Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 am 
welcoming committee

I have a question about what is the best solution to unplug the drive cables or use Task Manager on the bottom of the screen to disable the drive connection. I was not sure which is better to unplug or disable each drive on Task Manager. Someone told me that it would be better off to disable each drive on Task Manager then shut down the desktop. What I did with this in the past is first to shut down the desktop then unplug the drive cables then cleaning off the dust inside the case.

Let me know about this.

John

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm not sure that I understand the question...

If, by cleaning, you mean dust removal from inside the case there is no need to do anything with the drive cables.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:12 pm 
welcoming committee

You are correct but what I have my computer desk is small space on the right is for desktop and on the left is wide slide shelf for anything I have to put like the tupperware boxes with DVD disk and USB flash drives also paper stuff too. So I have to take out my desktop out of that small space so all the cables behind the desktop have to disconnect. That is why I want to know which way is better for me to disconnect the cables at the back of my desktop or disable the drives on Task Manager then disconnect the cables before cleaning inside my desktop.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

If you are turning off the computer, then there is no need to disable anything within Windows before disconnecting external cabling before cleaning.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
If you are turning off the computer, then there is no need to disable anything within Windows before disconnecting external cabling before cleaning.

I totally agree.

Still I have a question. You speak of stuff on the other side of the desk. This makes me wonder if you are talking about cleaning out the inside of the computer or moving the system to be able to clean the desk. I figure that you are talking about cleaning out the inside of the system but, if you are actually talking about cleaning the desk itself, go to a hardware store and get spacers, blocks of wood or whatever, and paint to match the desk. Place one under each corner of the system and you can then just slide a cloth under to clean that part of the desk. You would no longer need to move the system to clean the desk... Just a thought...

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:51 am 
welcoming committee

Here is my photo so you will be able to see how do I clean the desktop without disable or unplug the cables. There is now way for me to leave the cables on the desktop and clean the desktop on one side where the door open or slide out, Look at my image so you have a better idea to see what I am talking about. And let me know if I have to disable or unplug the cables before pull out my desktop to be clean.

Have a good long weekend (Memorial Day!)

Take care,

John

Attachments:
My desktop.jpg
My desktop.jpg [ 58.16 KiB | Viewed 2252 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Unplugging everything before cleaning is really up to you. If there's room to clean by moving the tower case a little without unplugging, you can leave everything plugged in, but unplugging would certainly make things easier. If you decide to unplug, simply power off the computer and then unplug, clean, plug back in and power back up. No need to disable devices within Windows as long as the computer is turned off.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing