Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Moving
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it is happening. I think that I mentioned that we were planning to move from NJ to VA about 5 years ago, right after I retired. My wife is from Bridgewater, VA. I was born and raised here in northern NJ, settling in Butler 25 years ago when my wife and her daughter moved up here with me -- we were married a year after she moved up, so it is our 24th anniversary on the 21st of this month. My parents passed away 13 years ago. My sister and I aren't particularly close, though we do keep in touch, she lives 2 hours away and we haven't seen each other in a dozen years.

Five years ago we actually thought we were ready to move and made an offer on a house and decided we couldn't leave our current home a little too late. We had to go through with the purchase, but immediately put it back on the market. We lost some money in the process, but it was the right decision at the time.

Over the last few years we would check out what was on the market in the Bridgewater area, knowing that the time to move was fast approaching. Our current home is 4 stories, if you include the walk-up attic which I have used as an exercise room, shipping area for eBay sales, storage, and a bit of a computer lab. As we get older, the layout and size of this house will become a problem. If something happens to either of us that limit our mobility we would be screwed because there is no bathroom on the main floor. And there's nobody to lend a hand, either. We have 3 granddaughters by my stepdaughter - 14, 7, and 10 months. My mother-in-law is also down there at age 81, living alone. It made sense to consider relocating to the area.

In early April, my wife was perusing Zillow and spotted this listing --
https://klinemay.com/listing/VA/Bridgewater/106-Hickory-Ln-22812/170077628
It checked most all of the boxes on what we were looking for. We contacted the listing agent and set up a virtual tour of the home. We made an offer and it was accepted.

We Closed on the purchase on the 22nd of May. We have been packing our stuff over the past several weeks and are currently surrounded by boxes! The movers will be here to load our belongings on Monday between 9 and 10. My wife is heading down with our 3 dogs before the movers arrive and will be staying at a local pet friendly hotel we have stayed at many times before when visiting. I will stay behind to oversee the move and to do the final clean out before driving down on Tuesday morning. The movers are scheduled to be at our new house early Wednesday morning to unload and then the unpacking begins!

I am fortunate that I had the means to purchase the new house before selling our current house. The listing is now live for it, but it will not be shown until we are out. Our realtor has scheduled the first showings to be on the 17th. We are hoping for a quick and painless sale. The market is pretty crazy right now with low inventory and most sales are quick and above asking, often with multiple offers!
Here is our listing on Zillow --
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39-Bartholdi-Ave-Butler-NJ-07405/39396656_zpid/?view=public

-steve

Post subject: Re: Moving
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Looks good! Congrats!! :)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:08 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, been there and done that several times, although I have now been in my retirement home for 26 years (the longest of anyplace I've lived).

Sounds like you have things well under control...best of luck to you and your wife.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Wow! The house you currently live in looks incredible... and the sale price is off the scale crazy cheap compared to what you'd expect to pay for something like that in the UK! :shock:

I wish you and your good lady all the very best and many happy years in your new home :gluck:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, all!
We are moved into our new house and slowly unpacking boxes and making it our new home. Besides some frustration from my wife about needing to deep clean everything after having done that in NJ before we left, the moving in is going fairly well. The sellers left us a clean house, but basically what is known as "broom clean." We left our house in NJ pretty much immaculate... On Friday evening we had my wife's daughter, her boyfriend, and our 3 granddaughters over for a while. We ordered pizza and ate at our dining room table, which has only had Pennie and I seated at it for years -- it was nice. The dogs seem to be comfortable with the new digs, too. They will like it even more once we can get the back yard fenced in for them as we have to take them out on leash for now. There is still loads to do to get organized here.
Our house in New Jersey is priced on the low side because we want it to sell quickly. Zillow estmates it to be worth between $450K and $550K. So, we are priced slightly below that low end. Doddie, our house would also sell for much higher in other areas of the USA. Our area is not one of the most expensive, but also not one of the cheapest. That house in some parts of the US would be worth up to $100K less than what we're asking for it in NJ. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:54 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad the move went well. :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion