Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
My LG 42 inch HDTV quit working after ~8 years so I just bought a new set. I got a Hisense 43 inch 4K Roku Smart TV and, with tax, it only cost me $258.00. Hisense, to my knowledge, isn't a big name set but still... I'm not a big fan of smart devices but it's hard these days to find a set that isn't. Going to have to look through the settings to see if I can disable automatic firmware updates as they seem to be the biggest security risk.

I was also surprised at the difference in a 4K set as to the display. My old LG was 1080. I never realized the difference with a 4K set was so dramatic. Going to have to try some movies such as Avatar and How To Train Your Dragon to see how they look. Hey, I have Aquaman on Blu-ray. That would be a good test.

I don't know that I'll end up using the Roku features but may use the Netflix and Prime Video options. Currently I just use my web browser for both. And who knows, I may check out Roku TV to see cost compared to my cable. If it all looks good I could talk myself into dropping cable. One deal breaker on this possibility would be a lack of availability of the NFL Network and NFL Red Zone. A search would seem to indicate that they are available. Also have to see if Roku channels are available via a web browser. Probably are but, if not, it would be another deal breaker as I would not be able to send to my second 32 inch display. Then again I could easily pick up another 32 inch Roku set for less than $200.00. All going to depend on channel availability and price difference. Of course going with Roku would be cheaper than Spectrum cable but will it really once I'm off the TV, Internet and phone bundle?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, TVs have certainly gotten cheaper.
I could save quite a bit by dropping cable TV -- the bundle savings is pretty minimal relative to the cost of cable TV. I rarely watch TV -- my wife watches and switching to streaming only would make her crazy! :-)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm 

sboots wrote:
I rarely watch TV -- my wife watches and switching to streaming only would make her crazy! :-)

Since I'm already crazy... :rofl2: :mrgreen:

Actually I may consider also replacing my second 32 inch display with a 4K unit. The difference totally is amazing me. Since I watch TV and movies more on the second display than the larger it might make sense to do so. Since I decided to not do a new computer build at this time I have $2500.00 in my 'slush fund'. Mayhaps even replace my Yamaha virtual surround sound unit with a real surround sound.... With me who knows but there are possibilities. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

The difference between 1080 and 4K really does amaze me. For instance on my busted 1080 I ran the DPI at 150%. With this new unit I'm down to 125% and all is fine.

Sigh, still never seems to work out that everything fits perfect. The 'legs' on the new TV are about an inch and a half too wide to fit on my Yamaha sound system. No big deal as I have it currently blocked up to allow for the overhang. Next time I'm out I'll pick up a shelving type board to use as a base for the TV. The top surface of the entertainment center is plenty wide enough but there is really nowhere else I can put the Yamaha sound system other than between the TV and top of the entertainment center.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

:-D Yes, you and I are both crazy. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:55 am 

I've been living in the past I guess as I only have two Blu-ray disks, Angels and Demons and Aquaman. I'm in the process of watching Aquaman and I cannot deny that the video quality of the new TV being 4K makes a substantial difference. Since I was happy with my old broken display I never thought about it but the difference between 1080 and 4K is quite impressive.

I have to laugh at myself a bit as, when I started Aquaman, I could not get any audio. So happens that I use third party software that allows for multiple audio sources at the same time. The settings for this third party audio system was set to use my broken LG TV which is no longer connected. Finally got through my thick skull that I needed to set the software to use the new TV. Once I did that all was and is fine. :) Why do I need to be able to have two audio sources? I guess that I really don't but it is convenient. The two that I use are the TV channeled through my Yamaha system and my surround sound headset. If I want to crank volume late at night I use the headset and mute the Yamaha. It is just a LOT easier than opening the sound applet in my control panel and changing sound devices. Both audio devices are always active and I just mute the one not in use. Works like magic. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

I love this and will definitely replace my second display with another 4K unit.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 am 

I agree with you about the quality of 4K, I'll say the difference it made when we changed over from analogue TV to digital made a big impression.

We went from a 28" CRT TV to a 40" HD TV and it was unbelievable. When that broke down the repair people didn't even bother to come and look at it they just bought us a new one and that was a 43" 4K HDRTV Smart TV made by TCL. We've never heard of the makers but it's brilliant, the bedroom one is an LG 32" HDTV, mind you I don't use any of the smart apps it has or the flash drive socket.

The only things connected to it are the SkyQ box and a Blu-ray box, I don't have any Blu-ray discs either.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:17 pm 

I've already decided that I'm going to get another 4K unit as my second living room display. I won't go as large as the 43 inch I got yesterday but mayhaps a little bigger than my current 32 inch Sanyo. I'll put the 32 inch Sanyo in my bedroom replacing the current 32 inch Emerson. I'll just give away the 32 inch Emerson to a lady I used to work with that barely survives week to week due to her daughter and grandchild living with her. She is a good lady and I have no problem with helping her out when able. Shoot, her computer and current 20 inch monitor were donation stuff I put together. I really don't have the room to just store the extra TV so why not let it be put to good use?

The real reason for this post is to ask if anyone has a recommendation as to surround sound systems. I don't really need one as my Yamaha system is pretty decent.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/sound_bar/srt-1000/features.html
Check it out. It's a pretty unique design. One thing that I consider cool is that it has LED lights when you are changing volume or whatever but they tun off when not actively in use leaving a plain black face with no distracting lights. Not even a constant power light. It is advertised as true surround sound but I don't consider it to really be so. Bouncing focused 'sound beams' off of walls just isn't the same as having dedicated and positioned speakers. It DOES sound REALLY good though...

If I do get a real surround sound system to replace the Yamaha I'd put the Yamaha in my bedroom. Not sure that I will but might. If I do are there any recommendations? One requirement is that I'd want wireless satellite speakers as I don't intend to run wires along my baseboards.

I don't need a super system as I live in a 1-bedroom apartment. The 1000 watt per channel Optimus system I had in Florida would never be really put to good use as I have to consider volume levels not bothering other residents. I am much more interested is sound quality than raw power. Since you DO need some power to drive decent speakers I would guess that something in the range of 150-250 watts per channel would be fine.

Do I NEED to go actual surround sound? Absolutely not but I'm 66 and retired with some money I can spend without worry. I'm allowed to buy something just because I want even if there is no real need. :ugeek: :mrgreen: :geek:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 am 

Finding that it is not an easy task to find a 4K 32-37 inch set. :( Almost everything in a 32 inch is 720P. Found a few 1080P sets in 32 inch but they cost almost twice as much as I paid for the 43 inch 4K unit.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 pm 

Hmmm, I have a re-think going on... :mrgreen:

The display on the new 4K TV is just too good to not use it for my normal TV and movie viewing. I went ahead and made the smaller 32 inch unit the default monitor. The problem with doing that is that the thing is just too small and I have to set my DPI to 150% to do such things as post here and email. So I think that I'm just going to get a larger set in 4K which would be cheaper than getting even a 1080P 32 inch.

Of course doing the above would make it necessary to move some photos up higher but that isn't really a big deal as I'd just measure up how many inches would be needed and reset the hanging hooks. It would involve 7 photos, a clock and 6 sconces. Minor pain but no big deal. Would need to raise the photos and stuff or get another small book case type thing that mostly holds my radio control stuff as this shelving unit is ~4 inches taller than the entertainment center so a larger display would also sit higher blocking some of the photos and sconces.

However I want to open up the old 42 inch LG 1080P (or 1080I; not really sure) and blow it out with compressed air to be sure the issue isn't thermal. It just bugs me that it starts to power up then shuts down before finished. What the heck? If it were a computer I'd consider a thermal issue. It would seem that normally the thing would either work or be dead, not somewhere in between. ;)

In any case I think that I'm going to end up with a larger second display. Since I want the 4K unit for movies and TV there isn't really another direction to go but to increase the size of the second display although I could see going up to a 50-55 inch main screen and using the new 43 inch as the second.

LOL! Timing, they say, is everything. They are replacing some plumbing in my apartment and I want to wait until they are done before having the LG set opened and spread out. :ugeek: :geek:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Souds like a plan.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:02 pm 

sboots wrote:
Sounds like a plan.

Yep, it is a plan. I don't really expect any success with opening the dead LG 42 inch TV but why not? I already have a partial can of compressed air and can also use a vacuum hose. If nothing else it would be interesting to see what one of these things look like on the inside. I remember a laptop that was owned by a young guy that would keep shutting down. He had both cats and dogs. The shutdowns were thermal due to the fan being fouled by critter hair to the point it couldn't spin. Then there was the case of my thinking that I blew the video card in my main system that turned out to be thermal and was solved with compressed air.

What I don't get is the use of left and right independent legs on newer models instead of a central stand. I was able to solve with a shelf section but it would sure be nice to have a central stand. Don't know if it will be permanent but below is my solution. If I do buy a 50-55 inch set it will have to have a central stand. Going through 8-9 pages of sets on the Walmart site this is the only one at 55 inch that has a central stand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Class-4K-UHD-2160P-NanoCell-Smart-TV-with-HDR-55NANO81UNA-2020-Model/605363317

It is an LG which is a plus with me and I don't mind the $646.99 price tag. If purchased it would become the main display sitting on top of the Yamaha sound. The 43 inch new set would become the second display using the same shelf section on top of a little book case unit where the current 32 inch is located. Since I see such a dramatic difference with 4K this is the probable result. The difference isn't just with TV and movies as the computer output is also much more clear and distinct. One may ask why I would want an LG when it was an LG that just died. Simple answer is that the old LG was on pretty much 24/7 for 7.5-8 years. Ya, I'm now turning off the new 43 inch set and just leaving my computer on 24/7. ;)

Attachment:
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG [ 148.5 KiB | Viewed 3705 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't really been paying attention to TV designs, so seeing the two legs instead of a central post/stand is unusual to me.
And, yes, dust can be a real problem!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:06 pm 

sboots wrote:
I haven't really been paying attention to TV designs, so seeing the two legs instead of a central post/stand is unusual to me.

LOL! Talk about not following current TV designs... ;) The LG 55 inch has what is called NanoCell technology. Do I even have a clue as to what that is? Not a chance! All I can follow is that it seems to give better color purity... :dunno:

Assuming this happens (probable) The LG would become my main TV, streaming and movie set. The new Hisense would become the main computer screen Would take me a few days to get used to the display positions as, currently the main computer display is on the right with the TV, streaming and movie display is on the left. This would be reversed and likely to take a few days to get acclimated. I've already tried what the new screen positions would be and it does seem odd but I'm sure that would not last long. Plus I can have anything on either display. And I DO mean just about anything. I have a USB TV tuner that connects to cable, DVD player and a VCR. Yes, I actually have a VCR. Don't often use the VCR but the software for the tuner allows me to use it as a DVR which means that I can convert a VCR tape to DVD. :mrgreen:

I'll probably go to Walmart tomorrow to see if the 55 inch LG is in stock. If it is not I'll have to order on-line and not get until around June 22nd and we already know how good I am about waiting for things to be delivered... :rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
If it is not I'll have to order on-line and not get until around June 22nd and we already know how good I am about waiting for things to be delivered... :rofl2:

LOL! Can't you check stock on the Walmart site for the area stores?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:
If it is not I'll have to order on-line and not get until around June 22nd and we already know how good I am about waiting for things to be delivered... :rofl2:

LOL! Can't you check stock on the Walmart site for the area stores?

Yes I can check on-line but only during checkout when ordering on-line it would seem. I need to do some errands tomorrow anyway and Walmart is less than 5 minutes from where I live. Just as easy to just check the store since I'll be out anyway.

<edit>

Actually I just did the on-line order bit to check for local store availability and it was not there so I did an on-line order. Should arrive on June 21st. LOL! Now comes the waiting anxiety! :mrgreen: :rofl2: Don't quite understand why delivery can't be made to the store for pickup as that would be quicker but assume it due to the item being sold through Walmart Marketplace instead of directly by Walmart. Don't know if that is actually the case but makes sense even though it is stated as sold by Walmart.

LOL! This is going to give me a 55 and 43 inch 4K display in my living room along with the 24 inch external monitor attached to my laptop. Hello football season! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Oh, the anxiety of waiting!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:52 am 

You sound a bit like me when it comes to waiting for deliveries Jay, plus it's been made worse by the pandemic, and quite often the things I have ordered end up coming from China so an even longer delay. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:01 pm 

JoanA wrote:
You sound a bit like me when it comes to waiting for deliveries Jay, plus it's been made worse by the pandemic, and quite often the things I have ordered end up coming from China so an even longer delay. :rofl2:

I always try to remember to check where something ships from but sometimes forget. It seems that every time I forget to check it is from China. :(

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am 

I know what you mean, quite often I think it's coming from somewhere else but ends up being from China.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:46 pm 

I was a bit concerned as the emailed invoice did not show my apartment number in the delivery address. I contacted customer service and they said the invoice never shows the complete address and the actual label has the apartment number.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:29 pm 

I really do sort of wonder if Walmart exaggerates their delivery time to get positive reviews due to the item showing up earlier than scheduled. This HDTV is only the second time I've order from Walmart on-line, the other being the expandable game pad I got for my Surface 3, so the sample is way too small to make any real statement. With the game pad it arrived 3-4 days early. With the HDTV Walmart tracking says delivery will be June 21st but, if I go to the actual Fed-Ex tracking, it says delivery will be June 17th. If my guess on this is correct I guess it is a good marketing ploy but I kind of find it a little underhanded. On the other hand I'm not a fan of Walmart so may just be looking for something to pick on. ;) In any case I'll be happy getting it on the 17th instead of the 21st. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen the same with orders from Home Depot. I suspect that they are giving an estimate that is reasonable based on their processing time and the carrier's time in transit tables. Home Depot almost always beats their estimates as well.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 pm 

I don't know Steve. It just seems to be suspicious to me that the Walmart and Fed-Ex tracking differs by 4 days. Could well be innocent but seems to me that the tracking should match. :dunno:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it seems odd, but it isn't the "tracking" of the package movement, but the estimated delivery date. It would be more logical for Walmart to update the estimate once the package is handed over to FedEx.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm 

Not really all that big of a deal to me anyway Steve.

LOL! Something DID just dawn on me though. If the 55 inch LG shows up on Thursday, the 17th, as Fed-Ex tracking indicates, it will get here on the 4th anniversary of my retiring. Would be a nice anniversary prize! :mrgreen:

Have to chuckle at my sister in Ohio a bit. Her son bought her a Roku TV around a year ago and she went nuts on streaming. She has more streaming channels than I could remember to name. :o

I don't know if I'll end up dropping Spectrum but it is a possibility. If I do I'll drop Spectrum totally switching to Century Link for Internet and phone. If I do the switch I could get Century Link Internet and phone for either $39.00/month for three years or $49.00/month lifetime. With how provider prices seem to keep increasing I think the $49.00 lifetime would probably be the better choice. Would be slower than Spectrum at 60 Mb/sec rather than 100 Mb/sec but I can easily live with that. Shoot, Spectrum is so bad here that a lot of times I only get around 30 Mb/sec. Right now I'm paying Spectrum ~$90.00/month for Internet and phone not including TV. My total Spectrum bill is a bit over $200/month. Looking at dropping Spectrum and going Century Link for Internet and phone it would leave me a bit over $150.00/month for video streaming. If I remember correctly getting my sports channels would be ~$25.00/month leaving ~$125.00/month before equaling what I pay Spectrum. I don't think that I could get to the $125.00 if I tried as I really don't watch all that many channels. To be honest I'd come close to what I need just through free channels such as Tubi and, probably at least, 30 other free options.

This could be interesting. :mrgreen:

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion