting just to be safe.

Oh, going from the rechargeable 3.6 V to regular batteries at 4.5 V also has made the table lighting brighter.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:28 pm 

Mostly for Steve...

Finally got all the paraphernalia off my chair is now back to being Claude's throne. Claude is my Pirate Eeyore. He seems to like sitting there next to me on my couch but he won't admit. He really like the surround sound headset as he can't hear Terabit, my cockatiel, sounding off. In fact, on several occasions, we have fought over the headset. Once he actually bit me which was really hard for him as his mouth does not open. Still not sure how he managed to bite. :dunno:

Then there are the 3 bears which are happy to have Claude out of their faces. Baby bear on the right is happy to have gotten a new chair. Mama bear on the left is happy to have family happy and safe again. Daddy bear, in the middle, is a bit sad as he was having an affair with Goldilocks and she is now doing 5-10 for breaking and entering and malicious vandalism.

Attachment:
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG [ 394.43 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG [ 385.84 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

:D :lol: :tup:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:29 am 

New rug ordered. Actually I went a totally different style but think the colors are a better fit. I did want some geometric affect and I think this rug, especially with the straight black lines, still fits that just in a different way. Also this rug is less likely to show stains that I'm sure will happen as I eat at my coffee table. Shoot, with the table being larger things are not the same as I'm used to having; already knocked over 2 glassed of drink. Fortunately both were ice water so no damage.

I think I'm going to like this more than the original that will go in my bedroom. I've said before about things 'being brought together' and I think this rug will do this better than the original. The darkest parts match the black on my electronics wall but have the lighter streaks that will blend with the marble finish on the coffee table. The middle and lighter colors will blend with the marble top of my dinette and parts of my carpet.

Another plus is that this rug is machine washable while the original is not. Kind of weird with me but I always seem to get discounts. The new rug, original rug and coffee table all here at a discount.

One of the first things I'm going to do with the new rug is to cut the thing. Nothing major just a small slit to run a USB cable and power cord for my USB hub. The table has LED lighting that is best USB powered and I have a USB game pad and headset. A little half inch slit in the rug will allow me to have my powered USB hub in a cubicle on the table with the power cord and USB cable running under the rug. With the headset and game pad then in a cubicle on the table I will cut down from 3-4 wires going across my floor to one that would be the connection from my main system to the hub. Even that one open cable would be short as it would just be visible from the computer to the chair. Everything else would be covered. From the slit in the rug to the table I'll use plastic wire slip ties to bind the two wires to a black leg on the table. Unless someone knew about the wires I doubt that they would even be noticed.

New rug is estimated to arrive Monday, August 21. It's from Amazon and I have Prime but the 2 day Prime free delivery is business days.

Not many reviews, only 5, but all are solid 5 stars. Also, while I don't know where it came from, there was a checkbox to apply a 20% coupon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C629P78Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attachment:
2nd rug.jpg
2nd rug.jpg [ 163.21 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:47 pm 

For something I didn't even think I'd even use I sure do like the LED lighting. In fact I like it enough that I may see if the manufacturer, Bestier, will sell me just the light strip and USB cable from the coffee table to mount behind the left hand stand. If they will do it I'd rather get through them even though I could likely get cheaper through New Egg or Amazon. That way I could be sure the colors would be an exact match. This would give me the accent lighting along the entire wall.

Hey Steve, you said that you liked the purple lighting. What do you think about having it on the entire wall?

Off topic but what a mess at my apartments! A local plumbing outfit was in replacing some water valves in around 20 units. Well they botched the job and 3 units and a hallway ended up flooded. Fortunately my apartment didn't need a replacement so I have not been personally affected but I feel bad for those that were. Two units were so bad that it wasn't just wet carpet but standing water with the ceilings 'raining' water. Repairs are going to cost the plumbing outfit, or their insurance, a fortune! :(

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

I think that using the purple lighting along the wall would look great with the lighting of your table.
Ouch on the plumbing fiasco -- glad you weren't personally impacted.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:59 am 

That wasn't bad. :) Just ordered the light strip for $9.99 with no shipping.

<edit>
Also ordered a mouse pad. Mouse works fine on the table top but wanted a pad to protect the finish on the table. I just got a regular pad but was surprised that there pads that are 3 feet long, :dunno: I think they are really for both mouse and keyboard.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:04 pm 

Sigh, another ramble. ;) :rofl2:

I'm fighting with myself. ;) My, new, new area rug showed up today which will replace my, old, new rug. I love it and so want to place it but I know I need to let it sit up-side-down for a day to let it finish flattening. Actually I suppose that I could place it now but best to let it sit for a day. I was surprised that it didn't come rolled up as most do. This came folded which means a day of sitting will probably do it as there are just some small ridges. When they come rolled it takes a lot longer to flatten as the ends are pretty strongly curled.

This new rug is going to fit perfectly from the front edge of my easy chair to the end of my couch. I intend to cut a small slit in the rug so I can run some wires under so they aren't open on the floor. These wires will be the USB power cord for the accent lights in the table, my game pad, and my surround sound headset. I will do it but want to give a little time to decide whether to put the powered USB hub for these things under my easy chair and run the cables for everything under the rug or to just run the power cord and USB cable from my main computer under the rug and put the USB hub in a compartment facing me in the table. It will probably be the second way as there would be one less wire to run under the rug and I'd end up with a larger range of movement with the game pad and headset as their wires would be right in front of me. Which ever way I go the slit in the rug will be right by a leg of the coffee table. Since the table legs are black I'll just use black 'slip' type wire ties and snip off the ends to run the wires up the leg of the table so they are not loose and prone to get caught on anything such as my foot. ;)

This is all sort of exciting as, believe it or not, at almost 69 years old it will be the first time I've had the opportunity to do things 100% as I want and having the money to do it. I mean I've had the money other times but there was always someone I was involved with that thought they knew what I wanted more than did I. Now it is just me and I can do exactly what I want. :)

Eventually I MAY replace my couch and easy chair with possibly black or tan leather as the current ones are sort of a different style but no hurry on that as what I have is fine and doesn't really clash or anything. It is just that the couch and chair are more of... I guess you would call it a classic style... while everything I'm doing is much more modern.

Sorry this ended up so long. I'm just a bit exited about all this. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:50 pm 

OK, so I lost the battle about laying out the new rug. ;) It worked out perfect as the 6 foot width is perfect as to fitting and wires that will run under the rug and up the closer (to me) black left leg of the table will be black and the table leg sits right on a black area of the rug. The black wires will not even be visible unless you know they are there.

Ignore the black thing in the lower left as it is the corner desk that is going to a friend and will be gone. He just started a new job 5 days ago and we just have not got together to move the desk to his place.

On the right side of the image you can see a bit of the light wood surface on the entertainment center. I think the rug also blends well with this. And there are colors in the rug that are close enough to some colors in the couch and chair that it doesn't matter. Then the black areas of the rug do pretty well as to matching the black marble surface of the table.

There is still some stuff to deal with just to the right of the chair but that is trivial. The black thing leaning against the wall is just the side cover for my main computer and just needs to be slid in next to the 'back side' of the computer. I run my desktops open. Other than that it is just some stuff to figure where to put and wires that will disappear.

When I'm in my apartment I'm bare foot. This rug is SO soft it feels REALLY good
:)

Couch and table with the original rug that is now in my bedroom:
Attachment:
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG [ 458.26 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

Newer rug now in place. I think it is MUCH better and, since it is my place, mine is the only opinion that matters. ;)
Attachment:
new-new rug and table-small.JPG
new-new rug and table-small.JPG [ 445.99 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:55 am 
welcoming committee

No, since you are my friend, my opinion also matters. And I think you did GREAT in all your selections. I especially like the uniqueness of your table.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:31 pm 

bbarry wrote:
No, since you are my friend, my opinion also matters. And I think you did GREAT in all your selections. I especially like the uniqueness of your table.

Thanks. :) I have another light strip on order to extend the accent lighting along the rest of the 'entertainment' wall but it will probably be a week before it arrives.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:42 pm 

Looks like a bit of a delay on the added light strip. Not the seller's fault as I asked for the light strip and did not express the need for the USB cable needed for power. Actually support for all this has been really good and prompt as to responses. We 'talked' and agreed that a hold would be put on the light strip shipping until the other cable is cleared for shipment from the factory. From my end shipping is free but why have them pay shipping twice when I can't use the light strip without the USB cable anyway? :dunno:

As they explained some of this is up to the factory as they have to maintain sufficient stock of these 'side items' to meet production of whole units. The lady I've been dealing with has not expressed any stocking issues but did express the possibility and that the factory had to be involved. I can totally understand this as they sell furniture, not accent lights. If I were to be running things entire units would also come first. Personally I think their support is doing really well in trying to get me what I want even though what I want is not a normal sales item.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:13 pm 

If I get the emails right both the light strip and USB cable have been approved by the factory but a shipping date has yet to be sent. The light strip is already approved but on hold until the USB cable is officially approved.

Haven't done yet but have decided on how I'm going to do the wiring to the table. The choices were to put the powered USB hub under my easy chair and just run USB extension cables for the table light, game pad and headset. The other option is to run an extension cord from the outlet to the table along with just one USB extension cable. Even though I'll have to cut a bigger slot in the new area rug for the extension cord this is the way I'm going... Shoot, it is going to be like a half inch difference in the cut. It just seems that it makes more sense to have just two wires going under the rug rather than four.

So here is how the wiring will go. -- short interlude while I feed my fish. :mrgreen: -- So I will have a black 6 foot USB extension cable coming out of the front of my main system that will run under my easy chair. A black extension power cord will also run under the same chair. There is an outlet right next to the chair for the extension cord so there is next to no visible wire for this cord.

YEA! We now have USB and power to the table with a minimum of open wires. I MAY get another smaller area rug to cover the USB going from my main system to under the chair but I don't think there is much risk if the wire is open as, even if someone, probably me, caught their foot on the cable it would just unplug from the front of the computer.

So what does this do for the table? Since the USB hub would not be in a cubicle on the table facing me so I just plug in my game pad and headset without adding more floor wires and, also giving me the full length of cables for these devices. While that is all good I now have four power outlets within the table via the extension cord... well three outlets since one is used by the USB hub. I initially put my Macbook Air on top of my Yamaha sound system in front of the stand for my 55 inch TV. With now having power to the table the Macbook and charger can now also go in a cubicle facing me within the table along with the USB hub, headset and game pad. Just seems to me to be the best solution to minimize wires hanging around. Ya, it takes me a while to decide exactly how I'm going to do something like this but I think that may come from my years as a machinist. An old saw in machining is to measure twice and cut once.

I also said that I wanted to get a mouse pad to protect the top surface of the new table and did. I sort of wanted something aquatic but nothing I found tripped my trigger but I DO have a bird/demon. The first image below is a pad I already have that reflects my bird from Hades but I MAY get another. Walgreens does custom mouse pads from an image and I may have one done involving my rope fish. Only shows his face but I think it would make a pretty cool pad. This would be the second image below.

Current bird mouse pad:
Attachment:
bbird pad.jpg
bbird pad.jpg [ 105.75 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Image for a possible custom mouse pad:
Attachment:
clide round effect.jpg
clide round effect.jpg [ 208.6 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:11 am 

Sigh, I am sometimes so happy that I don't rush at things. Don't know why it took so long to remember about these things. :dunno:

Wire covers will work fine and I won't need to cut the new area rug to run wires under. I got brown for the main carpet and black for the area rug. There will be zero loose wires. :)

Attachment:
wire cover.jpg
wire cover.jpg [ 122.24 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Good idea to use the wire covers. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion