Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Scan Usb Drives
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit Operating System. For reasons unknown, my computer now wants to run a scan whenever I plug in a USB Drive. I tried doing the scan of the USB drive one time and it ran for quite a while and then just quit.; There is an option of course to skip the scan but I would like to skip the request to do the scan. The external USB Drive is 2TB with 460 GB used and only has files that I put there so I would like to know if there is a way to make the scan request go away.

Post subject: Re: Scan Usb Drives
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Was the USB drive used on a Windows 10 system? The only time I've seen what you describe is when I've gone back and forth between Windows 7 and 10 with an external.

The only real cure that I've found is to format the drive but there may be others such as running a check for system errors on the drive. To do this right click on the drive after you have seen the alert and select the 'Tools' tab. Select to check for errors. The problem with just formatting the drive is that you have to first copy everything to another drive before the format and then copy back after the format. With the amount of data you state this would take quite a while.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Was the USB drive used on a Windows 10 system? The only time I've seen what you describe is when I've gone back and forth between Windows 7 and 10 with an external.

The only real cure that I've found is to format the drive but there may be others such as running a check for system errors on the drive. To do this right click on the drive after you have seen the alert and select the 'Tools' tab. Select to check for errors. The problem with just formatting the drive is that you have to first copy everything to another drive before the format and then copy back after the format. With the amount of data you state this would take quite a while.

Yes, it has been used on both systems. I will give that "check for errors thing" a try the next time I get the alert....thanks Jay

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Fwiw, what is wanting to run a scan on your USB device in Windows 7?

Is it Microsoft Security Essentials?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm 

Doddie wrote:
Fwiw, what is wanting to run a scan on your USB device in Windows 7?

From what I've seen on this happening it is actually Windows detecting a difference between drive structures between Windows 7 and 10. They are both normally use NTFS as to the file structure but they set up a drive differently.

Easy to blame Microsoft for the issue but that is not valid. Windows 7 is obsolete and no longer supported. Today's Windows is much different and 'sees' drives in a different way.

Bottom line is that anyone that insists on still running Windows 7 has to accept the problems that arise when a drive is common between Windows 7 and 10. Some issues in such a case can be circumvented but some cannot.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
They are both normally use NTFS as to the file structure but they set up a drive differently.

Easy to blame Microsoft for the issue but that is not valid. Windows 7 is obsolete and no longer supported. Today's Windows is much different and 'sees' drives in a different way.

Bottom line is that anyone that insists on still running Windows 7 has to accept the problems that arise when a drive is common between Windows 7 and 10. Some issues in such a case can be circumvented but some cannot.

I am likely opening up a can of worms for myself here, but no matter the Windows Operating System surely if a drive is formatted in NTFS then that drive should be capable of being read by all Windows Operating Systems that support NTFS.

E.g. I can sort of understand that during a Windows 10 install the Operating System might not read older versions of a Windows installation (i.e. the C:\Windows folder) but i fail to understand how any Windows OS should not read USB devices, or drives, that were formatted with the NTFS file structure, no matter the build of Windows.

Either Windows 10 writes to drives using NTFS or it doesn't, if Windows 10 uses some new form of NTFS then should not Microsoft say so? e.g NTFS.2

I guess i must be missing something obvious because i don't understand how NTFS can suddenly differ for USB devices or HDD's based purely on the OS when both Windows 10 & 7 claim to support the same file structure.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:15 pm 

Doddie wrote:
I guess i must be missing something obvious because i don't understand how NTFS can suddenly differ for USB devices or HDD's based purely on the OS when both Windows 10 & 7 claim to support the same file structure.

NTFS is NTFS on both systems but Windows 7 and 10 set up the drive differently.

For instance Windows 10 sets up three partitions during install. Windows 7 does not. When I have seen this issue it has always, to the best of my recollection, been Windows 7 to throw the gripe. I think that Windows 7 fails to understand the partition arrangement.

This alert is not critical and can actually be ignored as the drive will still function properly in either OS. I see it frequently when porting with a flash drive.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Leaving aside how Windows 10 (or 7) sets up anything for the moment.

Allyson was asking about the scanning of a USB device that had been previously connected to (presumably formatted with Win7 and later connected to Win10?) and how to disable the scanning within Win7 or 10, at this point it is impossible to know how to turn off the scanning without knowing what is trying to do the scanning.

Quote:
I tried doing the scan of the USB drive one time and it ran for quite a while and then just quit.; There is an option of course to skip the scan but I would like to skip the request to do the scan.

It could be MSE, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, other anti-virus software, the list is endless and until Allyson replies we will never know.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:49 pm 

Doddie wrote:
It could be MSE, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, other anti-virus software, the list is endless and until Allyson replies we will never know.

Very true but it "feels" like it is a partition recognition to me. Of course I have no proof of this but it is how it seems. You know me; I often go on hunches. ;) Personally I ignore this pest. One of my external drives for doing images does this... Or did. I think I may have formatted to resolve the last time I did a full set of images but can't remember for sure.

The drive diagnostics I suggested is the old CHKDSK, well, not old as it is still around. I would not be surprised if it fails as I don't think this is an actual drive issue. Fails is probably the wrong word as it may be that it just finds no errors. Personally, if I see this, I usually just ignore.

I never really considered this enough of an issue to really research but it would seem that formatting the drive on the Windows 7 system solves the problem but I can't say that I've 'played' enough to state that as solid fact. The issue with just recommending this is that there is 460 GB of data involved which, on an external, is going to take quite a while to copy and then copy back.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm 
welcoming committee

NTFS in Windows 7 and 10 use a different logfile format and one may see the other as being "dirty" or not shut down properly and this may be why it wants to scan the drive.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 pm 

dvair wrote:
NTFS in Windows 7 and 10 use a different logfile format and one may see the other as being "dirty" or not shut down properly and this may be why it wants to scan the drive.

Different situation but reminds me of something. Way back when people were running Vista ad XP as a dual boot Windows Vista would destroy XP's restore points. Simple solution was to remove the drive letter for the XP install within Vista. This made Vista not see the XP install protecting the XP restore points.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:45 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

That is an intersting observation and one that begs the question, why would Microsoft allow that to happen during a transition period from one OS to another?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
dvair wrote:

Different situation but reminds me of something. Way back when people were running Vista ad XP as a dual boot Windows Vista would destroy XP's restore points. Simple solution was to remove the drive letter for the XP install within Vista. This made Vista not see the XP install protecting the XP restore points.

Restore points in XP i could and did accept as a bug, but to flag issues with a drive (USB or otherwise) from Win7 to Win10 i am stuggling to understand how that is still possible... either Microsoft have done this on purpose or it is negligence.

In any case, we won't know what Allyson's issue really is until she replies to this thread.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:11 pm 

Doddie wrote:
dvair wrote:

That is an intersting observation and one that begs the question, why would Microsoft allow that to happen during a transition period from one OS to another?

Simple answer is that Windows 7 is obsolete and no longer supported. You just can't expect Microsoft to maintain total compatibility with an OS that is three generations old as is Windows 7. Think about it rationally. Would you expect Windows 98 to be able to handle a setup made with Windows XP? Windows 98 could not even read NTFS without third party add-ons.

To go with total compatibility we would have to go back to DOS; no advances in operating systems. While I could actually function in a DOS environment I surely do not want to do so. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Simple answer is that Windows 7 is obsolete and no longer supported. You just can't expect Microsoft to maintain total compatibility with an OS that is three generations old as is Windows 7. Think about it rationally. Would you expect Windows 98 to be able to handle a setup made with Windows XP? Windows 98 could not even read NTFS without third party add-ons.

I understand your logic about Win98 (did it ever support NTFS?), but the fact is Win10 supports NTFS as does Win7, NTFS is a recognised File Structure dating back to Windows NT... the name NTFS is something of a clue there ;)

Either Windows 10 supports NTFS or it does not, everything from Microsoft appears to say it should but from what you say this might not be the case.

Whether Windows 7 is obsolete or no longer supported is mute and meaningless because the data on any Win7 drive ought to formatted in a readable manner.

The fact is, anything that was written to disk using the NTFS file structure ought to be readable under Win10 regardless of where it was written, e.g. HDD or USB etc. no matter which OS wrote it.

I must be missing something glaringly obvious because none of this is making any sense to me.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:54 pm 

Yes, once again NTFS is NTFS but how the drive is setup under NTFS is different. I would be really surprised if Allyson could not read/load files associated with the drive whether in Windows 7 or 10. This isn't a matter of not being able to read but, rather, one OS not recognizing the setup of another. Unless I'm misunderstanding everything on the drive can be accessed by either OS.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This isn't a matter of not being able to read but, rather, one OS not recognizing the setup of another. Unless I'm misunderstanding everything on the drive can be accessed by either OS.

I suspect this takes us back to dvair's post above:
Quote:

I am really struggling to understand what that means... either Win10 changed something so that NTFS is not what it used to be??

How can a logfile be seen as dirty for a recognised file structure unless Microsoft changed something along the way?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 pm 
welcoming committee

To be clear, we are not talking about booting from a drive, this is simply about accessing data on an any NTFS formatted device.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm 

Of course Microsoft changed things. Without change there would be no advancement. And, YES, I would assume that data on the drive is readable by either OS. This actually has nothing to do with NTFS. It deals with the relationship as to how an obsolete OS will react to a drive setup by a current OS.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 pm 
welcoming committee

I get that but the OP appeared to reference the OS ability to read a USB drive across two Operating Systems, i.e. Win7 & Win10.

Whether Win10 or Win7 are bootable both should be able to read any USB device.

If Win10 is not able to read a Win7 USB devices then Win10 clearly has an issue given it is the "NEW" operating system.

If Win10 is unable to read devices formatted under Win7 then Microsoft should have published that fact, as far as i know Microsoft have never done that.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

In my experience, the situation is that Windows 10 throws a warning and wants to scan the drive for errors, but if you choose to ignore the warning you can still access the drive to read and write data. I assume that's what Allyson is encountering. If the flash drive is throwing the warning every time it is inserted, even after it has been scanned previously, then I would be concerned that the drive is potentially facing a looming failure.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:38 pm 

sboots wrote:
In my experience, the situation is that Windows 10 throws a warning and wants to scan the drive for errors, but if you choose to ignore the warning you can still access the drive to read and write data. I assume that's what Allyson is encountering. If the flash drive is throwing the warning every time it is inserted, even after it has been scanned previously, then I would be concerned that the drive is potentially facing a looming failure.

Exactly. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing