Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 pm 
welcoming committee

My ISP recently improved their DSL service. Previously I was getting download speeds of ~5 Mbps (remember I live out in the boonies). Now I get ~25 Mbps on all three of my Win 10 computers, including the one that runs in dual mode with Windows 7.

The problem is with the Windows 7 side of that dual computer. There my speed remains in the 5 Mbps range.....it doesn't show the increased speed than my other computers show.

The network adapter used on this dual mode computer is an AC1200 Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter.

Any reason why the Windows 7 computer is running at lower internet speeds? What should I be looking for to resolve the issue? I'm even wondering if my ISP made DSL changes that are only applicable to the Win 10 OS?

Thanks in advance......

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I suppose it could be a Windows 10 / Windows 7 thing but sort of doubt that.

First step that I'd take would be to go to Device Manager in Windows 7 and remove the network controller and then reboot allowing Windows 7 to reinstall the drivers.

Oh, also reset your router.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Are the other computers also running a wireless connection?
What are you using to measure the network speeds?
In the dual boot system, with W7 running slower, it is certainly possible that the USB drivers and/or the driver for the wireless adapter are not optimal and the W10 version of the driver(s) may have been optimized. Have a look at the driver version and date for the adapter in both W7 and W10. Additionally, have a look at all of the settings for the adapter under both operating systems.
It could also come down to the TCP/IP stack under both operating systems, with improvements made to W10 being seen as the increased speeds.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Good ideas, Jay and Steve......Thanks. I will take a look at all that in the morning.....now is my bedtime.

But to go from 5 Mbps to 25 is like a belated Christmas present.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:01 am 
welcoming committee

For some reason, mine has doubled too. Normally 100 down, have been getting 200 when I checked today. I have Spectrum Cable Internet.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:55 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay - Well, I seem to have made matters worse.....now I can't even connect my Win 7 computer to the internet. Somewhere between resetting the router (which I did) and removing the network adapter and then rebooting my computer (which I did), I lost my Win 7 network capability. Specifically,
-- I can't get my router to recognize Win 7 as a device (it does recognize Win 10 as a device)
-- When I go to Network Sharing in Win 7, I get the following error message: "Settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network". I have no idea what this means and I don't know how to correct. Consequently I don't know what parameters to enter into my router for it to recognize my Win 7 computer.

@Steve - My primary Win 10 computer is hard-wired to my router.....all other computers run a wireless connection. I used a couple of programs to test my speed (test.com; speedtest.net). I don't understand what you mean by TCP/IP stacks being seen as increased speed.

BTW, my network adapter is an AC1200 Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter, and my router is a D-Link DIR-859 Wireless AC1750 model

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:07 pm 

That should not have happened. The removal and reboot should have just caused the drivers to be reinstalled. You say the adapter is an AC1200 Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter but who makes it so we can look for current drivers to install?

What does Device Manager say about the adapter? Is it listed under network adapters or does Device Manager show an unknown device?

You should not need to change any router settings.

BTW, just plugging the adapter into another USB port MAY cause a driver install. Let's see what Steve and/or David says before doing this.

Actually going to Device Manager and the properties for the USB adapter then selecting to roll back the driver MAY, at least, get you back to where you were. Again, wait for other input.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

The hard wired PC should always test faster than any wireless connection, especially a USB wireless adapter, that's why I asked.

For the W7 PC now not able to access the network, right click on the network icon in the system tray to view available wireless networks. I believe you have to option to "forget" a saved network from there. Once you clear the saved connection settings, you should be able to provide your wireless security passkey and connect.

The TCP/IP stack means the code within Windows that handles the details of data moving back and forth from the PC through the network adapter -- it's the part that handles obtaining the IP address and other information (gateway, subnet, etc.) for the PC from the router once the security handshake completes. It also sets other parameters for how the packets of data are sent on their way.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Just got a letter in the mail from Spectrum, they are doubling our Internet speeds for free. That's why I am seeing the 200 now.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Jay - My network adapter is made by TRENTnet. Device Manager shows it as an unknown device in Win 7, and Windows can't find any drivers. On my dual Win 10, it is shown as a network adapter and it works just fine.

@ Steve - When I right click on the network icon, it says network connections are available. Then when I open the Network and Sharing Center and click on Connect to a Network, my network name has a big red X beside it and that's when I get the above error message about settings not matching network requirements. At that point I am dead in the water.

I appreciate you all helping me on this.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm 

Here is what looks like your device. You will need to pick the download you need but one of them should, probably the last before the 'data sheets'.
https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=100_TEW-805UB

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Just throwing this out here...

Assuming Barry's setup is a physical dual boot and not a virtual setup, seems to me a System Restore of Windows 7 might help him get back to where he was, then he could move on?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Here is what looks like your device. You will need to pick the download you need but one of them should, probably the last before the 'data sheets'.
https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=100_TEW-805UB

So download it to a flash drive using my Win 10 computer and then have my Win 7 read the drivers from the flash drive?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
@ Steve - When I right click on the network icon, it says network connections are available. Then when I open the Network and Sharing Center and click on Connect to a Network, my network name has a big red X beside it and that's when I get the above error message about settings not matching network requirements. At that point I am dead in the water.

It seems like an odd message if your wireless network adapter is not recognized. Go ahead and download the driver from Trendnet as Jay recommended. If you are then not able to connect to your wireless network due to a problem with saved settings, follow the steps here to "forget" the existing saved settings. https://www.pcwrt.com/forums/topic/how-to-forget-a-wifi-network-on-windows-7/

I think the error you see is misleading in that the actual problem is that the saved network can't be established due to the "missing" network adapter. Once you get the driver installed, it may work without the above steps.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Doddie wrote:

Assuming Barry's setup is a physical dual boot and not a virtual setup, seems to me a System Restore of Windows 7 might help him get back to where he was, then he could move on?

That is surely an option, too, but reinstalling the network adapter driver may well be the best solution.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:38 pm 

Doddie wrote:

Yes! A system restore could help. Don't know why but I tend to not think of one. Possibly due to my having system images to restore.

Yes, BB, download and put to a flash drive after unzipping if it is a .zip file. Once unzipped there is probably a setup or install file that you would run. Whether asked for by Windows or not I'd suggest a system restart after installing the drivers.

Still, Doddie's idea of a system restore is possibly a good idea if installing the downloaded drivers does not do the trick..

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:43 pm 
welcoming committee

FYI, i'd certainly try reinstalling the the network driver first, just wanted to throw out System Restore so it wasn't overlooked.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:49 pm 

Doddie wrote:
FYI, i'd certainly try reinstalling the the network driver first, just wanted to throw out System Restore so it wasn't overlooked.

Overlooked as I often do... ;)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Overlooked as I often do... ;)

If i had even half of your knowledge i'd be worried about you! :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve said: If you are then not able to connect to your wireless network due to a problem with saved settings, follow the steps here to "forget" the existing saved settings. https://www.pcwrt.com/forums/topic/how-to-forget-a-wifi-network-on-windows-7/

OK, downloading the drivers did not help. So I'm ready to try the 'forgetting steps' above. But once I do that, what do I do next, i.e., how do I start again?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, using Steve's forgetting steps, I'm back online. But it's using another network adapter that I didn't know I had (Realtek 8185 Extensible). My TRENDnet AC1200 adapter is still shown as another device rather than as a network adapter.

So I think tomorrow when I'm fresh I will try the System Restore.

Thanks for everyone's help.....I will keep you posted.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:07 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Well, using Steve's forgetting steps, I'm back online. But it's using another network adapter that I didn't know I had (Realtek 8185 Extensible). My TRENDnet AC1200 adapter is still shown as another device rather than as a network adapter.

I'd wait for Steve or Jay's input before going the Sytem Restore route, don't break what works, it's possible that your TrendNet adapter has a Realtek chip onboard (or it's a motherboard chipset issue?) that you didn't know about?

At the very least now that it works, do a backup of your Win7 install so that you can reinstall back to this point before you do anything else.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:04 am 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:

Very odd. What's your speed test when using this connection?
Is this your Trendnet adapter -- https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=100_TEW-805UB
If you remove it while online with the Realtek adapter, do you say connected?
System Restore may be the solution, but it's curious why the Trendnet isn't being recognized. What happened when you installed the driver?
When you say that the Trendnet AC1200 shows as another device, can you explain? Do you mean that there is an Unknown Device listed?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:05 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, my speed on the Win 7 is a mere 1.0 Mbps (as compared to 16 Mbps on the Win 10 dual, as compared to 23 on my wired Win 10 computer).

Yes, the Trendnet TEW-805UB is my adapter (aka Trendnet AC1200). And in the Win 7 mode, it shows as 'Other Device'.

When I installed the drivers, it said they were successfully installed. But the Trendnet still was not listed as a network adapter so it still wouldn't do the connection.

I will be gone all morning and will resume working on this issue later in the day. I'm going to try using a different USB port, maybe trying an older AC1200 adapter that I have, and anything else I/we can think of. If nothing else works, I will then try the System Restore.

I appreciate your help....

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update. The link I posted above to the adapter includes a driver download -- is that the same one you installed?
I think that trying a different USB port may be a good next step and if that still doesn't resolve it, a system restore.
Fingers crossed.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing