Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surface 3 2-in-1
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I've always been able to use my Walmart gift cards online. So send them to me if you can't, lol.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
I've always been able to use my Walmart gift cards online. So send them to me if you can't, lol.

Good to hear that you can use gift cards on-line. Just jumped my Walmart gift cards up to $130.00. Actually the cards are free. My apartments have a rewards program that gives points that you can redeem for merchandise and/or store cards. On average it gets me ~$200.00 per year. Not a huge amount but it's free. :mrgreen:

This actually works out better as I'll have more than enough in cards to completely cover the ink and game pad. With what I previously had I would have had to pay for most of the game pad. It will take a week or two for me to get the added cards. Mayhaps the stuff will be back in stock. If not I'll look on-line and have it shipped. If shipping to my apartment isn't free I'll just have it shipped to the local store which is like 3 minutes away.

<edit>
I went ahead and ordered the game pad on-line using a gift card with no issue. Free shipping is going to be SLOW as it states delivery by 4/6/2021. There was no option to pickup at the store on this item. I actually have plenty of ink for now so will wait on that until the new gift cards arrive. All of my 6 cartridges are still well over half full except for one black that I already have a replacement from the last time I used gift cards to buy. This will be the second time I've bought a full load of ink with cards. Looks like my ink and some other stuff will be free as long as I'm in my apartment.

This thing better work with Bluetooth in Windows! I searched and it is stated that it is good for Windows 7, 8 and 10. I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but, with the gift card, it is really free so who cares? :mrgreen: If I shopped at Walmart often I may have gone with actually paying elsewhere at a lower cost but I almost never shop at Walmart. I get the Walmart gift cards mainly for ink and a shirt or something now and then. LOL! Actually I'm considering a fondue setup sometime. When the new cards arrive I could do ink and fondue for only about $20.00 out of pocket.

Sigh, I LOVE doing fondue but haven't had the right stuff for well over 10 years. Talk about some good munchies while watching a ball game or movie... Also, since you are really cooking a few bites at a time, you tend to eat less yet still end up feeling full.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:56 pm 

Next stage done. :) My 10 foot USB extension cable arrived today and my second (bedroom) system now has its own game pad using the one that is Bluetooth but not for Windows. All worked out fine and without issue. :)

I DO have to go through a bunch of OLD install CDs to find my Nintendo 64 emulator. Never really noticed but I don't have it installed on any of my systems... well mayhaps my laptop but haven't looked. I have a fair amount of stuff for my SNES and PS1 emulators but only care about Zelda and Starfox on the N64 emulator... Oh, and Mario64. I will also want to include the N64 emulator on my Surface. If I'm right that the N64 emulator is on my laptop I don't even need the install CD as I can just copy the install folder to another system and it is fine.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm 

Game pad showed up today! :) At first I thought it was messed up as I could pair with the Surface but I couldn't assign any buttons. Then I noticed that the joysticks moved the mouse. The thing has a section switch on the side for game pad or mouse control. Made sure it was on game pad and all was fine. :mrgreen:

Personally I think this is pretty cool! :ugeek:

Attachment:
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2139.JPG [ 134.68 KiB | Viewed 4344 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty cool. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 pm 

sboots wrote:
That's pretty cool. ;-)

I think so. :mrgreen:

Of course the SNES emulator shown in the image does not take advantage of the wide screen aspect but when the SNES was around there were no wide screen displays. It's been a while since used but I think my PS1 and N64 emulators do support wide screen but I haven't put the N64 emulator on the Surface yet and I just can't remember from when I tested the PS1 emulator. Actually the SNES emulator having an aspect ratio of 4:3 instead of wide screen bothers me not at all as it is part of the charm and consistent with the original console. :ugeek:

I WILL say that I had a bit of an issue setting up the game pad due to the slide switch on the side for what mode. When I first tried it would not allow me to assign buttons in the SNES emulator but that was just due to being set for the wrong operating mode which I figured out. As is often the case the manual is not all that great.

At first I was a bit peeved as it is stated that the game pad will expand 11 inches yet my Surface would not fit. The Surface is 10.5 inches wide. I switched to the display being portrait instead of landscape and it was usable but the game was small due to the different aspect ratio. Went to remove the tablet and there was a ratchet type click and the game pad opened wider. I got brave and pulled it apart harder and it opened up to where it would hold the Surface in landscape without issue. I just didn't really think at first. This thing is designed to hold devices from a phone to a tablet. The 'spring lock' that actually holds the device in place only has a travel of 1.5 to 2 inches. In hind sight it is obvious that it would need a crude width setting before the spring lock would be able to be of use.

Bottom line is that the thing seems to work exactly as advertised and I'm a happy camper. :ugeek: Considering that it can also control the mouse pointer I am quite happy with the ~$35.00 price tag.

Oh, actual performance... Again I have only tested with my SNES emulator but the controller seems to be quite responsive and quick, without lag. Once I mapped the buttons for the SNES emulator I had no different experience with Yoshi's Island in the SNES emulator compared to the Logitech game pad I have on my main system.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 am 

I can see someone is going to be having so much fun, do you think we'll ever see him again Steve? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 am 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
I can see someone is going to be having so much fun, do you think we'll ever see him again Steve? :rofl2:

LOL! He'll tire of the fun, for sure. :-P

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am 

I'll have you both know that there is NO fun involved in any of this. It is all high level scientific experimentation under a government grant. :dance2: :tup2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Sure..... :-P

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 pm 

sboots wrote:
Sure..... :-P

Hey, my income comes from Social Security and Navy Retired Pay... Therefore I'm paid by the government. Therefore anything I do is under a government grant. :mrgreen: <= It's my lie so I can tell it as I choose! :rofl2:

<edit>
Found my N64 emulator but having problems. First I could not just copy it from my laptop. :oops: Forgot that I did a clean install on my laptop as part of removing a dual boot.

The emulator works but I'm having issues with setting up the controller. In settings it appears to accept all the button mapping but, in game, only half work. I'll either get it going or try another emulator. I may just have to change modes on the controller but had everything put away before that dawned on me. The emulator I have is rated as the best but that does not mean it is the best for all systems. ;) There are 10 others I can try. ;)
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:30 pm 

Finally got back to finishing off the Surface in relation to the game pad and all looks good. There was actually no issue with the game pad other than my forgetting how the controller for the N64 is setup. I downloaded an image of the actual N64 controller and used it as a pattern to set things up. The N64 controller was a bit weird and I could not setup all the buttons to match but have all the buttons working even if out of proper placement.

So all my normal game console emulators are working including Super Nintendo, N64 and Play Station 1. I MAY put M.A.M.E. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) on it but not sure. I think that I installed it but haven't tried things out. It is kind of cool to be able to do arcade games on a PC but never really used it a whole lot. Still it is fun to go back to old arcade games such as Missile Command, Asteroids and such. I was never really good at it but always liked Missile Command. I have done this before and a game pad with a stick does fine with the stick acting like the trackball that was on the actual arcade machine.

-----------------------------------------

So I guess that I may as well give a final opinion of the Surface 3. I like the little beasty. Somehow it just seems stronger than it should. For instance the N64 emulator. It is stated that the emulator that I'm using needs a strong CPU and that most integrated graphics will not perform at all well. If any ever used the N64, and know of the game Star Fox, I played it for about 15 minutes without issue except for a couple of momentary lags that were so short that they didn't interrupt the game play. The Surface 3 uses a 4-core Atom CPU and integrated graphics yet does pretty well.

Video and audio playback is perfect. I have it sharing my media drives and have no issue as to playback whether the source is a simple media file such as MKV, DVD format or an audio file; they all work fine. Office 365 runs like a charm as does the other few things that I've installed such as my web site authoring software.

Bottom line is that I could find no real reason to say not to buy if one were interested in such a system. Don't expect to play high level games or for it to do well with video editing or encoding but, if you are looking for a second system that does not need awesome power, it is worth a look.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to read that you're enjoying your Surface 3. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:22 pm 

sboots wrote:
Glad to read that you're enjoying your Surface 3. :-)

Especially considering the Atom CPU I am VERY happy with the thing. It performs better than I had hoped.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm 

Glad to hear you're happy Jay, may you have many years of fun. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:45 pm 

What's sort of funny is that I'll seldom use the game emulators on the Surface as I have them on my main system. The only time they will be used is if I'm sitting outside or something. I did this just because I wanted to do so. Since the added cost was minimal, why not? :mrgreen: Of course there also was the simple fact that this game pad intrigued me. I happen to like hardware and there is little that is really new. Sure, components are bigger and faster but they are mostly still the same as they were 20 years ago. This was something that was actually new to me. LOL! Don't know if that makes a lot of sense or not but it does to me and that is all that matters. ;)

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:35 am 

Another piece of hardware that I got with the Surface 3 that is, more and more, intriguing me is the mouse. This thing is really pretty cool. As a refresher it is designed to be used on multiple systems by connecting via both Bluetooth and wireless USB. It comes as close to doing dual monitors, although it is actually dual systems, as anyone could possibly expect. Hmmm, haven't tried but seriously doubt that you could open an app on one system and drag the window to the other system but that could actually be possible depending if the involved software attaches to the video card...

Here is what I DO know it will do as of now.
  1. There is a button behind the scroll wheel to select which system the mouse is focused manually.
  2. The thing also automatically switches which system has control just by moving the mouse off of one screen to another. It works just like moving the mouse from one display to another on a dual monitor system.
  3. If only one system is powered the mouse will automatically attach to that system.
  4. Matched side buttons that can be set to just about anything but I use for volume control.
  5. Allows file transfers between the systems by a simple drag and drop in either direction.
  6. Using the software that allows this is totally simple to set up. The software is called Flow and is put out by Logitech as is the mouse.

Here is the mouse I got.
https://www.newegg.com/logitech-910-005012/p/N82E16826197268

Here is a bit about FLOW.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options/page/flow-multi-device-control

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:01 am 
Site Admin

That's pretty cool. I no longer have multiple systems side by side, but that feature would have been pretty useful when I did to save a little desk space. These days I only have one PC on my desk and a laptop on a smaller laptop table in the same room. My test computers are on the same table, but I don't use a mouse with the Samsung tablet in that pair.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:33 pm 

Just adding this for info.

As I said early on there is an issue with the Surface 3 charger. The actual wall outlet part of the charger is fine as is the micro SD port on the actual Surface. The problem is the full sized USB to micro USB cable that connects the wall part to the Surface 3. It DOES work but the micro connection just isn't quite right for some reason. It is like it is sloppy. While it DOES work you have to be careful when using the charger and the Surface 3 at the same time or it will lose connection. I solved this by building a USB cable. Well didn't actually build the cable, just plugged in the proper connection plugs. Years ago I bought a little cable kit that is pretty cool. It is a heavy and shielded USB cable that has several connectors that can be used. Using this cable with a full sized USB male plug on each end and everything is fine. The problem is that I don't want to dedicate this multi-use cable for just the Surface 3.

I yesterday spent ~$7.00 to order a six foot male to male USB3 cable. I won't receive the new cable for a few days but have already proven the viability with the multi-use cable.

Bottom line is that I can charge in a three different ways without worrying about losing the micro USB connection as I will be using the full sized USB port on the Surface 3 instead of the micro. I will still be able to use the included wall unit and can also use through a full sized port on my docking station. Of course the docking station itself is the third method. This actually makes some sense as a micro USB connection has much less contact area to keep it secure. If just charging when the Surface 3 is not in use the included cable works fine. The thing is that I, sometimes, use the thing for reading for much longer than the battery can handle. For instance just last night I laid down around 9:00 PM to read. I got involved with a new book and finished the whole thing including some chapters in the next book of the series. Quit reading around 7-8:00 this morning. When I'm laying down reading I tend to move around a bit. Going with using a full sized USB cable my moving around is no longer an issue.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting that the device can charge using the full size USB-A port. I never liked the micro-USB ports -- the USB-C port/plug is so much better.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:07 pm 

sboots wrote:
Interesting that the device can charge using the full size USB-A port. I never liked the micro-USB ports -- the USB-C port/plug is so much better.

Shoot, while my docking station has a full sized USB connection for charging it does not even have a micro connection for anything. It DOES have a display port and audio port but these are also done through the full sized USB port.

I just don't like running the Surface 3 while in the docking station for long periods such as my reading marathons. The problem with that is that the Surface 3's cooling is mostly passive through the back of the system. If the Surface 3 is in the dock, or case, this passive cooling is dramatically reduced as the back of the system becomes enclosed. So how does what I'm doing work? The docking station (45 watt) sits on the night stand next to my bed. The docking station has 2 each USB 2 & 3 along with Ethernet and a 1/8 inch audio plug. I plug in the 6 foot USB full sized male to male cable between the dock and Surface 3 and it no longer has the problem associated with a micro connection as a full sized USB port has to be between 6 & 8 times the surface area to keep the connection viable.

Just as a side note one may wonder how the dock can have a display port Ethernet and audio. As to the display port the Surface 3 has one and so does the dock. When the dock is 'closed' the display ports line up and connect. As to Ethernet and audio I figure that it has to be going through USB. This possibility may seem unlikely except that the dock is also Microsoft and built strictly for the Surface 3.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, I get it now! You're connecting between the Surface 3 and the dock using the USB-A male/male cable. Yes, the dock would provide Ethernet, USB, and audio via the USB connection. That's fairly common for docking stations that provide additional ports. Often this also includes display via that same USB connection. The fact that power is also delivered to the Surface 3 to provide a charge is fascinating to me -- is it charging or is it simply providing power enough to slow down or eliminate battery drain?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 pm 

sboots wrote:
The fact that power is also delivered to the Surface 3 to provide a charge is fascinating to me -- is it charging or is it simply providing power enough to slow down or eliminate battery drain?

It charges even if the Surface 3 is in use but the charge is much slower than if the thing is off and just sitting in the dock. Still it DOES charge through a USB cable even when in use. The dock is pretty strong with a 45 watt output. Would it keep up or charge if I were playing games? :dunno: I haven't tried.

Yes, it seems that all of the docks ports are fed through the full sized USB port except for the display port. When closed the dock has a direct connection to the display port on the Surface 3. The way this dock closes is a slide system. Put the Surface 3 in the dock's guides and press in the sides. Doing this automatically connects the full sized USB and display port. Actually I have to say that the design is pretty slick. When you 'close' the dock there is no catching or anything as to the USB and display port connections. It is totally smooth and seamless.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:46 am 

Well dang! The male/male USB cable doesn't work for charging. :( Also tried going directly from the USB on the docking station without success. There is no issue with charging through the Surface's micro USB but I know that is not in use when charging in the dock as the dock doesn't even have a micro USB connection. I guess, when in the dock, it must me charging through the display port. :dunno: :?:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

That is very interesting. It may still be using the USB port, but perhaps via a wire/connection point that is non-standard and not available in a regular cable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware