Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This only applies if you have an AMD Radeon video card and are using Radeon Settings version 19.x.x and are connected to a video display using HDMI.

There is a glitch with Radeon Settings where the slide bar for HDMI scaling MAY be missing under the Display tab. This will, most likely, show up if you are using multiple displays and the display symptom will be that the screen on all but the primary display does not fit the screen. In my case the size being sent to the second display was too large for the screen all but totally hiding the taskbar. Normally under the Display tab in Radeon Settings there is a slide bar to adjust the HDMI scaling to make the screen size fit the monitor/HDTV used as your monitor.

I don't know what causes this glitch but I happened to luck out through "playing" and found the cure. Go to Windows Display Settings and lower your screen resolution for each display to one option below what is recommended. Go to Radeon Settings and you will find that the HDMI Scaling slide bar is back. Go back to Windows Display Settings and set the screen resolution back to the recommended and the HDMI scaling slide bar will still be shown in Radeon Settings.

Trying to solve this issue through searches I saw a lot of discussion and many potential cures. None of the cures I found fixed my issue. The solution above worked for me. I actually found it by accident by thinking that a different screen resolution might fit my display better. It didn't but changing the resolution brought back the HDMI scaling slide bar.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am 

I'm ok then, the only AMD in this house is my HP laptop and that's an AMD Radeon R5 Graphics and doesn't connect to anything else, apart from the router. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:59 pm 

Kind of forgot about this thread...

Joan, you would automatically be OK as you only run single monitors and the issue only comes up with multiple screens.

I have to admit that, while I don't really understand, I have the solution and all is well. I just don't really understand why the HDMI scaling drops out unless you drop the monitor resolution and then go back to the resolution you want on multiple displays. The main display always seems fine. It is only the secondary screens that are affected. I mean that the HDMI scaling is missing from all displays unless you drop the resolution and go back but the main display never seems to need the scaling.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 am 

Sounds like a mystery you'd like to find the answer to. :-D

I know someone who has a 6 monitor set-up.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:18 pm 

No real mystery Joan. It is a glitch in the software in combination with a video card that is getting on in age. It is really a good 4 GB card but is old enough to even be missing a setting available with a newer card.

Don't know if I will but I've considered getting a new card and using this one in my second system. If I do that I'd probably also want to get a larger power supply. This card was originally in the second system before I built my main. When I first got the card I thought the system had a 650 watt power supply but it was only 550 watt. The card blew up the power supply. I replaced it with a 900 watt power supply that I moved to the newer build. I wish I had gone larger but only got a 650 watt power supply to put the second system back together. In theory the 650 power supply is large enough to power the video card but it would be close to its limit as I also have several hard drives in the second system. I don't like to stress components. Then again, since I would have no use for the 650 watt power supply if I got larger, It almost makes sense to just stay with the thing and if it blows it blows and I get a new power supply. The only issue with that is that a stressed power supply can affect other components. LOL! I'll actually probably do none of the above. I figure that in a year or two I'll be building a new main system and the current main will become the second system. :mrgreen:

Don't really know why but I always tend to go with video cards that are much more powerful than I need. There are advantages to this practice though. I remember in the days of Windows Vista I was running a 1 GHz. CPU and wanted to try a game demo that had a minimum requirement of a 1.5 GHz. CPU. The demo ran perfectly. The reason was that I had a killer video card. When it comes to games and/or any other graphic intensive apps, such as video encoding, the graphics card can often be more important than the CPU. Of course it does not hurt to have both as with my main. :ugeek:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm 

Sounds as if you have everything under control there. :-) The only games I play on here are a couple of games on Facebook and a Microsoft card game, plus I don't do video or photo manipulation so don't need to have anything more than what the machine came with.

I'll leave the Geeky stuff to you. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:08 pm 

Been under control. It is really just a minor irritation. I have a strong hunch if I just did a driver update instead of doing clean installs the issue would go away and my scaling settings would be maintained.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am 

:rofl2: Just admit it, you like to work things out rather than have an easy fix. :twisted:

Mind you that's good it means you have a better understanding of peoples problems when they come here if you've been through it yourself. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

Case proven. :mrgreen:

Another video driver and settings update came through. This time I did a normal install instead of a clean install. As I expected the HDMI scaling slide bar in the settings software survived as did the actual setting for my second display. Since I know how to fix both going away on a clean install I WILL go back to clean installs. I just prefer doing clean installs on video drivers. Old habit from when clean installs helped prevent some issues.

For any that do not know the difference between a normal and clean install... A clean install totally removes the old version then installs the new. This normally needs a system restart to finish. A normal install just overwrites the old versions with the new without first uninstalling the old. While this often prevents the need for a system restart it can leave some stuff from the old version that can, potentially, cause issues. I know that it seems strange that I just typed that as doing a clean install brings up an issue in this case. The thing is that the issue caused by the clean install is easily fixed. If video is lost due to an issue between an old and new versions it can be more involved to fix.

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I know this thread is old, but this problem persists, and, it happens on newer cards as well. The solution, also, still works. But why hasn't this been fixed? It's been nearly a year since this thread, yet the problem never went.

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:45 pm 

Hi, _R_T_,

I haven't seen this issue since August, 2019. It would seem that it has been fixed. At least fixed in U.S. versions. I can't speak for the Netherlands.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing