Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 pm 
welcoming committee

I did a search here in CH to read up on the discontinuation of updates on Windows 7 but did not find any. Is it true about the updates being discontinued? I had heard something about it quite a while ago but haven't seen much lately. I remember I could not update my Win 7 to Win 10 free that time but was hoping there was a better solution by now.

Thanks for any ideas!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet

Client operating systems End of mainstream support End of extended support
Windows 7, service pack 1* January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... -7-support

-steve

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Of course, no more security updates is relative. I just read this about a rare Windows XP update being released -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/3395477 ... ploit.html\

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
Of course, no more security updates is relative. I just read this about a rare Windows XP update being released -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/3395477 ... ploit.html\

Then this makes the second time that Microsoft has offered a patch for a serious threat after XP's end of life. I can't remember the threat name but Microsoft also did this about a year after XP reached end of life.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve and Jay for the great info! It does make sense that prior versions eventually get phased out; time to look around again ;). katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm 

Depending on your current system it may be possible to just upgrade to Windows 10.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Not sure why but I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 on this HP that I got (guessing) with XP or Vista and upgraded ea. new version but the Win 7 (Dell) I couldn't upgrade free, can't remember why. I think (but not sure) its because it is a Win 7 originally from 2013 and this older HP was a higher version so could be upgraded more easily.

Earlier I thought I didn't want to sink more $$ into the Win 7 with the upgrade but now I'm rethinking that maybe I will. It's sure a lot easier than trying to look for a new laptop. Having some health issues too and not sure how my future looks so I like the idea of taking life easier ;).

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 pm 

I hope that the health issues work out well...

It would help to know a bit about your laptop as to if it will do decently with Windows 10 if you decide to go that route. If you could give the make and model we might be able to look it up to see the specs. Or you could go to 'System' in your Control Panel and let us know the CPU (Processor) and amount of memory. Then you would go to 'Device Manager' and let us know what video/display you have.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, that would be great if you could go over what I find and send. Will check this out in next few days and send..... This would help me a LOT, thanks Jay!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 pm 

YW

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:33 pm 
welcoming committee

I was able to get 2 images, hope I get these installed here ok. Imaging info wasn't much in device manager but maybe make/model will tell more at Dell. Just let me know if you need me to try another image.... Thanks! katy

Attachments:
New Picture (4).jpg
New Picture (4).jpg [ 32.3 KiB | Viewed 6774 times ]
New Picture (3).jpg
New Picture (3).jpg [ 32.78 KiB | Viewed 6774 times ]

- Barbara Corcoran
 Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:48 pm 

While it would run Windows 10 I doubt that it would do so very well. A 1.8GHz. I3 CPU/processor isn't really up to the task. Still, it DOES meet the minimum requirements of a 1GHz. CPU and 2 GB of memory. If you don't mind a long boot time and it being sluggish until everything is loaded I am confident that it would work. I do wish your system had an I5 CPU instead of the I3. At least there are Windows 10 drivers available for the system. Although I see reports of the wireless and/or keyboard dropping out with Windows 10, these are isolated cases, not the norm.

On a more negative side I have to mention that your system is not on Dell's tested and approved list for Windows 10.
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us ... -NB-OCT18U

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:20 pm 
welcoming committee

How about this one:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp ... 5kb3427prt

This would be on the list wouldn't it?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm 

Nope, not on the Dell list but would not expect it to be so as it already comes with Windows 10 so would not be on an upgrade list. :mrgreen:

If this is something that you are considering buying look at the 1 and 2 star reviews, there are a LOT of bad comments. If considering to buy there are some things that I don't like. First there too many reviews saying that it is VERY slow and sluggish. I rarely look at the 4-5 star reviews as I'm more interested with issues that are experienced. More tech type comments follow.

1) The battery is integrated. I would take to mean that it cannot be replaced without difficulty. If the battery goes bad you might as well throw the system away as it would probably cost you half the system cost to replace the battery. Also, the battery only has three cells which means that the run time on battery is probably not very long.

2) It uses system memory for the video. This is fine if you just watch videos but not so good if you do any type of photo or video editing as it will be very slow as to processing. Using shared memory for the video also causes other performance issues:
a. Even though the specs. show 8GB of memory you will not see that much as the video will use some.
b. While the memory is of decent speed it cannot perform at its full potential. As some of the system memory is used for video it can not run in dual channel mode which means that the memory only runs at 50% of the potential speed.

3) It has no optical (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) drive. This means that you would need to get an external optical drive to be able to install anything that comes on an optical disk. It looks to be possible to order this system with an optical drive but the cost would be higher.

Personally I would not buy this system but my needs are higher that what you probably need. I do a lot of video editing and converting. If you don't make much as to performance demands on a system it is probably OK as long as you don't mind a long boot time and sluggish performance. To be honest, compared to what you are now running, you may find it to be quick but that is an illusion and won't last.

Bottom line is that I believe that you could get a stronger system for the same money.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes I did look first at the 4 then 3 star then less, battery was an issue but I missed the part it was integrated.

Is there a site you could recommend that isn't high end but does allow entering what I 'need' and make changes to the final product?

(I have to make my typing short because if I stop typing, I end up continuing typing somewhere else and sometimes lose all I already typed. It's an issue I believe was brought on by a windows update but I have no proof. Hope you can tolerate short sentences. I had this problem yrs ago on a different laptop but it showed up now again, w/o changing laptops or mouse.)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: I also noticed you mentioned you heard of the keyboard dropping out, I did see a Dell laptop that I noticed didn't mention keyboard. How do people type on a unit like that then?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:19 pm 

I know that Dell will allow you to design a system and THINK that HP does the same. Velocity Micro, http://www.velocitymicro.com/ , will personally work with you on a system but bbarry can give more info as to their systems as he has had very favorable experiences with them.

Another option to get the most bang for your money is to look at https://newegg.com and https://tigerdirect.com as to their reconditioned/re-certified systems. YES! a reconditioned or re-certified system carries some risk but My Asus laptop was bought as such through Tiger Direct about 7.5 years ago and I have had zero issues. At the time it was a $1000.00 system and I paid $479.00. I also have a Belkin $200.00 router that I bought re-conditioned for $20.00-$30.00 1-2 years ago that has been flawless.

Even going new here is a system from New Egg that cost less than the one you linked yet has more power. Even though the CPU speed is lower than what you linked this system should perform better due to the video and hard drive. If I were in the market I might consider this for myself. Some of the pluses are the separate video so that it does not use system memory for video and the 1TB SSHD drive which is a hybrid that is faster than a totally mechanical drive but slower than an SSD. The drive is a good option considering size, cost and speed. Please understand that I am not recommending this system, just showing an option. If you were to buy neither myself nor Computer Haven would be considered responsible if you did not like. That said, I sort of kind of like this system for normal everyday usage.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4935
It looks to get average to middle high reviews.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:20 pm 

katy98 wrote:
PS: I also noticed you mentioned you heard of the keyboard dropping out, I did see a Dell laptop that I noticed didn't mention keyboard. How do people type on a unit like that then?

If you look at an image of the system I'm sure that there is a keyboard.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Katy, my last three desktop computers have been from Velocity Micro, and all are still running (approx ages 15, 7 and 4 years). The oldest one still runs Win 7, the next one runs Win 7 & Win 10 in a dual mode, and my latest one runs Win 10 (with Win XP in virtual mode because of some very old programs). You can configure your system online, with prices shown for each/every item (they will assist in the configuration if you need help). All their computers are custom built there in Virginia, and each system receives free lifetime support from a U.S.-based call center. Although I have never taken advantage of it, they also have a lifetime upgrade program for their computers.

No, I don't receive any commission from Velocity Micro, lol. I am just a very satisfied customer. Since I can't build my own system like Jay can, I must rely on a quality computer that I can configure and purchase online. Here is their website. Let me know if I can answer any questions about my dealings with them.
https://www.velocitymicro.com

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Barry, Jay and all, everything sounds so promising! But I have to take a bit of time off for a few days but will get back to you next week! Thanks for all the great info; can't wait to keep this going and find a winner. C u soon!! katy ps: I never assume anyone is selling me something here, all the info I get is received as welcome advice! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 pm 

I look forward to seeing what you do. :)

Just remember, Katy, that we try to give the best advice we can but are biased by personal experience and preference. You have to be the one to make the decision.

<edit>
I just went back and read this thread again from start to finish and am ashamed to notice that the most important question was never asked... What do you want to do with a computer? When I had my computer business clients always tended to ask what they needed. My automatic response was to say that I had no clue. To make an actual intelligent decision on a system one has to decide what they want the system to do and what software they want to run. Once that was determined I would recommend hardware for a build that would fit their needs. Actually I'd recommend a bit stronger hardware than was actually needed to allow for better longevity of the system.

Katy, what I'm trying to say is that you need to let us know what you want the system to do before we can effectively give relative advice as to if a system you are considering is good for you.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks so much bbarry and Jay!! All info is so helpful and I greatly appreciate all! bbarry: if I were quite a few yrs younger I would consider custom building a laptop but at this life stage I need to keep cost under $1000, hopefully between $400 and $600.
I don't need this laptop for gaming, just for online email, Bing searching, I would like MS Excel, Word and Outlook and I think I need to purchase the Home(?) Office with the annual renewal. Yes I'm paying for more than I use but I didn't see the annual renewal for just 3 of an Office package. I don't have an image to use for Outlook and Excel but I do have copies of the directories/folders on an external drive that I hope to copy to the new laptop if I can figure out where the new placement is. Currently I use: C:Users/katy98/Appl data/local/microsoft/outlook. These include Favorites and My Documents and a couple other folders that are included in the My Documents folder. I hope to mainly transfer the latest copy of the Outlook+archive email and Outlook calendar but its huge; includes pictures. (Outlook alone archive pst is 2,696,769 kb and Outlook pst is 5,392,529 kb so not sure what those equal).

I've purchased from NewEgg and Tiger Direct in previous yrs and have loved them both and the cost of the Asus laptop Jay sent seemed very doable but I didn't pay attention to memory and hd space. Now if what I mentioned I would use a new Win10 laptop for, shows that I need more than this Asus offers, could you suggest an upgraded laptop? I'd like something that doesn't stall when I want to go from one program to another so probably needs enough memory and hard drive space to allow for that.

I use Spectrum cable for Internet but I forget what speed I have but would I need to take that into account in a new Win10 or is there a recommended graphics in the processor I should look for? (I really don't know how to state these concerns, I just look in my System in CP :))

I don't do gaming or video work, I use for Utube web tutorials so I'd need enough of something to run those smoothly. I don't use my laptop for viewing or playing dvd movies, if I want to I use an HDMI cable to watch on my TV. Currently I've never customized a laptop purchase with that in mind and its worked fine.

I apologize for all the info and I'm sure I've missed some important points but what do you all think would suffice for a new Win10 laptop 15 -17" with the info I listed? And just let me know what more you may need. I find any info you give as VERY HELPFUL and I'd rather have a laptop that has more than I need rather than not enough, if it could be kept under $600 or so?

Thanks SO much for any advice!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: Happy Memorial Day to all and absolutely no hurry with anything from me :)!!!

Have FUN!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Katy, last year a friend of mine bought an Acer Swift laptop at Walmart for $499 on sale. I can't remember the specifics, but it came nicely equipped with Windows 10 Home already installed. He really likes the laptop and has had no problems to my knowledge.

Then a couple of years before that, another friend bought a similar Acer Swift laptop from Walmart, although she paid a few bucks more.

Why Walmart? Because we live in Arkansas, the home of Walmart, lol. And they guarantee the products they sell. You can also purchase refurbished Acer laptops through Walmart.

Both friends were going from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so using Microsoft Word I prepared a concise 3-page set of notes on using their new laptops and the key differences they would see between Windows 7 and 10. I would be glad to send you a copy of that document....it is really more about the Windows 10 software then the actual computer itself, so you might find it useful regardless of which computer you buy.

And good luck on your purchase......and happy holiday to you. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am 

I was already used to Windows 10 before I got my first machine that came with it already installed, but that was using desktop machines.

My first laptop was an Asus but that came with Windows 8 which I upgraded to 10. I only turn that on occasionally, just to keep it up to date.

The one I'm using now which came with Windows 10 is an HP Envy Convertible 2 in 1, the only problem though is it didn't come with a DVD drive, I just bought an external one. It didn't really matter though as I don't watch any films or very often listen to music on it so even if I hadn't bought one I don't think I would have missed it too much.
It came with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Hard Drive, it does have the usual USB slots, 1 of which is the new smaller 3 connection and a headphone and HDMI slot plus a memory card one.
There is absolutely no heat coming from it either which is wonderful.

Hope you manage to get one that suits you Katy and you enjoy using Windows 10. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows