Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 pm 
welcoming committee

I just want to ask one more question and then will pause for a while because there are so many things to follow up on I'm afraid I'm going to miss something.

I noticed Win10 doesn't have Notepad or Wordpad anymore and there is a folder for Documents but I haven't downloaded the Office 365 yet..... is there any program I could download free to use until I get a Word program? I need something to paste a snipping tool copy temporarily, to eventually create an image or post to Computer Haven or even to print. So far all I could do was paste to a new email.

Thanks for help with this and everything!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Windows 10 has both Wordpad and Notepad. Go to Start then scroll down to Windows Accessories and open. You will find both.

As an alternative to Word look at Libre Office, it is free and compatible with Microsoft Office files. You may actually find that you don't need Microsoft Office.
https://www.libreoffice.org/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Windows 10 has both Wordpad and Notepad. Go to Start then scroll down to Windows Accessories and open. You will find both. Thanks a bunch Jay! I never even thought to look there.

As an alternative to Word look at Libre Office, it is free and compatible with Microsoft Office files. You may actually find that you don't need Microsoft Office.
https://www.libreoffice.org/
I will check Libre Office, thanks!!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Is Libre Office the suite that also contains Excel?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:00 pm 

Yes, it includes Excel but is called Calc.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:29 pm 
welcoming committee

I am having to retype this because I guess I was logged out and didn't know it but.....

Is it possible for me to enter a dollar and cents amount in Calc where I would NOT need to enter a decimal? Also, that these figures automatically calculate and update in the total? I have copied my existing excel page into Calc so the formatting carried over but in calc when I enter 12.53 without the decimal, the entry becomes 1253.

I've tried using right click on the cell to set this up but could not find which option to set it up so when I enter just the number, the decimal automatically enters as well.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks, katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:42 pm 

katy98 wrote:
I am having to retype this because I guess I was logged out and didn't know it but.....

Is it possible for me to enter a dollar and cents amount in Calc where I would NOT need to enter a decimal? Also, that these figures automatically calculate and update in the total? I have copied my existing excel page into Calc so the formatting carried over but in calc when I enter 12.53 without the decimal, the entry becomes 1253.

I've tried using right click on the cell to set this up but could not find which option to set it up so when I enter just the number, the decimal automatically enters as well.

As to the auto decimal point I doubt it. Unless I'm missing something I think it would cause issues. If there were to be an auto decimal 2 places from the right and I entered $100 it would be seen as $1.00. It seems to me that this would cause a lot of issues.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't use Calc, but in Excel you can right click on any cell, column or row and a menu will pop up. One of the selections on that menu is "Format Cells". That's where you can make your selection for Currency, and the default will be for two decimal places.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes Barry that is exactly right. In Excel I could do that, format a cell either with a right click or using the options I believe under tools. But in Calc while it looks almost 100% like Excel, the format # doesn't seem to offer an option for 'cents'.

That's why I thought I would write and hope to be able to explain this simple format but this Calc doesn't offer it. It almost looks like its based on a foreign language where cents don't apply.

My only option right now is to enter the decimal myself which I will do because I have no option but it'll be a trick to remember to do that and un-remember what Excel accepted. Other than this issue, everything in Calc seemed to mimic Excel for all that I needed.

I still think there has to be a way, if Calc was designed to mimic Excel, why would they not include that but meantime I'll just get used to adding the decimal. I just thought I was maybe missing something so thanks for the imput :).

So far I really like Client and all that comes with it. But I do love a challenge!! :) :) :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:32 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
katy98 wrote:

As to the auto decimal point I doubt it. Unless I'm missing something I think it would cause issues. If there were to be an auto decimal 2 places from the right and I entered $100 it would be seen as $1.00. It seems to me that this would cause a lot of issues.

and that is what I thought too Jay, if it's not in the standard design, it would cause an issue. but my only option is to add it and see how it affects the calculated total.

- Barbara Corcoran

Last edited by katy98 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:22 am 
welcoming committee

OK, Katy. I cranked up my older Win 10 computer where I have LibreOffice installed. I then went to Calc, and I found that it offers the same formatting options as Excel, including several ways to get to 'cents', i.e. two decimals.

Just like in Excel you can right click on any cell, column or row and a menu will pop up. One of the selections on that menu is "Format Cells". That's where you can make your Category selection as Currency, and the default will be for two decimal places. Or you can make your Category selection as Number, and then under Format select the format having two decimals.

So I am not sure what you are doing such that you can't get two decimals when you enter a number. Perhaps if you delineated the exact steps you tried when your right-clicked and selected "Format Cells" from the drop down menu, I could be of more help.

BTW, when you use the light green as your text color option, it is extremely difficult to read. I would recommend using a darker color.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes Barry what you mentioned you did with right click choose format cell etc I have tried, even as far as right clicking the current excel sheet cell to see which format IT used but I think I remember going through when first using Excel to find the format that if I enter 1258 + tab to next cell, the # would come up 12.58 without putting the decimal in myself. But instead it comes up 1258.

I am using Number category, format is the 3rd offered from top (-1234.57), which uses 2 decimal places and leading zeros 1= format code 0.00. I don't want the symbol $ so didn't choose currency for that reason.

I wouldn't want us to work on this forever so if the solution doesn't easily come to mind, I'll just get used to entering the decimal for each entry. Thanks Barry!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:40 pm 

I split these posts from the original thread as they are about a totally different topic. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
Yes Barry what you mentioned you did with right click choose format cell etc I have tried, even as far as right clicking the current excel sheet cell to see which format IT used but I think I remember going through when first using Excel to find the format that if I enter 1258 + tab to next cell, the # would come up 12.58 without putting the decimal in myself. But instead it comes up 1258.
Katy, I'm thinking maybe you are remembering wrong. Even if you have formatted a cell to be decimal, you must show where you want the decimal. For example, if you enter 12 it will show 12.00. If you enter 12.1, it will show 12.10. But if you simply enter 1258, it will show 1258.00. Else how would Excel (or Calc) know that you meant 12.58 and not 1258.00?
I am using Number category, format is the 3rd offered from top (-1234.57), which uses 2 decimal places and leading zeros 1= format code 0.00. I don't want the symbol $ so didn't choose currency for that reason.
I understand why you don't use currency....I don't like the $ symbol either.
I wouldn't want us to work on this forever so if the solution doesn't easily come to mind, I'll just get used to entering the decimal for each entry.
I agree. But the solution you are wanting doesn't come to my mind, unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do.
Thanks Barry!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm 
welcoming committee

No you are understanding. Its just that when I use Excel I enter the 1258 and it does seem to know I just want the decimal 2 characters from the end for some reason. The cell format appears to be identical in Excel as I'm setting up in Calc; I didn't add any additional info somewhere else so it would know what I want. Maybe this will work out in Calc like it did in Excel...... eventually :).

Thanks a bunch for working with me on this!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I split these posts from the original thread as they are about a totally different topic. :)

Gotcha! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Katy, so what you are saying is that in your Excel, when you enter 1258 then it appears as 12.58?

And if you entered 100, will it appear as 1.00?

And if you entered 10 will it appear as 0.10?

Then what happens when you really want to enter one-hundred (i.e., 100)?

Just curious.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm 

I don't seem to be able to duplicate in Excel. I wonder if what was being done might not be through a macro... I don't recall ever setting up a macro in Excel but imagine the logic would be such as the following. LOL! This is in English, not macro syntax. ;)
If cell value is numeric and the third position from the right does not equal '.' then divide by 100.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Could be a macro. I never wrote micros for Excel, but I wrote many for Lotus123. And yes, I still use Lotus because I still use some of the financial spreadsheets I developed years (and years) ago.

So could it be a macro, Katy? Did you previously use macros in your Excel spreadsheets?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:39 pm 

Actually I just found it in Excel. I can't say if it is in Calc or, if it is, where to look, but I'd initially try to follow the same path as in Excel.

Remember that this is in Excel. It is quite likely also in Calc but I can't give precise instructions. As a note, in Excel, you need to have at least one cell filled before you can get to the options.

1) Set the column/s (or entire sheet) that hold the desired numbers and set to number with 2 decimal places.

2) Go to Options then Advanced and look for a setting along the line of "Automatically insert a decimal point"; that is what it is called in Excel. Enable this setting.

3) Set "Places:" to 2.

4) Click "OK".

Attachment:
excel.png
excel.png [ 54.34 KiB | Viewed 6473 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm 

As a note I did a quick install of Libre Office and don't see the matching setting. It may be there but I don't see it. I really don't think that the option is there as I see no reference to to it on searches where it was an easy find for Excel.

Even though Libre is awesome it is not an exact remake of Office, there are differences. Hey, the difference between $100.00/year and free. ;)

I DO have the same question as BB. If you wanted your display to actually show 100, or 100.00, would you need to enter 10000? If that is the case I would think that it would be less key strokes to just enter the decimal point when needed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay - Great detective work. That's an option I never used and didn't even know it existed. But again, I told myself 18 years ago that the Microsoft Office Suite had so many capabilities that I knew I would never learn to use them all.

@Katy - You have obviously used this option in past spreadsheets, so could you please share with us the circumstances where this option was so useful? Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:17 pm 

One has to remember that Libre Office will not have every settings option that is in Microsoft Office. Then again it must be remembered that Libre will have options not included in Microsoft Office.

It is all about compromise. Can one deal with what is missing from MS Office in relation to Libre? In my case the answer is no just due to appearance in Excel verses Calc. My main system is designed for games and media. Calc does not allow for a background image on a sheet yet Excel does. Since it is a media system I want everything 'pretty' so go with Excel so I can have a gradient background on the page. This is in relation to my movie library sheet. Even though the movie sheet works fine in Calc it just isn't pretty. Even though I use an older version of Excel it is safe as I never download sheets, I make my own which are totally local.

Most differences between Excel and Calc will deal with appearance. The following images are of the same sheet in Excel and Calc, Excel is first. It is obvious that Excel is able to do the 'pretty' while Calc is basic as to appearance. A large part of the difference between Excel and Calc is appearance.

Katy, only you can decide which is best for you. It boils down to if you want to pay money to have the decimal point inserted or insert yourself for free...

Katy, the only use I've found for what you want is for true accounting packages. Is this a case where you are/were an accountant and is just what you are used to?

Attachment:
movies1.png
movies1.png [ 50.58 KiB | Viewed 6458 times ]

Attachment:
movies2.png
movies2.png [ 32.98 KiB | Viewed 6458 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 am 
welcoming committee

Katy, I did some more research and found out the automatic insertion of a decimal point is something commonly done in real accounting software and on real accounting calculators.

Excel has this accounting decimal point capability, but Calc currently does not.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
@Jay - Great detective work. That's an option I never used and didn't even know it existed. But again, I told myself 18 years ago that the Microsoft Office Suite had so many capabilities that I knew I would never learn to use them all.

@Katy - You have obviously used this option in past spreadsheets, so could you please share with us the circumstances where this option was so useful? Thanks.

In Excel, its been quite a while since I successfully set the cell format that I was using so I am unable to say for sure. I think I'll just enter the decimal with each amount and then I'll have what I need. Without being able to snipping tool copy/paste, its not possible to explain but if down the road things work on in Calc, I'll make an image so I can attach it into the post. Thanks for checking where you checked and now I'm working on importing Outlook emails (see below).

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)