Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 10 Update
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I have had my Windows 10 Home computer for some time now and things are still a mess trying to use it. When I started it up the other night, it went through the old routine of installing updates, then removing updates and then after a 2 hours or so installing and removing, it came on line and said I needed to install updates. It just seems insane that Microsoft would put out such a product that is totally worthless. I know that I have talked about this before on here and the last that I recall, it had something to do with waiting for a particular update, April update comes to mind. Anyway, does anyone know if this is fixable and if so, how would I go about doing it?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Update
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:11 am 

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your machine Allyson, can you tell us what build your machine has?

One of the experts will be here shortly and give you the help you need but it will help them if they know the version your Windows 10 machine is, unless you've already told them via another post I've missed.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:33 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, what version of Windows 10 are you running? Probably 1809.

I'm going to guess that it is trying to install the May 2019 (version 1903) feature update and failing by the time involved. I would suggest going to
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and download/run the media creation tool. Have it make an ISO file then burn to DVD or have it set up a flash drive. Try doing the update manually.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:07 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I'm going to guess that it is trying to install the May 2019 (version 1903) feature update and failing by the time involved. I would suggest going to
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
and download/run the media creation tool. Have it make an ISO file then burn to DVD or have it set up a flash drive. Try doing the update manually.

This is Windows 10 Home Edition, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.431

Will give your suggestion a try and get back

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Went through this whole process of downloading to the USB drive and upon completion of the installation, I got an error message: "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC has hardware that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once the issue has been resolved."

This was followed by a link to the following page telling why.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... windows-10

I think it more or less says I can't have a USB drive installed and since a usb drive is needed to download the installation and do it manually, they have put a hold on it.

Your thoughts?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, it does sound that way -- which is rather dumb, unfortunately. There are a few reasons that the latest update can't be installed yet, but the biggest is that an attached USB drive might have it's drive letter changed after the update, so Microsoft has chosen to work on a fix before releasing to PCs with a USB drive attached.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:56 pm 

Sigh, even old memory restores itself at times. You had this same issue trying to upgrade from Windows 10 version 1709 to version 1809.

The issue is how your main board and BIOS sees your drives. This is actually the fault of the computer builder, not Microsoft. Does your computer have a built in DVD burner? If so use the creation tool mentioned before to create an ISO file then go to where you selected to save the file and right click on the file; select to burn disk image and follow the prompts. Use the DVD to try the update.

If your system does not have a built in DVD burner you may be stuck. Isn't this a laptop that is a basic net-book? In any case the best I can offer if there is no internal DVD drive is to remove all USB devices and then plug just one back in that contains the update. This could be totally tedious as you would have to try another USB port if one fails until you have tried all ports. If all ports fail with one device you would have to go through the whole thing again with another device.

Personally I want to advise to ignore until things work out but, if memory serves, you are already a version behind which raises security issues.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sigh, even old memory restores itself at times. You had this same issue trying to upgrade from Windows 10 version 1709 to version 1809.

The issue is how your main board and BIOS sees your drives. This is actually the fault of the computer builder, not Microsoft. Does your computer have a built in DVD burner? If so use the creation tool mentioned before to create an ISO file then go to where you selected to save the file and right click on the file; select to burn disk image and follow the prompts. Use the DVD to try the update.

If your system does not have a built in DVD burner you may be stuck. Isn't this a laptop that is a basic net-book? In any case the best I can offer if there is no internal DVD drive is to remove all USB devices and then plug just one back in that contains the update. This could be totally tedious as you would have to try another USB port if one fails until you have tried all ports. If all ports fail with one device you would have to go through the whole thing again with another device.

Personally I want to advise to ignore until things work out but, if memory serves, you are already a version behind which raises security issues.

Do you think that it would be possible to format the existing hard drive and buy a new Windows 10 Pro Disk and upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:05 am 

Of course it is possible but you may find yourself with the same issue you have now with the updates.

I can see another possibility. Use the Media Creation Tool to make a USB install of the update but don't run. Make a folder on your hard drive called whatever you want and copy everything from the flash drive to this folder. Disconnect ALL USB devices and run the 'setup' program from the hard drive folder.

If you try the above make sure to enable the viewing of hidden files/folders before copying from the flash drive to the hard drive folder.

Also, if I'm correct that this involves a bi-annual feature update, you will have the option during the process as to what to keep. Make sure to keep all data and apps.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 am 
welcoming committee

The hardware issue may have nothing to do with the USB. It could be related to the CPU or some other piece of hardware on the machine. Try the Update now button from the link above that you downloaded the tool from and see if you get the same error.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Just to be clear on the steps you are taking to do the update. Your USB drive must be a bootable drive and you must be booting from it. You may have to "interrupt" the boot process to direct the BIOS to boot from the USB drive.
Is that what you are doing: booting from the USB? You can not run this from the normal system boot.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:31 pm 

BillG wrote:
Just to be clear on the steps you are taking to do the update. Your USB drive must be a bootable drive and you must be booting from it. You may have to "interrupt" the boot process to direct the BIOS to boot from the USB drive.
Is that what you are doing: booting from the USB? You can not run this from the normal system boot.

Personally I have never booted from install media to do these feature updates. I've launched from within Windows.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:16 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I can see another possibility. Use the Media Creation Tool to make a USB install of the update but don't run. Make a folder on your hard drive called whatever you want and copy everything from the flash drive to this folder. Disconnect ALL USB devices and run the 'setup' program from the hard drive folder.

If you try the above make sure to enable the viewing of hidden files/folders before copying from the flash drive to the hard drive folder.

Tried this Jay and got a single error message that said the following: "Windows 10 Installation Failed." One last thought and then I am done.......maybe I can set it up to do the Update in the middle of the night when I am in bed asleep. Do you know if it will update in "sleep mode"?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:35 pm 

You would need to disable sleep mode.

I believe that you had this same issue last fall when trying to do a feature update. It is possible that your system is just plain not able to update past the the version you are using. Actually that is pretty much what the message you stated above said.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would need to disable sleep mode.

I believe that you had this same issue last fall when trying to do a feature update. It is possible that your system is just plain not able to update past the the version you are using. Actually that is pretty much what the message you stated above said.

New Problem ......it wont boot up at all now. It said something is missing. It didn't say what was missing, just that it wont boot without it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
BillG wrote:

Personally I have never booted from install media to do these feature updates. I've launched from within Windows.

I thought that at this point you were trying to create a Windows copy with the update (ISO) as an install of the version you want. That is what I do when confronted with a long standing problem like this one is. What I have seen is that even this can sometimes install then uninstall back. Specific message something like: Something is missing, which necessitates the install, rather than an update.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:33 pm 

BillG just may have it but try the following first as your system has gone from booting to not booting.

Remove all power including battery if possible. Press the power button a few times then connect power again.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:55 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
BillG just may have it but try the following first as your system has gone from booting to not booting.

Remove all power including battery if possible. Press the power button a few times then connect power again.

I put the Windows 10 Disk in the DVD Player and it went through a series of reboots, 3 I think, and when it was all done, Windows 10 Home was back on my screen. Version 1709. It went through the update process, still unable to update to a later version and it ended up removing the update and going back to version 1709. So, now I'm back to trying to figure out a way to get around the updates.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 am 
welcoming committee

The only way I know of to get out of this is to download an install ISO to a DVD or USB and boot from that. The link to that is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:29 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Yes, it does sound that way -- which is rather dumb, unfortunately. There are a few reasons that the latest update can't be installed yet, but the biggest is that an attached USB drive might have it's drive letter changed after the update, so Microsoft has chosen to work on a fix before releasing to PCs with a USB drive attached.

Steve, I have four USB drives attached to my Win 10 system. And I am getting the following message, which I have never gotten before regarding an update. Do you think the attached drives might be my problem? Since Microsoft hasn't given me any instructions for making my system compatible and ready, I assume they are working the problem from their end. Does that sound reasonable?

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Yes, BB. My desktop and my Surface Pro both have connected external USB drives and both display that message.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

BillG wrote:
The only way I know of to get out of this is to download an install ISO to a DVD or USB and boot from that. The link to that is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

My computer is back to normal now. I need a way to stop the updates. I cannot turn it off without it going into this stupid 2 hour update mode that does not work. MS has had 2 years to fix this and even if I could get to the latest version, there is probably no provision to shut the updates off. If there is a way to do it, please tell me how.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:06 pm 

Without going back through everything I believe that you are running Windows 10 Home. With the Pro version you have more that you can do with updates. The problem is that the Home edition does not have full access to what is called Group Policies so you need a tool to make changes for you. I found the following tool, Wu10Man.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-enable-disable-windows-update-automatic-updates-windows-10-a.html

I download and tested and it seems safe passing security scans and I did not see any bundled add-on packages. This is supposed to work on the Home edition but I cannot verify as all my systems run Pro. Instructions are included in the link. What you would want is listed as 'Option One'.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Try this to shutdown without doing updates:

https://www.howtogeek.com/268982/how-to-shut-down-a-windows-pc-without-installing-updates/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm 

dvair wrote:

Thanks David. :) I'd prefer your forced shutdown solution over what I offered but see a possible issue... Same is possible with my offer... The hope, in either case, would be that version 1709 is before Microsoft prevents this type of control.

howtogeek wrote:
Update: Unfortunately, it looks like Microsoft has closed these loopholes. We’ll update this post if we find another method, but for right now, it looks like this is no longer possible.

This has been my concern as to where systems are going. I pay money to buy/build a system and all of a sudden the supplier of the OS decides that they have the right to control how it is used/operates. It isn't just Microsoft on this. Yes, I know, I agreed to the EULA (End User License Agreement) but still... The owner of the computer should have the right to decide how it is setup. Shoot, if I'm not mistaken, part of the Windows 10 EULA is that, no matter the personal loss, you agree to not join any type of class action.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows