Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Win 10
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Without going into a long dissertation as to why, I am considering going to Win 10 v.2004.

Has Microsoft de-bugged this version for it to be useful? I don't want to be a beta tester but I might have to go to v. 2004 to resolve other issues.

Again, thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Win 10
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
joemonte wrote:
Without going into a long dissertation as to why, I am considering going to Win 10 v.2004.

Has Microsoft de-bugged this version for it to be useful? I don't want to be a beta tester but I might have to go to v. 2004 to resolve other issues.

Again, thanks in advance.

What bugs made it not useful? I've been running version 2004 since it was released without issue.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Its been out since May, been working fine for me. The Fall update should be out with a few weeks.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:19 pm 
welcoming committee

I had heard that one should hold off for a while. If you guys had no problems then I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I've also been running version 2004 for several months with no problems.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 pm 

This link will get you going.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can just do the 'Update now' option but, personally, I prefer to use the media creation tool to create physical install media. Not really needed, just my preference.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

I installed it on 12/12/19, I was in the slow lane of the insider program at the time and I've been happy with it on this HP Envy Laptop.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks guys for your responses. I did install the new build and it seems to work well.

The original issue was a number of BSOD's (or blue screens as they are now called). I have been in contact with Dell tech support for the last month or more trying to resolve the issue. We have tried everything we (or they) could think of. This included a re-install of Win 10 (from scratch), reinstalling numerous drivers, but the situation continues. Now, I'm hoping this new build might resolve the issue. There is still at least one pesky problem driver.

Oh well, onward and upward...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Joe, I forgot to mention that I have had one annoying issue with Win 10.....I was hoping that it would go away with Version 2004, but it didn't.

Often and for some unexplained reason, when I do a Windows update the system will reset certain flags. This causes my system to freeze, where both by keyboard and mouse are dead. The only resolution is to reboot my system and then re-reset these flags..

In my case, the flags that get reset have to do with USB devices. To illustrate, if you go to Device Manager in Control Panel and then go down to the entry Universal Serial Bus controller, there I have several devices listed as USB Mass Storage Devices. If I double-click on any one of these devices, I see 5 tabs. The last tab is entitled Power Management. In this tab is a box you can check entitled "Allow this device to turn the computer off to save power". Since I NEVER want a device to turn of my computer, I have all these boxes unchecked, but a Win 10 update will sometimes cause some boxes to be checked.

And if you investigate other devices in Device Manager, you will find many that have this Power Management tab. For instance, in my case under Human Interface Devices, I have several USB Input Devices listed. All of these have the Power Management tab and power saving box.

So after most Win 10 updates, my computer will suddenly lock up. Then I must check all my devices to see which one(s) had their power saving flag reset.

Now you may never have this problem, but if your Win 10 computer ever freezes, this might be something you want to check.

I might mention two other things:
(1) The freezes never occur when I'm using my computer. My computer stays on 24/7, and the freezes occur when I walk away from the computer for several hours or at night when I'm asleep.
(2) There is a way to ascertain what all these USB devices are. If you are interested, I will provide the steps in another post (as taught to me by dvair). :cboy1:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Barry, I checked and found several boxes checked. They are now unchecked.

I hope that this helps.

Has anyone heard of a module named ndu.sys? This seems to be the problem I'm having with those blue screens. I researched it but got confused. Any information would be helpful.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 pm 

Problems with ndu.sys that result in crashes such as a BSOD usually relate to outdated hardware, outdated firmware or corrupt device drivers.

If you run into issues with the upgrade to Windows 10 2004 the first thing that I'd do would be to make sure that all device drivers are current. You can probably find most on the system manufacturer's web site.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 am 
welcoming committee

bbarry, double check those power settings, pretty sure it says allow computer to turn off device, not allow device to turn off computer.

Joe - ndu.sys has something to do with your network card, might want to see if there are updated drivers for it.

Last edited by dvair on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
bbarry, double check those power settings, pretty sure it says allow computer to turn off device, not allow device to turn off computer.

David, that's what I meant to say.....my tongue got all twisted and reset my brain.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows