Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The XP patch will likely do nothing as to functionality. It is pretty strictly a security issue within XP.

The examples of a browser or program no longer running has nothing to do with XP directly other than it is no longer supported. It is the vendors of the browser/program that has decided to no longer support XP. Microsoft has nothing to do with this. The vendors decline to support an older operating system simply due it not being profitable. I mean, seriously, why would they continue to spend many hours of programming to make a browser/program work on both a current and obsolete operating system?

Now let's take Windows 2007 and Office 2007. Office 2007 is well past its end of life and no longer supported. That is why you cannot use phone activation. Windows 2007 will re4ach its end of life in a bit over three months and will no longer be supported. It will still work but will get no updates. Phone activation for Windows 7 will also be lost. All this is agreed to when you click on the checkbox saying that you accept the user agreement.

Actually, with Office, I think that Microsoft has gone beyond what could be expected by offering the main components of Office for free on-line through
https://products.office.com/en-us/free-office-online-for-the-web
It is a bit more cumbersome as to saving files to your local system but is able. If Microsoft were only profit driven why would they offer free on-line functionality for this? Yes, Microsoft is profit driven but they also seem to consider those that cannot afford full blown packages. Why else would it be possible for a user to make use of most Office features for free on-line?

I am NOT a Microsoft advocate at all and have often griped about things that Microsoft has done in the past. Still the problems that you are having as to Office 2007 and such is not at all the fault of Microsoft. They are a vendor just like any other software producer and have to make a profit to continue to make Windows more operational and safe. Yes, an operating system is nothing more than software.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:25 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The XP patch will likely do nothing as to functionality. It is pretty strictly a security issue within XP.

The examples of a browser or program no longer running has nothing to do with XP directly other than it is no longer supported. It is the vendors of the browser/program that has decided to no longer support XP. Microsoft has nothing to do with this. The vendors decline to support an older operating system simply due it not being profitable. I mean, seriously, why would they continue to spend many hours of programming to make a browser/program work on both a current and obsolete operating system?

Now let's take Windows 2007 and Office 2007. Office 2007 is well past its end of life and no longer supported. That is why you cannot use phone activation. Windows 2007 will re4ach its end of life in a bit over three months and will no longer be supported. It will still work but will get no updates. Phone activation for Windows 7 will also be lost. All this is agreed to when you click on the checkbox saying that you accept the user agreement.

Actually, with Office, I think that Microsoft has gone beyond what could be expected by offering the main components of Office for free on-line through
It is a bit more cumbersome as to saving files to your local system but is able. If Microsoft were only profit driven why would they offer free on-line functionality for this? Yes, Microsoft is profit driven but they also seem to consider those that cannot afford full blown packages. Why else would it be possible for a user to make use of most Office features for free on-line?

I am NOT a Microsoft advocate at all and have often griped about things that Microsoft has done in the past. Still the problems that you are having as to Office 2007 and such is not at all the fault of Microsoft. They are a vendor just like any other software producer and have to make a profit to continue to make Windows more operational and safe. Yes, an operating system is nothing more than software.

OMG.....I booted Windows XP for the first time in about 5 years and inserted the 3 times authorized 4 times used MS Home and Student disk into the DVD Drive and Lo and Behold.....like Magic, Windows XP spewed out Word, excel, power point etc; It went on to press for "activation". My guess is that activation will make the program shut down. It works fine on XP so no reason for any further action.

I noticed quite a few MS Home and Student Disks for sale on Ebay really cheap so do you think they would install on my Windows 7 computer? Many of them are used so I would only buy a new one that allows 3 installs and is sealed.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:50 pm 

Your install of Office 2007 is probably seen as a trial install and will fail in 30 days unless activated.

As to buying from Ebay any version of Office will install and run on Windows 7. If you go that route just be careful as many program sales on Ebay have been reported to be bootleg.

To be honest I just don't get it. Why do you insist on running and/or buying obsolete software when Libre will do what you need for free and is active and offers updates?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Your install of Office 2007 is probably seen as a trial install and will fail in 30 days unless activated. (Time will tell)

As to buying from Ebay any version of Office will install and run on Windows 7. If you go that route just be careful as many program sales on Ebay have been reported to be bootleg. ( Yes, it looks kind of scary to me too)

To be honest I just don't get it. Why do you insist on running and/or buying obsolete software when Libre will do what you need for free and is active and offers updates?
(Because I have over a TB of data, much of which is on Word and I can no longer access it without MS Word. All I get is Windows cannot open this ***.doc)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 am 

Libre Office's Write should open the files. If Libre is installed try right clicking on one of these files and select to open with Libre.
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

I would also think that the free MS Office on-line should be able to open such files.
I have tried the free on-line version of Word, Excel and Power Point with no issue. Just select the upload and open option for whichever app.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Hi Jay......I would use Libre Office if I could produce the same results as I get in word or if you can tell me how to do it.

As an example, go to the page in Computer Haven where we are having this discussion and highlight 5 or 6 questions and answers down the page and then copy and paste into Libre Office. When I do this, all the text and links show up but none of the pictures and none of the links work.

When I do this very same thing using MS Word, all the text, links, and pictures show up and all the links work. It displays just as if I were on the actual page. That is what I need to have happen and that is why I want to be able to use MS Word

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 pm 

Then you may want to try the free Office on-line to which I linked above. Don't know if it will do what you want but may.

Actually I just tried the above and it works with the free Office On-line. The only thing that I see is that you need to hold the CTRL key when clicking on a link for it to work but I have always experienced this with Word.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:19 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Then you may want to try the free Office on-line to which I linked above. Don't know if it will do what you want but may.

Actually I just tried the above and it works with the free Office On-line. The only thing that I see is that you need to hold the CTRL key when clicking on a link for it to work but I have always experienced this with Word.

I was on the phone with my sister and she said she has a copy of MS Home and Student Office. She said as far as she knows, there is no restrictions on how many times it can be used so first of the week I am going to take a run over to her place and pick it up....and if that does not work, it looks like free Office on line will be my next choice. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 pm 

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I was on the phone with my sister and she said she has a copy of MS Home and Student Office. She said as far as she knows, there is no restrictions on how many times it can be used so first of the week I am going to take a run over to her place and pick it up....and if that does not work, it looks like free Office on line will be my next choice. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help.

It depends on the version of Office Home and Student but none offer unlimited installs. If it is the current version the max package allows for 6 devices.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

It depends on the version of Office Home and Student but none offer unlimited installs. If it is the current version the max package allows for 6 devices.

Oh Jeez......sis's CD with word on it installed everything ok but right at the end it asked for the Product Key and there it was right on the back of the CD Case right next to "Do Not Lose This Case" because you will need to refer to the product key located on the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity "EVERY" time you install this software..........so there it was, I typed it in and guess what !!! It said this is an INVALID KEY. I went back and meticulously checked each letter and number to make sure it was correct and there were no mistakes. Do you think there is any way around this? or has MS torpedoed my ship again?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:15 pm 

Did you uninstall the existing version of Office before installing the new? If not it MAY be looking for a valid key for the initial install. That is just a guess as I really don't know. Also remember that even if a character in the key looks like 'O - oh' it is probably '0 zero'.

Keep in mind that even if you get the code entered and accepted it is possible that it still won't activate if it is Office 2007 Home and student. I doubt this but it is possible as Office 2007 reached its end of life just over two years ago and may have been removed from the activation servers.

I would still try selecting to open with Libre Write or using the on-line Office.

Hey, I just tried something. Open Wordpad and try some of your Word files. Wordpad WILL open .docx files. I tried several and they all loaded. It will depend on what features of Word you use as Wordpad does not have all of Word's functions. At least the version of Wordpad included in Windows 10 will open .docx files. I don't know about the version of Wordpad included in Windows 7.

<edit>

Just checked in my Windows 7 virtual machine and Windows 7's Wordpad WILL open Word's .docx files. As in Windows 10's Wordpad there will be a closable line of text below the functions ribbon stating that some functions of the file may not work but the only file I tried that didn't load was an envelope.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I am fairly certain that Home & Student Office 2007 will still activate. I could, of course, be wrong, but Jay is correct on checking letter O or number 0 as these can look very similar. Also watch for I and number 1.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I am fairly certain that Home & Student Office 2007 will still activate. I could, of course, be wrong, but Jay is correct on checking letter O or number 0 as these can look very similar. Also watch for I and number 1.

Checked the Key Steve and there are no O's or 0's or I's or 1's in the key....also need to clarify that this is not MS Home and Student and that there were no versions of Home and Student installed. I removed everything before making the installation. This program is called Microsoft Works Suite 2004

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Ah! Works was discontinued ages upon ages ago. Getting to to even work on Windows 7 has been a chore for some people. I couldn't find any reference to activation, but I strongly urge you to remove Works 2004 as is truly is outdated and long unsupported.
My guess is that her Works CD came with her PC and the key requires that it be installed on that PC.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:35 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Ah! Works was discontinued ages upon ages ago. Getting to to even work on Windows 7 has been a chore for some people. I couldn't find any reference to activation, but I strongly urge you to remove Works 2004 as is truly is outdated and long unsupported.
My guess is that her Works CD came with her PC and the key requires that it be installed on that PC.

She also gave me Microsoft Office 97.......after I removed Works 2004, I installed Office 97. Seven Years older than Works 2004 and it installed without a glitch. The format was very much the same as Word but still did not have all the useable features. More like Wordpad that Jay mentioned. So.......Im still on "The Hunt for Word"

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 pm 

There is no need to "Hunt for Word". :) If you want a working and current copy then you buy it. It really is as simple as that but there are other options...

You said that you had close to a TB of data, largely Word files. Since you are used to Office 2007 I would suspect that most of these Word files are in .docx format, not .doc format. The really old versions of Word you are looking at such as Office 97 should not be able to open a .docx formatted file.

I still say that you should look at Libre Office if you don't want to buy a yearly subscription to the current Microsoft Office. There are some differences in navigation between Microsoft Office and Libre Office but, basically, they are the same. Actually Libre Office has a bit of an edge over Microsoft Office as to the variety of file formats it can deal with.

Let's throw out a visual comparison... The first image is Microsoft Word 2007 in my Windows 7 virtual machine. The second is Libre Writer in my normal Windows 10. They would look the same regardless of the Windows version. The same file is open in both. Yes they look different and Libre Writer seems to be slightly more menu driven but all the functions are there and it is free. Yes, there would be a bit of a learning curve as to finding your way around Libre Writer but how much time have you spent trying to get old versions of Word to work for you?

Attachment:
word sample.png
word sample.png [ 178.4 KiB | Viewed 4084 times ]

Attachment:
writer sample.png
writer sample.png [ 213.11 KiB | Viewed 4084 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
There is no need to "Hunt for Word". :) If you want a working and current copy then you buy it. It really is as simple as that but there are other options...

You said that you had close to a TB of data, largely Word files. Since you are used to Office 2007 I would suspect that most of these Word files are in .docx format, not .doc format. The really old versions of Word you are looking at such as Office 97 should not be able to open a .docx formatted file.

I still say that you should look at Libre Office if you don't want to buy a yearly subscription to the current Microsoft Office. There are some differences in navigation between Microsoft Office and Libre Office but, basically, they are the same. Actually Libre Office has a bit of an edge over Microsoft Office as to the variety of file formats it can deal with.

Let's throw out a visual comparison... The first image is Microsoft Word 2007 in my Windows 7 virtual machine. The second is Libre Writer in my normal Windows 10. They would look the same regardless of the Windows version. The same file is open in both. Yes they look different and Libre Writer seems to be slightly more menu driven but all the functions are there and it is free. Yes, there would be a bit of a learning curve as to finding your way around Libre Writer but how much time have you spent trying to get old versions of Word to work for you?

Hi Jay......This is a bit more complicated for me because the computer I am using is connected to two TV Monitors both of which are set up using HDMI input. The computer that has a working MS Word program running is VGA and everything works great and Word does everything I want but its on the wrong computer.
I have tried to use Libre Office for what I have been doing in word but I cannot get the same results so perhaps I am not doing things correctly. In MS Home and Student Word, I can go to a web page such as this one we are on right now, highlight the whole page and do "edit copy" then open MS Word and do "Edit Paste" and it opens all the text, all the pictures, and all the links. When I do the same thing in Libre Office all I get is the text and the links but the links don't work and there are no pictures........so what do you think?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 pm 

Trying to copy/paste this thread in Libre Write I get some but not all images. All links I tried worked opening my browser to the linked page. I pasted as HTML to a new HTML document.

To be honest the layout was messed up but it is also messed up if I use Word. Since I don't use either editor in this way I can't say if there is a way to do it that gives the same layout as the actual web page. Mayhaps, if you can give detailed steps as to how you do it in Word I can duplicate and then see how to do it in Write. Right now I get the same results in both. Please also include the browser in use. I am using Firefox as a default.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Trying to copy/paste this thread in Libre Write I get some but not all images. All links I tried worked opening my browser to the linked page. I pasted as HTML to a new HTML document.

To be honest the layout was messed up but it is also messed up if I use Word. Since I don't use either editor in this way I can't say if there is a way to do it that gives the same layout as the actual web page. Mayhaps, if you can give detailed steps as to how you do it in Word I can duplicate and then see how to do it in Write. Right now I get the same results in both. Please also include the browser in use. I am using Firefox as a default.

The following is what I do in MS Office 2007 Home and Student Word
1. I open the Firefox Browser and go to the current page here in Computer Haven.
2. I click on Edit>Select All and this highlights everything on the page
3. Then I click on Edit>Copy
4. Next I open MS Home and Student Word and set the orientation to Landscape and the page layout to Narrow.
5. Last step is to right click on the blank Word page and click on Paste. For me, this displays the entire page with all the text, links, and pictures just as you see them on the Computer Haven Page and everything works just as though you were on the actual Computer Haven Page.
6. When I do the same thing on Libre, only the top two pictures display plus the text and links and the orientation is way off.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:04 pm 

In Libre Writer select File then hover over New and select HTML document. Now right click within the document and hover over Paste Special and select More Options. Select either of the first two options.

The above seems to work decently but the avatars are on the right instead of the left. I don't understand the avatar position difference. This may do what you need.

<edit>
BTW, Sooner or later the refusal of Office 2007 activation will end. It is a matter of the number of activations within a certain amount of time. I had an experiment going on with my laptop where activation failed due to the number of activations. Just went back to it and it activated fine proving that this is time related. Sorry but I don't boot my laptop often so can't say what the time span happens to be. At a guess I'd say 3-4 months.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:34 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In Libre Writer select File then hover over New and select HTML document. Now right click within the document and hover over Paste Special and select More Options. Select either of the first two options.

The above seems to work decently but the avatars are on the right instead of the left. I don't understand the avatar position difference. This may do what you need.

<edit>
BTW, Sooner or later the refusal of Office 2007 activation will end. It is a matter of the number of activations within a certain amount of time. I had an experiment going on with my laptop where activation failed due to the number of activations. Just went back to it and it activated fine proving that this is time related. Sorry but I don't boot my laptop often so can't say what the time span happens to be. At a guess I'd say 3-4 months.

Hi Jay...….thanks for going over that for me. I'm not sure what I will do at this point. The MS Home and Student Word program that I have works perfect for doing this but it's on the wrong computer. With Libre, my Avatars ended up on the wrong side as well.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

<edit>

Hi Jay......I ended up buying Libre Office 2019 for $7.99 on Amazon. Once I installed it, it upgraded to version 6.3.2.2 and can be installed on unlimited computers. It seems to work pretty good for my use. All the pics and links work great. Right next to it on the same page at Amazon was Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Product Key Card- 1PC/1User [Download] for $139.95..........can only be used on one PC and you don't even get a disk. I really do need to learn how to use Libre !!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:22 pm 

Sigh, I gave, often, links to download Libre Office. The seller on Amazon is a rip-off and, possibly, adding bad stuff that could compromise your system. Libre Office is and always has been totally free through:

It is most likely that the Amazon seller did nothing wrong other than to violate the Libre Office License agreement that states that, while it can be freely distributed, there can not be any charge involved. You just have to be careful with Amazon and eBay sellers. Any that charge for totally free software have to be suspect.

Not that it would get you anywhere but, if me, I'd be tempted to contact the Amazon seller and demand a refund. If the seller sent you a disk they would just claim that the charge was for burning and supplying the disk and not actually for Libre Office. This is just a low life practice put out by some bad sellers. In reality there is never a need to have an install disk in relation to Libre Office and the one you may have received was not even current per the fact that it updated after the install. If you want to install Libre Office on any system you just go to https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ and download and run the current version installer. Actually the main site behind these forums, https://computerhaven.com , has a link to the most current download of Libre Office under the 'Downloads' link..

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sigh, I gave, often, links to download Libre Office. The seller on Amazon is a rip-off and, possibly, adding bad stuff that could compromise your system. Libre Office is and always has been totally free through:

It is most likely that the Amazon seller did nothing wrong other than to violate the Libre Office License agreement that states that, while it can be freely distributed, there can not be any charge involved. You just have to be careful with Amazon and eBay sellers. Any that charge for totally free software have to be suspect.

Not that it would get you anywhere but, if me, I'd be tempted to contact the Amazon seller and demand a refund. If the seller sent you a disk they would just claim that the charge was for burning and supplying the disk and not actually for Libre Office. This is just a low life practice put out by some bad sellers. In reality there is never a need to have an install disk in relation to Libre Office and the one you may have received was not even current per the fact that it updated after the install. If you want to install Libre Office on any system you just go to https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ and download and run the current version installer. Actually the main site behind these forums, https://computerhaven.com , has a link to the most current download of Libre Office under the 'Downloads' link..

I did download the link for Libre that you gave me but it would not work correctly. Don't you recall us talking about that? Also might add that the Disk I bought from Amazon worked correctly. I used it several days before I downloaded the update. I was quite surprised that the disk came air mail from England.....probably cost close the price of the item to do that.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm 

Oh, I thought that it not working in Libre Office was solved by pasting to a Libre Writer HTML Document. Or is what you got putting the avatars on the left instead of the right if done from a forum page?

If it does better now than how I advised (the HTML document method) I don't get it as, especially after the update, it should be the same as directly downloading.

Bottom line is it seems to be working for you and that is what counts. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows