Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes you can but, assuming the PE disk works, I'd burn a couple of spares or create an ISO image that you can save for later burns before removing Acronis.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:03 pm 
welcoming committee

You trained me well, Jay. I already have two spares.....another DVD and a bootable USB.

Now, when you say create an ISO image, are you talking about a Windows 10 Pro image? Because I already have that also (I used the media creation tool to create a Windows installation DVD, with spare).

So I will use the Acronis PE disk to perform a couple of manual backups.....if successful, I will then remove Acronis as the culprit in my system freezes.

FYI, I still do Macrium backups and I also burn an image using the Win 7 utility in Control Panel. Like I said earlier, I probably do an 'overkill'.

Thanks for your valuable input.......

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:48 pm 

I meant an ISO image of the Acronis boot disk that you could use to burn another bootable copy if ever needed.

Really the only reasons I suggested using the Linux version of the Acronis boot are:
  • I have found that it boots faster than the WinPE version.
  • I don't just image to externals but also an internal clone and image. I like to have both the clone and image destination drives hidden by removing the drive letters in Device Manager. If nothing elso it makes my drive listings less cumbersome. The WinPE boot will not see these "hidden" drives. The Linux version will.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I finally went to Acronis Tools (and other places), and I don't see the ability to create a Linux boot media. Maybe that capability didn't come with ATI 2017. So I will just use my WinPE version.

Thanks for your guidance.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:40 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Well, I finally went to Acronis Tools (and other places), and I don't see the ability to create a Linux boot media. Maybe that capability didn't come with ATI 2017. So I will just use my WinPE version.

Thanks for your guidance.

Is what it is but I'm a bit surprised the option isn't there for a Linux build. The path would be tools/create boot media/advanced. This would only be available through an install of Acronis, not through already created boot media.

Regardless, if WinPE works for your needs, that is all that is necessary. ;) Like I said I like the Linux build mostly due to its 'seeing hidden drives'. Not likely that you are going to do this so it really is not important.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm 
welcoming committee

From Tools, I select Rescue Media Builder, then I have only two choices:
(1) The Easiest Acronis Bootable Media Builder (this may be the Linux version, I don't know; but I just created one)
(2) The Advanced WinPE-based Rescue Media (this is what I did before.....I have two DVD's and one USB)

EDIT: As it turns out, choice (1) is the Linux version that Jay was talking about. I discovered that later in the Acronis documentation.

Last edited by bbarry on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 pm 

bbarry wrote:
From Tools, I select Rescue Media Builder, then I have only two choices:
(1) The Easiest Acronis Bootable Media Builder (this may be the Linux version, I don't know; but I just created one)
(2) The Advanced WinPE-based Rescue Media (this is what I did before.....I have two DVD's and one USB)

Hmmm, I guess 2018 must have been the first to include the Linux build.

As to your options (1) is really only for the specific system on which it is made. It reads all the system info and creates bootable media for that specific system. This is how I did it for my Surface. Of course Acronis has to be installed on the system for this to happen. (2) is not specific and should be used if the boot disk may be used on another system. This is usually fine but, of course, there are exceptions. For instance my Surface did not at all like either the WinPE or Linux boots but is totally happy with the one I made specifically for the Surface with Acronis 2021 installed to build the bootable media to an SD card. BTW, I had a whim and bought Acronis 2021 but ended up still using my 2018 boot disks on everything except my Surface. There are three clone options and I could not get any of them to actually make a bootable clone that would just boot by changing the boot drive. No issue as to this with 2018; make a clone and it is totally bootable.

I'm sure that I probably don't have to say this but just be sure to proof the boot media before removing the Acronis install. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, Jay, I have a problem. I couldn't boot from either Rescue Media, so I went into my BIOS to ensure that my CD/DVD drive was listed first. Here's what I found and I really don't understand much of it.
Boot Option 1: Windows Boot Manager
Boot Option 2: UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
Boot Option 3: SATAG-4: ST2000M001
Boot Option 4: SATAG-3: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
And then there are three more boot options for a total of seven.

What are these four devices? And what should be my boot order to make my CD/DVD drive first? Thanks.....

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 pm 

bbarry wrote:
OK, Jay, I have a problem. I couldn't boot from either Rescue Media, so I went into my BIOS to ensure that my CD/DVD drive was listed first. Here's what I found and I really don't understand much of it.
Boot Option 1: Windows Boot Manager
Boot Option 2: UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
Boot Option 3: SATAG-4: ST2000M001
Boot Option 4: SATAG-3: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
And then there are three more boot options for a total of seven.

What are these four devices? And what should be my boot order to make my CD/DVD drive first? Thanks.....

Option 1 is the boot loader on your system drive. This is your default boot.
Option 2 is PROBABLY your rescue media loading through your UEFI BIOS.
Option 3 I don't know but may list if there was ever an OS installed on the drive or it was otherwise bootable.
Option 4 is basically the same as option 2 except that it does not load through your UEFI. It may or may not generate a menu load failure. If it does just continue through the error.

In any case either option 2 or 4 should come before option 1. Of course I'm just assuming that options 2 & 4 are recovery media. This is not something I normally do. The only drive in the boot order on my main system is the system drive's boot manager. Pretty much all systems have a key sequence to enter the BIOS. Most, if not all, also have a key sequence to bring up a boot menu which will list all bootable devices and, sometimes, even some that are not. On my main system the key for this is F11, F9 is also common. The post screen, when you turn the system on, should list the key if available.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I put Option 2 above Option 1, after which I could successfully boot the Acronis Rescue Media from my CD/DVD drive. I then created an Acronis system image on one of my external drives. So all is well.

As edited above, I was able to create a Linux Rescue build. It just wasn't called that until later in the Acronis documentation. So now I have both the WinPE-based and the Linux version of my Rescue Media.

Thanks for your help......

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:47 pm 

No problem. :) Glad that you got it sorted out.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:01 am 

BTW, I recognized your optical drive due to it's name. When I saw "DVDRAM" I knew it was an optical drive. DVDRW and removable media are also common tips for this although removable media may be more suited to USB devices.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines