Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I am being deluged with several emails each day like the one below that Bitdefender stops as "Potentially Malicious."
Some are addressed to me at a very old email address that is still active, but never used by me.
I want to unsubscribe from all these (all from the same spammer, I'm guessing), but I'm afraid to even click on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of each. What do you think? Would it be safe for me to do that?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-10-08 .png
Screenshot 2021-10-08 .png [ 214.79 KiB | Viewed 3118 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I only unsubscribe from things that I signed up for but no longer want. My fear is that, in many cases, clicking the unsubscribe in a spam email does nothing but confirm that the email address is valid.

If there is something common in the spam emails, such as common words in the subject and/or body, I would rather see a rule created to move the spam to a junk folder, or delete if the option is available in your email client.

You could also go to the old email address and close the account.

Steve is better at this kind of stuff than am I and may have better advice.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Jay. Don't click the unsubscribe link since it is spam. If your email provider has a web interface and a way to mark messages as Spam, do that. Alternatively, as Jay suggests, create a rule in your email program to mark as spam. If it is possible to view a list of new messages in your email program without opening them and move and/or mark messages as spam or delete them before opening, do that. It is best not to preview your email messages or open them if your inbox contains spam like this. It does sound like Bitdefender is alerting, but the fact that you can see the image suggests that it isn't blocking the content completely.
Since it is coming to an old email account, that suggests that your email address was on a list obtained by one or more mass mailers/spammers. If you really don't use that account any longer, closing the account is a good solution to stop seeing these if your provider or email program doesn't employ decent spam detection.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, guys. I'm exploring those solutions as I get time. I think using the Roadrunner webmail server might be the best way to go.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:44 am 
welcoming committee

I'm going to add to this post if I may. For the last couple weeks, 3 or 4 anyway, I have been receiving these in my spam folder of one MS email account. They go there because I only have safe senders come into my inbox. I have changed both of my MS email passwords to be safe yet these keep coming. I haven't replied to or clicked on any of the links in the email. These are probably not legit. Possibly an elaborate spam/phishing email scheme? Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
File comment: MS spam/phishing email
MS Phishing Email.png
MS Phishing Email.png [ 152.51 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

It certainly *looks* legitimate, but the links you've highlighted suggest otherwise. Without seeing the message headers it isn't 100% possible to confirm, though.

What you can do is go to your Microsoft Account in a browser, sign in and go to Security, Sign-in activity. Review that to see successful sign ins and attempts. In my case, I see a failed attempt, using an incorrect password in the early morning hours today and a slew of failed IMAP sync attempts from all over the world between 10/22 and 11/9.

If you have a strong password and don't see any successful logins other than those that you know about, you should be fine. You could further improve the account security by enabling two-step verification or going passwordless, which requires using the authenticator app.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:28 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
It certainly *looks* legitimate, but the links you've highlighted suggest otherwise. Without seeing the message headers it isn't 100% possible to confirm, though.

What you can do is go to your Microsoft Account in a browser, sign in and go to Security, Sign-in activity. Review that to see successful sign ins and attempts. In my case, I see a failed attempt, using an incorrect password in the early morning hours today and a slew of failed IMAP sync attempts from all over the world between 10/22 and 11/9.

If you have a strong password and don't see any successful logins other than those that you know about, you should be fine. You could further improve the account security by enabling two-step verification or going passwordless, which requires using the authenticator app.

-steve

I checked my account and didn't see any suspicious login attempts or attempts to change my password. I'm confident my password has a high strength level. I'll look into the MS Authenticator App. Thanks Steve.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure that the emails you are receiving are indeed phishing attempts based on the odd emails in the links you show.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security