Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Office 365 renewal
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 am 
welcoming committee

Hi All, its been a while but today I noticed my credit card was charged for another yr of Office 365. I wasn't aware this would automatically renewed at the store I purchased the card.

How would I go about cancelling this new year; I wasn't going to renew so now I feel stuck! (I couldn't find previous posts through the Search option).

Can someone help me?? TIA katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post subject: Re: Office 365 renewal
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Log in at account.microsoft.com with the account Office365 is registered to. At the top of the page, go to subscriptions and services. Under Office365, click on manage. Then either select cancel or on the next line, where it tells you it is a 12 month recurring charge, click change to not let it bill you next year.
Note that if you cancel Office365 it will no longer work on your PC other than to view files and some other minor tasks. You would need to replace it with another product to handle the office files or a stand-alone license version of Office.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Libre Office is the best MS Office alternative of which I'm aware and is free.

MS Office On-line is also free.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/free-office-online-for-the-web

Steve, I really don't know; can you get a refund on the unused portion of a subscription if you cancel?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:11 pm 

jaylach wrote:
Steve, I really don't know; can you get a refund on the unused portion of a subscription if you cancel?

Decided to search and answer my own question. The simple answer is yes, you can get a refund but there are a couple of conditions. As to the yearly subscription you must cancel and request a refund within thirty days of the subscription payment date.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cancel-office-365-refund/

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for researching the refund bit, Jay. I thought that a refund would be possible, but I didn't check this morning.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:41 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks SB & Jay!!

I didn't even know there was this menu on this account.microsoft.com site. I will check this out. I have had a little time to think about this since I got the notice from BBuy telling me I was being charged on the credit card I used to buy the subscription. I thought I'd get a notice of renewal; but I can see why auto renewal with this program makes more sense because of how important the info is to the user.

So far, if I can get Excel 365 to work the way 2007 did and the cloud saving issue, it'll be worth staying with this 2021 renewal. But I 'will' make those adjustments in the menu first so it'll be 'my' job to do the renewal next time.

I will be back to Computer Haven to work on issues with Office 365. And also, its good to know a partial refund IS possible if someone wants to cancel midyear.

Have a great week and thank you all for being here!!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:01 pm 

I'd be interested to hear of your Excel problem in another thread.

Keep in mind that what I found on the refund says that the request must be within 30 days of purchase. It didn't read as though midyear would work.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Absolutely I'd start a new thread not about the renewal but the issue with Office 365 that I'd like to fix. It could very well be that I'm not using the right formula when setting up 'number' to achieve what I want. I am hoping by running this by you all I might be able to fix what I could not fix last yr. I would just keep the 2021 renewal of Office 365 as of today. I'd rather make this work than anything else but either way, I wouldn't need a refund for this 2021 year.

Thanks for hanging in there!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 pm 

katy98 wrote:
Absolutely I'd start a new thread not about the renewal but the issue with Office 365 that I'd like to fix. It could very well be that I'm not using the right formula when setting up 'number' to achieve what I want. I am hoping by running this by you all I might be able to fix what I could not fix last yr. I would just keep the 2021 renewal of Office 365 as of today. I'd rather make this work than anything else but either way, I wouldn't need a refund for this 2021 year.

Thanks for hanging in there!!

I won't be so forward as to say that I can solve your Excel issue but look forward to seeing. I do OK with Excel including such as a media menu and payroll, including a tier based commission, sheets. When you start the thread on this please include the details of your issue and also an attachment of your current sheet in .zip format if not private stuff. It just makes things a lot easier if we can see the actual sheet instead of just guessing. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:29 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Libre Office is the best MS Office alternative of which I'm aware and is free.

MS Office On-line is also free.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/free-office-online-for-the-web

Just a quick question, does the online MS Office 'need' to be saved on the 'Cloud' as well? Is it part of the free version that it MUST be saved to the Cloud?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:36 pm 

I'm not totally positive but I do believe that you can save files to your local computer when using the on-line Office. What I was able to see on a quick search seems to indicate that this is the case.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, thanks Jay. I'll sorta pass on the online then, just don't want to risk info that is personal/financial. When I first used 365 I wasn't paying enough attention when I began using it but they don't ask where we want to SaveAs; my mistake not looking.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:47 pm 

Sorry that I couldn't give a definitive answer but mayhaps Steve or someone else knows for sure.

Actually I just opened Office on-line and don't see an option to save locally, just the option to download locally. This would seem to indicate that it is going to want to save to your OneDrive. I suppose that one could download and then delete from OneDrive but that would be rather cumbersome.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Office on-line does use OneDrive for file saves.
Office 365 will save to wherever you specify.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks SB! Where I noticed this was when I installed 365 onto my PC but I failed to look at the path to see whether the save was taking place. Before this I'd not heard about The Cloud so didn't think to watch (also I tend to only read instructions when something goes wrong). Is there a way to delete an upload of an accidentally uploaded file? Without a copy of it being kept on the Cloud? Just for future reference of course.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sorry that I couldn't give a definitive answer but mayhaps Steve or someone else knows for sure.

Actually I just opened Office on-line and don't see an option to save locally, just the option to download locally. This would seem to indicate that it is going to want to save to your OneDrive. I suppose that one could download and then delete from OneDrive but that would be rather cumbersome.

Is OK Jay! Especially with new things, its through mistakes that I learn what changed and then know what to watch for next time. Being able to come here to Computer Haven that I learn SO much and couldn't live without you guys!!! katy ;)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:40 pm 

You can go to your OneDrive account and delete anything that you want. If you have OneDrive installed on your local system you would also have to go to the local OneDrive folder and delete or it would just come back on-line when OneDrive syncs.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Jay provided the answer, but I'll add that you can open OneDrive on your PC and select what folders to sync with OneDrive online (the cloud). If you turn off all synchronization of folders on your PC to OneDrive online, you can then delete everything from OneDrive online and nothing will disappear from your computer.
I'll add that OneDrive security is actually very good. I suggest leaving sync enabled and simply move files you are especially concerned about due to personal information to another folder that is not configured to be synchronized by OneDrive.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:09 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Log in at account.microsoft.com with the account Office365 is registered to. At the top of the page, go to subscriptions and services. Under Office365, click on manage. Then either select cancel or on the next line, where it tells you it is a 12 month recurring charge, click change to not let it bill you next year.
Note that if you cancel Office365 it will no longer work on your PC other than to view files and some other minor tasks. You would need to replace it with another product to handle the office files or a stand-alone license version of Office.

Hi Stephen, I logged in as you directed and under Office365 you mentioned to click on Manage but mine doesn't have a 'manage' option. The page that had come up had the Best Buy logo and BB is where I purchased this plan. I also read somewhere that the option to change renewal is not possible with these directions because it is a 3rd party.

Is there another way to change the Renewal from automatic to non-auto so I can renew myself? Or do you know how I can change the option at Best Buy or do I need to try to find someone at BB that can do this for me?

I hope you can help again! My only other option is to cancel the card I used and order a new card/number but again I'm not sure if my Card provider would do that for this reason.

Thanks for any help!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Ps: I did finally find the Manage on that page and got to where I could do couple things regarding my subscription and got to this Microsoft statement:
Manage your Microsoft 365 subscription purchased through a third party
Microsoft account Microsoft Store
If you purchased a Microsoft 365 subscription from a third-party retailer instead of the Microsoft Store, contact the third-party retailer directly to manage your subscription and billing.

Microsoft has limited access and visibility over subscriptions purchased through a third-party retailer.

Microsoft cannot cancel or help turn on or off recurring billing for subscriptions purchased through a third-party retailer.

All refund requests must go to the third-party retailer from whom you purchased the subscription because Microsoft did not receive that payment. (This also applies to Office Home and Business licenses.)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Katy.

I have no experience with Office 365 via Best Buy. Based on what you found and quoted in your last reply, you will likely need to contact Best Buy regarding your subscription. If it is auto-renew through Best Buy, they would be able to cancel that and then decide if you want to purchase from Microsoft for you next and subsequent cycles.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm 

sboots wrote:
Hi, Katy.

I have no experience with Office 365 via Best Buy. Based on what you found and quoted in your last reply, you will likely need to contact Best Buy regarding your subscription. If it is auto-renew through Best Buy, they would be able to cancel that and then decide if you want to purchase from Microsoft for you next and subsequent cycles.

I agree with Steve. Even if you want to keep Office I would suggest losing Best Buy and doing Office straight through Microsoft.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am 
welcoming committee

I would agree with you both then to lose Best Buy any way I can. After I contact Best Buy and they tell me they did in fact remove the auto renew, is there a place on this page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/billing
where this statement 'has recurring billing' change to something else? Recurring billing to me refers to billing me, not recurring auto renewal. Could someone tell me what this statement would be changed to once the recurring billing has been lifted?
Thanks again for all your help!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am 
Site Admin

The default is to have recurring billing, which is auto-renew with charges to your credit card on file. If recurring billing is off, it should tell you when your subscription is set to expire and provide a link to either renew or turn on recurring billing. I can't speak for the view you may have of your subscription since it is through Best Buy. I have recurring billing enabled and under payment settings for the subscription it shows "Has recurring billing $99.99 every year" with a link to the right that says "change." I can turn off recurring billing or change my plan under that link. My payment method is listed on the next line with the option to change it. Below that is a place to redeem a prepaid card or code -- you can buy a subscription card with a code and enter it here to extend your subscription -- if recurring billing is enabled, it won't bill until the subscription is set to expire with the additional period added. I did this some time back, adding 12 months via a code and it didn't bill me that year. Finally, below these line items is a listing of my Billing history for the subscription, showing the dates and methods of renewal.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Stephen! A lot to digest but great info. Just one more question, is there a place where I can request a reminder that in 2 wks for instance my CC will be charged for a renewal of Office 365 or would that be something only Best Buy can do on their end?

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)