Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I kind of inherited this thing by choice. Someone moved out of my apartments and left this oddball. It appears to be a leafy cactus as the thing is very stiff as to structure and just very slightly prickly. Plus the note says it is a cactus. ;)

I would really like to keep it in my bird cage which is plenty large enough. Give the bird from Hades something green and the cage has a full spectrum light which would probably be good for the plant. Pot and plant together are ~21 inches tall and the cage is 48 inches tall so fit is not an issue. In fact the plant's top would still be lower in the cage than the perches the bird mostly uses.

My problem is that I can't put it in the cage unless I know what it is so I can make sure it is in no way toxic to a cockatiel.

Anyone have a clue as to what this thing is??? All I know is that I think it rather cool. ;)

Attachment:
cactus.jpg
cactus.jpg [ 155.06 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I can't help with identification...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 am 

I can't shed any light on it at present, my first thought was that it is some kind of succulent and at the moment I'm not sure where my book of them is. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:06 pm 

I did a search for succulent cactus and didn't come up with anything that looked the same.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:26 pm 
welcoming committee

A wild guess but could it be some form of Coral Cactus?

The following page has a picture near the bottom of the page that is somewhat similar to yours...

Quote:
If Frankenstein’s monster were to take up gardening, he might find coral cactus to be his favorite plant.

This melding of two succulent varieties into one unusual cactus-like plant is striking to see. Depending on the top crest, it may have a fan of white, red, green, yellow, or purple ruffled succulent growth on top of what looks like a medium-green “stem”.

But this cactus isn’t actually a cactus at all, and if treated like one it can develop problems. Let’s figure out what this unusual Frankenstein’s Cactus-That-Isn’t-Really-A-Cactus needs to survive and thrive!
Source & more: https://www.epicgardening.com/coral-cactus/

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:45 pm 

Of course it does not look exactly like the pictures I found under Coral cactus but what plant does in most cases?

It looks to me that you got it Doddie, thanks. How the heck did you find the thing? Mayhaps my problem was thinking it was a cactus and searching accordingly.

At first I thought that the white base might be the mentioned 'powdery mildew' but the feel of the white and green are the same.

Apparently, from what I found the Coral cactus is not toxic to cockatiels. Got a bit worried when a "coral plant" was listed but they are not the same at all.

I finally figured out the white base. This plant is a grafted hybrid; Euphorbia neriifolia base with grafted Euphorbia lactea crest.

Thanks again. :)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
...How the heck did you find the thing?...

If, and i must stress the IF,.. if i am right then i got lucky... i looked at the colours of yours and simply Googled "green and white cactus", clicked on images, one of the first looked something like yours but upside down (i.e. white on top and green at the bottom as opposed to your green on top and white at the bottom).

After reading the page associated with the picture i simply guessed that yours must have been grafted the other way around and shared it with you :rofl2:

To be sure, if you have access to a garden centre (or something similar) in your neck of the woods take it to them and ask for their opinion... under the guise that you don't know how to feed it of course ;)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:31 pm 

Her are the two plants that apparently make the hybrid. The third image is the thing in the cage; it seems to me to fit pretty well. :) It seems that this plant is a baby and they can get pretty large. If I can keep from killing it I'll probably have to trim it now and then. I will also probably re-pot.
Attachment:
plant 1.jpg
plant 1.jpg [ 123.72 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]

Attachment:
plant 2.jpg
plant 2.jpg [ 159.12 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]

Attachment:
cactus-cage.JPG
cactus-cage.JPG [ 307.26 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Two things jump out at me:

i. You are on your own when it comes to sourcing a bigger bird cage.

ii. Only an ex-Marine would think to put a hammock in a bird cage for a cockatiel.

:rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 pm 

Doddie wrote:
Two things jump out at me:

i. You are on your own when it comes to sourcing a bigger bird cage.

ii. Only an ex-Marine would think to put a hammock in a bird cage for a cockatiel.

:rofl2:

ex-Marine??? How darest thou???? I'm ex NAVY!!! :mrgreen: :rofl2:

To be honest my bird very seldom sits in the 'hammock' but he does chew on the sides... It is made of sea grass and is actually pretty good for him to chew on.

And, since the cage sits between the end of my couch and chest freezer, there isn't much room for a larger cage unless I built it myself which isn't likely to happen. The cage is really quite large anyway. Not counting the top area or base the actual cage is 3 feet in width and depth and 4 feet in height. I call it his penthouse. :mrgreen: You can get an idea as to the cage size when you consider the plant, including the pot, is ~21 inches tall.

I really should re-pot the plant as it appears that the dirt is straight potting soil. These plants prefer a cactus blend with more drainage. Also, while the current pot isn't horrible, I'd rather one that blended with the rest of the cage better. Might even consider getting some jute and doing a bit of macrame around a new pot. If I can macrame a hanging end table I think it probable that I can dress up a pot a bit. :ugeek:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:38 am 

That was a good find Doddie, I'd put Succulent into the search but didn't have time to spend any time really delving into it.

It is a very unusual looking plant and I'd say it would be a great talking point.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
To be honest my bird very seldom sits in the 'hammock' but he does chew on the sides...

Yes, the US Air Force can be a bit like that at times ;) :rofl2:

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion