Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 7 Pro Display
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Got a new Windows 7 Pro Desktop computer and need to know if there is any way to change the width of the top and bottom task bars. They are too wide and do not display the top left "back" button, the top right "tools button, the bottom left "Start button" and the bottom right "desktop" button.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not sure exactly what you mean by top and bottom taskbars as it should be either or, not both. If possible a screenshot would help. I have a hunch that the actul taskbar is at the bottom and the top is a menu bar that was installed by the system manufacturer or you are referring to the top menu in your web browser.

If I understand what you are saying do you connect to your monitor via HDMI? If so there may be an option in your video settings called HDMI scaling, usually a slide bar. If you have this you can adjust the slide bar to make everything fit.

If you are connecting through other than HDMI the monitor itself may have a menu option for the display size. If so you should be able to adjust the display size throuth the monitor's menu to make everything fit.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean by top and bottom taskbars as it should be either or, not both. If possible a screenshot would help. I have a hunch that the actul taskbar is at the bottom and the top is a menu bar that was installed by the system manufacturer or you are referring to the top menu in your web browser.

If I understand what you are saying do you connect to your monitor via HDMI? If so there may be an option in your video settings called HDMI scaling, usually a slide bar. If you have this you can adjust the slide bar to make everything fit.

If you are connecting through other than HDMI the monitor itself may have a menu option for the display size. If so you should be able to adjust the display size throuth the monitor's menu to make everything fit.

It is connected to the monitor via HDMI.......It is actually connected to 2 monitors through a HDMI switching device. I have no idea where to look for the video settings. The larger of the two monitors displays everything ok but the smaller one has the display problem

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm 

By HDMI switching device do you mean a unit that has one HDMI input and two HDMI outputs? Also I would assume the unit does not give you true dual displays but just uses one display that can be shown on one or the other monitor or possibly both at the same time but the displays are the same. By both displays being the same I mean say you open your web browser it will display on whichever monitor is selected or both monitors at the same time if that is possible. Is this correct?

If the above is the case it brings up a problem. Unless the smaller monitor has a size setting in its menu functions you would need to use HDMI scaling to make the display fit the screen. The problem is that, if you scale the HDMI to fit the smaller monitor the display on the larger monitor will become smaller than the actual screen. I have a hunch that if you right click on your desktop and select Display Settings then Identify you will see that both monitors will show as monitor 1. In fact I suspect that you will only see one monitor image shown in display settings.

If you have multiple video outputs on the actual system you would be better off using one for each monitor. That way you could scale each display to fit its monitor.

I have the same issue that you see between my two displays; a 42 inch HDTV and a 32 inch HDTV. In my case though I have a true dual display setup with each display connected to its own video port. This allows me to set the HDMI scaling for the smaller monitor without affecting the larger.

Please provide the make and model of the system so we can look up what video it uses and better advise.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
By HDMI switching device do you mean a unit that has one HDMI input and two HDMI outputs? Also I would assume the unit does not give you true dual displays but just uses one display that can be shown on one or the other monitor or possibly both at the same time but the displays are the same. By both displays being the same I mean say you open your web browser it will display on whichever monitor is selected or both monitors at the same time if that is possible. Is this correct?

If the above is the case it brings up a problem. Unless the smaller monitor has a size setting in its menu functions you would need to use HDMI scaling to make the display fit the screen. The problem is that, if you scale the HDMI to fit the smaller monitor the display on the larger monitor will become smaller than the actual screen. I have a hunch that if you right click on your desktop and select Display Settings then Identify you will see that both monitors will show as monitor 1. In fact I suspect that you will only see one monitor image shown in display settings.

If you have multiple video outputs on the actual system you would be better off using one for each monitor. That way you could scale each display to fit its monitor.

I have the same issue that you see between my two displays; a 42 inch HDTV and a 32 inch HDTV. In my case though I have a true dual display setup with each display connected to its own video port. This allows me to set the HDMI scaling for the smaller monitor without affecting the larger.

Please provide the make and model of the system so we can look up what video it uses and better advise.

A single HDMI cable comes out the back of the desktop computer and goes to a switch which has 2 HDMI output ports. These output ports go to the monitors. Only one can be powered at a time so one screen is blank and the other shows the desktop. Clicking on the switch reverses the HDMI output. The settings are the same for both monitors. One monitor is 44" and the other is 64". There does not appear to be a method to set the monitors individually.

It's a Dell 390 Tower - Intel Core i3 3.10GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, WiFi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:16 pm 

Usually along the right side or the bottom right on a monitor there will be some buttons. See if your smaller monitor has such. If so press until you hit the menu button. Look for a size setting for the monitor. To be honest I see this as your best hope.

The main problem is that you are using two different sized screens and wanting them to display the same. Unless the smaller monitor has a size setting in its menu options I think that you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

I can't right now but I'll look at your system specs and see if there may be a work around for this. I hope that you got a really good price on this system as you have about three months as to Windows 7 support reaching end of life. I hope that it was a VERY cheap purchase...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Usually along the right side or the bottom right on a monitor there will be some buttons. See if your smaller monitor has such. If so press until you hit the menu button. Look for a size setting for the monitor. To be honest I see this as your best hope.

The main problem is that you are using two different sized screens and wanting them to display the same. Unless the smaller monitor has a size setting in its menu options I think that you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

I can't right now but I'll look at your system specs and see if there may be a work around for this. I hope that you got a really good price on this system as you have about three months as to Windows 7 support reaching end of life. I hope that it was a VERY cheap purchase...

There is a remote for that monitor and it led me to a menu button and then to a pixel adust 100% and the monitor went to full screen so now both monitors are displaying correctly....Holy Toledo......you did it Jay. Thanks so much. As for support from MS, it's more like they are doing everything they can to make it not work........things like "you can only use Microsoft Word 21 times" and then it will stop working and Microsoft Encoder, "you can only use that for 10 minutes" and then we will cut it off. All I can say about MS after reading those statements from them is that they think only about making money, they are not here to help, they are here to deter people from using a product that they made and force me to buy something new.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 am 

The reason that the software usage is limited is that they are trial versions installed by Dell. Microsoft has nothing to with the software being there.

I'm glad that your monitors are now OK. :)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The reason that the software usage is limited is that they are trial versions installed by Dell. Microsoft has nothing to with the software being there.

I'm glad that your monitors are now OK. :)

Hi Jay......Microsoft Office Home and Student did not come pre installed on my new Windows 7 Pro. I personally installed it off the Microsoft Office Home and Student Disk that I purchased for a considerable amount of money on Amazon in 2007 so I have to stick with my statement, they are not here to help, they are here to deter me from using a product that they made and forcing me to buy something new. It was the same with their determination to force people to update to Windows 10 back in 2015. The following is a statement made by Peter 2150 in December of 2015.

"Also and I hate to say it, but if you don't turn off auto updating, you will still get stuck. Microsoft has become a major purveyor of unwanted software."

I think he is right. I finally caved in and bought Windows 10 Pro and did not like it, set it aside and got Windows 7 Pro thinking that I could run MS Office just as I had been doing on my old Windows 7 Pro.....I'm thinking of changing my user name to "Dreamer"

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

If Office Home and Student installed from disk is reporting limited use before it will stop working, that means it has not been activated yet.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 pm 

sboots wrote:
If Office Home and Student installed from disk is reporting limited use before it will stop working, that means it has not been activated yet.

It is possible that there could be an issue with activation. Consider that Office was previously installed and then, if I remember right, the system was upgraded to Windows 10. Then the system was dropped back down to Windows 7 and Office installed again. It is possible that activations have exceeded their limit. I mean, after the install of Office 2007, there should have been a request to activate on the first load of and Office app.

Considering that we are talking about Office 2007, and Allyson does not do system images, I'd prefer that Libre Office be used as I've recommended in at least one other thread. There is no real loss of functionality and it is free and will handle more recent Office formats such as .docx.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:

It is possible that there could be an issue with activation. Consider that Office was previously installed and then, if I remember right, the system was upgraded to Windows 10. Then the system was dropped back down to Windows 7 and Office installed again. It is possible that activations have exceeded their limit. I mean, after the install of Office 2007, there should have been a request to activate on the first load of and Office app.

Considering that we are talking about Office 2007, and Allyson does not do system images, I'd prefer that Libre Office be used as I've recommended in at least one other thread. There is no real loss of functionality and it is free and will handle more recent Office formats such as .docx.

Hi Guys......I tried to activate it but it says the specified product key has been activated the maximum number of 3 times then it says to back up and use the phone option if I did not agree with number of times it was used which I did and it said telephone activation is no longer supported for this software. As far as I recall, I only installed it 3 times, once on old Windows 7 and once on new Windows 10 and third time on new Windows 7 that I am now using. I think Jay may be right, however, that the number of times it was used may have been counted but definitely it was installed on only 3 computers

In any event, Word still opens but you cannot type anything in it or install pics etc; I could buy Office Home and Student 2019 but the description says it will only run on Windows 10 and Apple Mac OS. This new Dell Computer came with Libre Office which looks very similar to Word so I will explore that option Jay.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:52 pm 

I think that you are missing an install of Office 2007. If I remember right you had it installed on the old system in Win 7 then upgraded to Win 10 and activated again. You then went back to Win 7 on that system and activated. That makes three activations before the new system.

Do take a good look at Libre Office. Since it can handle the MS Office formats for Office that are more recent than Office 2007 it is really your best choice unless you are willing to pay for a yearly subscription for Office 365 at a price of $100.00 per year.

Allyson I don't mean to preach but totally disabling Windows updates puts your system in potential danger. Most of the updates deal with security issues that could potentially lead to your system being compromised. Yes, there are times that an update can cause an issue as both Steve and myself recently experienced. Please don't totally disable updates. Instead set updates to notify and then just wait a few weeks before applying to give time for flaws to have been fixed.

One must remember that a computer connected to the internet can have an impact on other systems connected to the internet. Running a connected system carries a level of responsibility as the system must be kept current and protected or there is a risk of compromising other systems that connect to yours. First reaction to that might be that your system is not connected to others but it is just through emails. Think about it... How would you feel if a friend's system got infected through a faked email that looked like it was from you but was not? Now consider how you would feel if the friend's messed up system never would have happened if you had applied the security update that would have prevented it from happening.

Of course there is the argument that everything put out by Microsoft should be tested as safe before it is released but that is just not reasonable. The Windows OS contains millions of lines of computer code. There is no way that every line can be expected to be perfect. It is the purpose of Windows Updates to fix these flaws.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I think that you are missing an install of Office 2007. If I remember right you had it installed on the old system in Win 7 then upgraded to Win 10 and activated again. You then went back to Win 7 on that system and activated. That makes three activations before the new system.

Do take a good look at Libre Office. Since it can handle the MS Office formats for Office that are more recent than Office 2007 it is really your best choice unless you are willing to pay for a yearly subscription for Office 365 at a price of $100.00 per year.

Allyson I don't mean to preach but totally disabling Windows updates puts your system in potential danger. Most of the updates deal with security issues that could potentially lead to your system being compromised. Yes, there are times that an update can cause an issue as both Steve and myself recently experienced. Please don't totally disable updates. Instead set updates to notify and then just wait a few weeks before applying to give time for flaws to have been fixed.

One must remember that a computer connected to the internet can have an impact on other systems connected to the internet. Running a connected system carries a level of responsibility as the system must be kept current and protected or there is a risk of compromising other systems that connect to yours. First reaction to that might be that your system is not connected to others but it is just through emails. Think about it... How would you feel if a friend's system got infected through a faked email that looked like it was from you but was not? Now consider how you would feel if the friend's messed up system never would have happened if you had applied the security update that would have prevented it from happening.

Of course there is the argument that everything put out by Microsoft should be tested as safe before it is released but that is just not reasonable. The Windows OS contains millions of lines of computer code. There is no way that every line can be expected to be perfect. It is the purpose of Windows Updates to fix these flaws.

I have not turned off updates on this new computer........have gotten over 60 updates since I turned it on. Eleven are there this morning, one for Net Framework or something like that and 10 for MS Office. Why would they send me updates for MS Office after denying me use of it??

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:46 am 

Windows Updates does not know that Office is not activated. It only knows that it is installed so it supplies updates.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Windows Updates does not know that Office is not activated. It only knows that it is installed so it supplies updates.

OK, I just got 37 more updates for MS Office....should I install them or delete MS Office from my computer?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:39 pm 

Personally I'd remove Office and go with Libre. Libre Calc lacks some of the appearance frills from Office Excel but Libre Write is pretty much the same as Office Word.

Since you have 37 Office updates pending you should probably do a check for updates if you remove Office. I would think that the pending updates will clear after removing Office and doing a check for updates.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Personally I'd remove Office and go with Libre. Libre Calc lacks some of the appearance frills from Office Excel but Libre Write is pretty much the same as Office Word.

Since you have 37 Office updates pending you should probably do a check for updates if you remove Office. I would think that the pending updates will clear after removing Office and doing a check for updates.

The updates for Windows MS Office ended up removed as you said after I removed MS Office from the computer. There was another whole slew of updates, all of which were downloaded and installed. I have been getting more than 10 a day.

As a matter of clarity for me, can I assume if my license for MS Office was for 3 computers and I installed MS Office on one computer, it crashed and the entire system had to be erased and Windows 7 had to be installed again, and MS Office had to be reinstalled because of the crash......does that result in MS Office being installed on 1 computer or 2 computers??

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 pm 

Allyson wrote:
As a matter of clarity for me, can I assume if my license for MS Office was for 3 computers and I installed MS Office on one computer, it crashed and the entire system had to be erased and Windows 7 had to be installed again, and MS Office had to be reinstalled because of the crash......does that result in MS Office being installed on 1 computer or 2 computers??

My guess is that it would be seen as two installs.

Under normal circumstances you could use the phone option for Office 2007 activation but Office 2007 is past its end of life and there just isn't any such support being offered anymore.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Under normal circumstances you could use the phone option for Office 2007 activation but Office 2007 is past its end of life and there just isn't any such support being offered anymore.

What a joke !!!! I'm sure when the time comes along, they will shut down my Windows 7 Pro too.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:01 am 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

What a joke !!!! I'm sure when the time comes along, they will shut down my Windows 7 Pro too.

Jan. 14, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 am 

Allyson wrote:
I think he is right. I finally caved in and bought Windows 10 Pro and did not like it, set it aside and got Windows 7 Pro thinking that I could run MS Office just as I had been doing on my old Windows 7 Pro.....I'm thinking of changing my user name to "Dreamer"

Is there a particular reason that you don't like Windows 10 Allyson? I really think you should think again and give 10 chance, the added security is needed these days with the number of hackers and scammers around and I'm sure you will like it once you get used to it.

I know a lot of people don't like change but it's the way forward in these days of technology it's evolving day by day, I prefer the quiet life so don't like too much change, I'm 76, but change is good and I've found it extremely easy to use 10 and like it a lot.

Don't forget either that there is always someone here that can help you with any niggles you might have. :)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:

Windows 7 Pro will not be shut down. It will, however, no longer be supported. That means that updates will no longer be deployed to it and over time it becomes increasingly risky to use it as security issues will not be patched. Of course, there are exceptions -- they patched a major issue on XP long after it was out of support.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:31 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Is there a particular reason that you don't like Windows 10 Allyson? I really think you should think again and give 10 chance, the added security is needed these days with the number of hackers and scammers around and I'm sure you will like it once you get used to it. :)

Yes, there is a particular reason I don't like it....... Windows 10 wants to control what I do, it wants to create things on my computer that I don't want and it wants to take away things that I do want.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:43 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Windows 7 Pro will not be shut down. It will, however, no longer be supported. That means that updates will no longer be deployed to it and over time it becomes increasingly risky to use it as security issues will not be patched. Of course, there are exceptions -- they patched a major issue on XP long after it was out of support.

-steve

Hi Steve.......XP is a good example of what Im talking about. It boots up and runs ok but kind of useless to try and use it............lots of "we're sorry but you cant use that browser or that program will no longer run on XP.....it's been down about 4 or 5 years so maybe I can start it up and see if it will install the patch you referred to.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows