Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Got a new one for you........Dell Computer with Windows 7 Professional Model Vostro 3900 64 bit OS. It has Word and it works, it has IE and it works but Mozilla Firefox would not work so I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version but it still would not work. Then I decided to download Google Chrome and it does not work either.....On Mozilla, it just shows a string of links to Facebook, Twitter, Wickpedia etc; but all of the links just open a blank page and on Chrome, it says there is no internet connection but thats odd in light of the fact that IE has no such problem connecting and working like it should.

PS..I just downloaded and installed Opera on this computer and it says there is no internet connection as well. I surfed to 5 or 6 different sites on IE and they all came up ok.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Far a first step turn it off and disconnect all power sources. Hit the power button a few times. Reconnect the power and boot.

If the system is connected to the net through a router unplug the router's power connection and let it set for about half a minute. Plug the router back in.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Far a first step turn it off and disconnect all power sources. Hit the power button a few times. Reconnect the power and boot.

If the system is connected to the net through a router unplug the router's power connection and let it set for about half a minute. Plug the router back in.

Hi Jay......did what you said but nothing changed so maybe the layout of my system is in order. My connection to the net is by cable. It enters the Comcast Router at the bottom and at the top there are three Ethernet Cables that connect directly from the Comcast Router to three separate Windows 7 Pro computers. Each of these computers has an icon on the bottom tool bar that shows they are on line and connected. All three computers have Mozilla installed and Mozilla and IE work fine on 2 of the 3 computers and of course, on the third computer, only IE Works. I thought maybe IE was perhaps going to recent visited sites so I went to 6 sites that I had not gone to in ages and IE opened those sites without any problems and directly after doing that, I tried Mozilla and Opera again and they said I do not have a connection to the internet. I even swapped the ethernet cables on the one that is not working but still the same problem. This seem really weird so if you have any more suggestions let me know and I will give it a try.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm 

I have to wonder if your firewall may be blocking the two problematic browsers. If that is the case I would suspect the Windows firewall as, if it were the router firewall, I would think it would affect all three systems.

To check for blocked apps follow the following:
https://www.guidingtech.com/11309/block-or-allow-a-program-in-windows-7-firewall/
If the box to the left of the app is not checked it is blocked. Just look for Mozilla and Chrome, leave other apps as they are.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I have to wonder if your firewall may be blocking the two problematic browsers. If that is the case I would suspect the Windows firewall as, if it were the router firewall, I would think it would affect all three systems.

To check for blocked apps follow the following:
https://www.guidingtech.com/11309/block-or-allow-a-program-in-windows-7-firewall/
If the box to the left of the app is not checked it is blocked. Just look for Mozilla and Chrome, leave other apps as they are.

They are both checked to allow.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:30 pm 

Then I would do a system restore to before the issue started.

Might also want to do security scans.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Then I would do a system restore to before the issue started.

Might also want to do security scans.

I did a system restore to before the issue started and about 1 minute into the restore, I got a blue screen of death and the last words I saw was crash dump. Then the computer went off and restarted on its own, booted back up and said to try another restore point. So I picked the last day it was still ok before the problem started and its running the restore right now.

This time the system restore worked and Now when I click on Mozilla, I get an error message 0xc0000005

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 pm 

Let us know what happens... If it fails you might want to try a system restore in Windows 7 Safe Mode.

I also suggest that you still do in depth security scans.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 pm 

Let's work with one browser at a time. Uninstall Firefox (Mozilla) but also look in your program files and program files x86 and delete any Mozilla folder. Do a new install of Mozilla.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Let's work with one browser at a time. Uninstall Firefox (Mozilla) but also look in your program files and program files x86 and delete any Mozilla folder. Do a new install of Mozilla.

It wont let me uninstall Mozilla Firefox

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:18 pm 

Try installing Firefox again over itself. Then try to uninstall and remove the folders.

I still want you to do in depth security scans.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Try installing Firefox again over itself. Then try to uninstall and remove the folders.

I still want you to do in depth security scans.

Scan did not detect any problems. Installed Firefox over itself and then was able to remove it along with some other Mozilla files

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:06 pm 

Next step would be to install Mozilla again to see what happens.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Next step would be to install Mozilla again to see what happens.

Installed Mozilla again and it wont work. :(

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:09 pm 

Are you current as to Windows Updates?

You might try running FF in safe mode. I mean FF safe mode, not Windows Safe Mode. If this works it would indicate that a FF add-on or extension is the problem.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Are you current as to Windows Updates?

You might try running FF in safe mode. I mean FF safe mode, not Windows Safe Mode. If this works it would indicate that a FF add-on or extension is the problem.

How do I run FF in safe mode?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:37 am 

Hold down the "SHIFT" key when starting Firefox.

This will load Firefox with no add-ons to rule out such being the cause of the issue.

You may also want to look at the following article.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-problems-connecting-websites-after-updating
It seems that just looking for Firefox to be listed and checked in your firewall may not be enough. You may have to remove it from trusted apps and add it back.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hold down the "SHIFT" key when starting Firefox.

This will load Firefox with no add-ons to rule out such being the cause of the issue.

You may also want to look at the following article.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-problems-connecting-websites-after-updating
It seems that just looking for Firefox to be listed and checked in your firewall may not be enough. You may have to remove it from trusted apps and add it back.

This has reached a point where I cannot uninstall anything nor can I download and install anything. Also it will no longer install updates. I tried to download and install LibreOffice but it just stops responding after a few minutes. Updates also stop responding. I have a Windows 7 OS DVD.....is it possible to format the hard drive and start over??

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:55 pm 

What you describe sounds like a badly infected system even if security scans come up negative.

As long as the product code for the Windows install media is not in use I would suggest going ahead and doing a clean install. Even if the product key is in use on the problem PC the worst that should happen is that you would need to use the phone activation.

Keep in mind that it is also possible that this could be a hardware issue involving such things as the memory and/or video card. Not saying that it is but it is possible.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
What you describe sounds like a badly infected system even if security scans come up negative.

As long as the product code for the Windows install media is not in use I would suggest going ahead and doing a clean install. Even if the product key is in use on the problem PC the worst that should happen is that you would need to use the phone activation.

Keep in mind that it is also possible that this could be a hardware issue involving such things as the memory and/or video card. Not saying that it is but it is possible.

How do I do a clean install?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm 

You would boot to the Windows install media and select custom/advanced install. Then follow through and format the hard drive that is to be the Windows drive. Before formatting the drive remove all partitions on the drive which should result in the entire drive showing as unallocated space. Then set up a new partition using the entire drive. Actually you don't even need to setup the drive as one partition and format. Even if you just select the drive and select to continue the Windows installer will setup and partition the drive as needed. Follow through and install to the selected drive. Windows will then set up the drive as needed during the install. If you have more than one drive mounted make VERY sure that you select the proper drive to set up.

You MAY have to go to your BIOS and set the Windows install source as the first boot device. Sometimes it is easier to hit the proper F# key to bring up a menu as to the desired boot device. The proper F# key for this could be just about anything but F9 and F11 are common.

PLEASE remember to backup any data on the system such as documents, music and pictures. If you don't, and the data is on the same drive as is Windows, all such data will be lost. The only such exception to backing up any such data would be if it is duplicated on another system. This can be a hard call as it is possible that such a data file could contain the infection if the system is, in fact, infected as I suspect.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would boot to the Windows install media and select custom/advanced install. Then follow through and format the hard drive that is to be the Windows drive. Before formatting the drive remove all partitions on the drive which should result in the entire drive showing as unallocated space. Then set up a new partition using the entire drive. Actually you don't even need to setup the drive as one partition and format. Even if you just select the drive and select to continue the Windows installer will setup and partition the drive as needed. Follow through and install to the selected drive. Windows will then set up the drive as needed during the install. If you have more than one drive mounted make VERY sure that you select the proper drive to set up.

You MAY have to go to your BIOS and set the Windows install source as the first boot device. Sometimes it is easier to hit the proper F# key to bring up a menu as to the desired boot device. The proper F# key for this could be just about anything but F9 and F11 are common.

PLEASE remember to backup any data on the system such as documents, music and pictures. If you don't, and the data is on the same drive as is Windows, all such data will be lost. The only such exception to backing up any such data would be if it is duplicated on another system. This can be a hard call as it is possible that such a data file could contain the infection if the system is, in fact, infected as I suspect.

I don't see anything in the Bios called the Windows install source

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 pm 

It would not be listed as "Windows install source". If the install source is on a DVD you would set the boot order in the BIOS to show your DVD drive as the first boot option.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It would not be listed as "Windows install source". If the install source is on a DVD you would set the boot order in the BIOS to show your DVD drive as the first boot option.

My options show the following: Internal HDD device, USB storage device, Internal ODD device, USB Floppy Device, and onboard NIC Device

Edit: I used the USB Floppy Drive and when it started to boot up, it said click any key to boot from DVD so when it did that, it took about half an hour for Windows 7 to load all the files. It said that the old system would also load to a folder called Old windows 7 but that never happened. So now every personal file is gone which is ok and I have a system that boots up to a desktop with a Recycle Bin "HOWEVER" it says there is no internet connection and that if I have a network adapter, I need to install the driver.........so, how do I go about getting a driver?

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email