Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, as you know I run Win XP in virtual mode on my Win 10 computer using Oracles' VM VirtualBox (you helped me set this up a couple of years ago). I use Win XP to run several old programs that are important to me; namely, my Calendar program and my Address Book program.

This morning I tried to start my Calendar program, and I got the message shown below. I then looked back at the recent Windows Updates. Sure enough, on 9/11 the update KB457175C was installed, and it involved security measures. Specifically, this update said that virtual machines would no longer start if they have RemoteFX vGPU enabled.

I have no idea what all this means. And since virtual machines remain esoteric to me, I'm not sure what to do. I obviously need to modify and/or update VirtualBox, and I am not sure of the steps to follow. Furthermore, I don't know which version of VirtualBox that I am running and I can't seem to find out.

I sure would appreciate your help and guidance on this issue. Thanks in advance.....

Attachment:
VirtualBox.JPG
VirtualBox.JPG [ 37.4 KiB | Viewed 4358 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
For a first step download the latest version from:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Install over the current installed version.

After the new install, if it solves the issue, I'm sure that you will get a notice to update your VirtualBox Extensions.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I'm getting ready to do the download and install of latest version........fingers crossed.

But first I am backing up my VM files to an external drive, as you always advised doing.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm 

If that does not solve check in your BIOS to make sure that hardware virtualization hasn't been disabled. I doubt that has happened as it would be a different error message but still good to check. Happened on my VirtualBox a week or so back.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I went to the site you posted, ready to download the latest version of VirtualBox, which I assume is 6.1. But then I saw this confusing message: If you're looking for the latest VirtualBox 6.0 packages, see VirtualBox 6.0 builds. Please also use version 6.0 if you need to run VMs with software virtualization, as this has been discontinued in 6.1. Version 6.0 will remain supported until July 2020.

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like I must use Version 6.0 for software virtualization, yet Oracle has discontinued the support of 6.0 after July 2020. What is your recommendation on what I should do at this point.....download 6.0 or 6.1?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:10 pm 

Check your system specs of look in your BIOS to see if hardware virtualization is supported. If running an AMD CPU it will probably be called AMD-V. If running an Intel CPU it will probably be called either Intel VT or Hyper-V. In either case it may also just be called hardware virtualization. In some BIOS it is called other things but will usually have virtual in the name. To run VirtualBox 6.1.14, the actual latest, you need to have hardware virtualization enabled in the BIOS.

If it turns out that you have hardware virtualization make sure that it is enabled and install VirtualBox version 6.1.14.

If your system does not have hardware virtualization you may be out of luck but we can possibly look at some settings. Is it that you can't launch VirtualBOX at all or can you launch the thing but are unable to start an actual machine? If you can get to the launcher you can find the version under Help/About. The current of 6.0.x is 6.0.24.

<edit>
I could have sworn this was in Windows 10 but couldn't find and I was right and finally found. You can enable Hyper-V directly through Windows if the system is able. Open your Control Panel (Not Settings) and go to Programs and features then Turn Windows features on or off. Look for Hyper-V and make sure that it is enabled. You will need to do a re-start and MAY need to supply Windows install media but probably not.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 pm 

To add to my above post I looked and Hyper-V was actually disabled in my Control panel so enabled and it broke VirtualBox. Try it but don't be surprised by failure. You will probably still have to look at the BIOS settings. BTW, you will probably find the BIOS setting under Advanced or something like that. The same thing is often called something else between different BIOS.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:59 pm 
welcoming committee

To answer your question about the launching of VirtualBox.....when I click on the icon to launch VB, I immediately get the cited error message, and nothing else happens.

I am running an Intel Core i5-6600 processor.

In my Windows Features, Hyper-V is disabled. But it has two sub-features: (1) Hyper-V Management Tools and (2) Hyper-V Platform. Should I enable the higher level Hyper-V feature or select sub-features?

The Oracle website states that software virtualization has been discontinued in Version 6.1. Does the enabling of Hyper-V eliminate this problem?

Thanks for staying with me on this. I would be lost without my Calendar program that I have been using now for 20+ years.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
To add to my above post I looked and Hyper-V was actually disabled in my Control panel so enabled and it broke VirtualBox. Try it but don't be surprised by failure. You will probably still have to look at the BIOS settings. BTW, you will probably find the BIOS setting under Advanced or something like that. The same thing is often called something else between different BIOS.

I saw this post of yours just as I was doing my last post. When you say broke VB, do you mean permanently or will it recover if I again disable Hyper-V?

Now I am really starting to worry. Will I be better off installing Version 6.0 even though it is no longer supported by Oracle? This is what they say to do if you need software virtualization.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I've got to be away from my computer for a couple of hours. When I return I will check my BIOS settings.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:42 pm 

I would be surprised if you are not already running at least version 6.0.x but you can try installing version 6.0.24 if you don't have hardware virtualization in your BIOS. If you DO have hardware virtualization install version 6.1.14.

Not really sure about the Hyper-V sub-settings. I just enabled the main Hyper-V option which also enabled the subs. As soon as I disabled Hyper-V again VirtualBox was fine.

Leave Hyper-V alone unless going for a last resort. Check the BIOS first. An I5 CPU should have hardware virtualization but is normally disabled by default. Following is a way that you can check the hardware virtualization ability of your system. I think, but am not sure, it will show whether enabled or disabled in the BIOS.

1) Press the Windows logo key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
2) Type cmd in the text box and press enter or click the OK button.
3) Type 'systeminfo' in the command line window that opens without the quotes and press enter.

It will take a few seconds to retrieve the info. Scroll down to the heading for Hyper-V requirements, probably at the end of the list. If everything says 'Yes' then you CPU is capable of hardware virtualization and probably just needs to be enabled in the BIOS. Like I said I believe this works, whether enabled in the BIOS or not, but am not totally sure.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, in 'systeminfo' everything said YES under Hyper-V requirements. Number 2 was 'Virtualization Enabled in Firmware?"

Then I went to my BIOS. Under the Advanced tab here is what I found:
Under Advanced\CPU Configuration
Intel VT-x Technology - supported
Intel SMX Technology - supported
Hyper Threading Technology - not supported

Under Advanced\System Agent Configuration
Vt-d - disabled

Under Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration
Hyper kit mode - disabled

All this is Greek to me, and no where could I find the wording 'hardware virtualization'. The closest was the 'Vt-d' being disabled. Where do I go next?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 pm 

I would enable Vt-d - disabled in the BIOS for a start. Then install VirtualBox 6.1.14 to see what happens (Might want to create a new system image first to be safe.). If there are still issues I would then enable the other disabled option in the BIOS.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:01 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, but before I do I have one question. Why not just install Version 6.0 even though it is no longer supported by Oracle? This is what they say to do if you need software virtualization.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 pm 

You can try installing 6.0.24, can't hurt, but you probably already have it installed unless you haven't upgraded in ages as in a couple of years I would guess. Ya, go ahead and try that first just in case. Probably best for you to just get it going even if not optimal as with hardware virtualization. I don't believe that the software you want to run is demanding so you likely would not even see a difference.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 pm 
welcoming committee

No, I haven't upgraded in a couple of years.

Since the program won't even launch now, is there another way I can determine what version I am currently running?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:42 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Since the program won't even launch now, is there another way I can determine what version I am currently running?

None that I know of. Even if the same version I can't see any harm in installing version 6.0.24 over itself. The worst to happen would be that you are where you are now. If it fails then do the BIOS thing and try version 6.1.14.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, thanks for your support. It's getting close to my bedtime (I get up at 5:00am), so I will do the 6.0.24 install in the morning.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm 

bbarry wrote:
OK, thanks for your support. It's getting close to my bedtime (I get up at 5:00am), so I will do the 6.0.24 install in the morning.

After the install you should know if it is a newer version than current if it alerts that there is an update for the VirtualBox Extensions package. If you get to the launcher make sure to do the Extensions update if offered. Also, if XP launches, make sure to go to the Device tab and insert the Guest Additions ISO and run. Select to continue on any and all alerts on installing device drivers.

Ya know... before you do any installs try right clicking on your VirtualBox icon and select to run as Admin. If that works you can then right click on the icon and select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab selecting to run as Admin. This SHOULD save you from having to right click on every launch.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am 
welcoming committee

Well I am finally back up and running XP in virtual mode! Installing version 6.0.24 and the updated Extension Package did the trick. I still have a minor problem to solve in that the screen text in XP is sorta fuzzy.....not as sharp as it used to be. So I need to research and/or remember how to make the screen text crisp and sharp in XP.

After installing 6.0.24, I did go to the Device Tab and everything looked in order. You recommended that I insert the Guest Additions ISO and run, but I don't have such an ISO. So should I just leave well enough alone at this point?

FYI - Before downloading/installing 6.0.24, I did enable Vt-d, but that didn't help any. Also, I had already tried to run XP and the Compatibility tab as administrator, but that didn't help.

Thanks again for your support....... :bow3:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:40 am 
welcoming committee

I solved the fuzzy text problem.....I turned on Clear Type.

So ALL is well, as it use to be.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 pm 

The Guest Additions ISO is included with VirtualBox and accessed by the bottom option under the Device tab. Do it if you want to be sure that you are running the proper Additions but it isn't all that necessary as long as all is well.

Good job. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines