Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

could someone let me know, is it safe to try for free first the Office 365? Is it still possible to move my saved files to this try me version?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
katy98 wrote:
could someone let me know, is it safe to try for free first the Office 365? Is it still possible to move my saved files to this try me version?

Nothing wrong with trying the trial of Office 365. If you decide to remove it will not affect files you have saved but you would then need something in to which to load these files.

As a free option to Office you might want to, also, look at Libre Office which is totally free.
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
Libre Office is open source which means that it is free. Saved files from Office are compatible with Libre Office and Libre Office can save files in Microsoft format. The Libre Office suite includes Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).

Write equates to Microsoft Office Word.
Calc equates to Microsoft Excel.
Impress equates to Office PowerPoint.
Base equates to Microsoft Office Access.
Neither Draw nor Math have a relation to Microsoft Office.
Libre Office does not offer an email client such as Microsoft Office Outlook.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
katy98 wrote:

Nothing wrong with trying the trial of Office 365. If you decide to remove it will not affect files you have saved but you would then need something in to which to load these files.

As a free option to Office you might want to, also, look at Libre Office which is totally free.
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
Libre Office is open source which means that it is free. Saved files from Office are compatible with Libre Office and Libre Office can save files in Microsoft format. The Libre Office suite includes Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).
jaylach wrote:

Write equates to Microsoft Office Word.
Calc equates to Microsoft Excel.
Impress equates to Office PowerPoint.
Base equates to Microsoft Office Access.
Neither Draw nor Math have a relation to Microsoft Office.
Libre Office does not offer an email client such as Microsoft Office Outlook.

You had my attention until this Outlook lack :(. I count a LOT on Outlook and I've not been able to use the email portion for about a month now just because I changed the password but I still can't live w/o it.

A lot to think about!!! But if I can play with the Trial version that is the whole version so I get a good idea what I'm getting into with the changes, at least I'll be more informed. A good month of a trial would give me good info. Thanks so much Jay for the great info!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 pm 

How many email accounts do you have? If only 1 or 2 eM Client is free.
https://www.emclient.com/
If you need to access more than 2 email accounts the Pro version is a one time $50.00 charge. Both bbarry and myself use the Pro version of eM Client. I'll let bbarry give his opinion if he wishes but I have Microsoft Office Outlook and choose to use eM Client instead.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

In Outlook, I use 1 email account. But what I use it for mainly is for breaking down all the folders where I put the emails. One even contains critical info and I looked back and found some info is from 2003, that's pretty extensive. I've got 2+ full yrs of calendars which I use to remind me of craft fairs from previous years so archive calendars is important, as well as birthdays, etc.is
Its a pretty extensive memory bank for me. I sure hope the new version of Outlook hasn't changed like I've seen other changes. But I really don't think $99 is too bad for a yr, I could even go to monthly if I want after that.

Also, my Excel has kept track of my budget for 10+ yrs and other financial info, all very critical and if I can keep at least the basic semblance of how they all still operate, it's better for my peace of mind and stress level.

One big question not related to the topic, sometimes when I stop typing to think, the cursor jumps to another part of the page or sometimes can't even find it, this happens with other laptops too lately, seems to happen after an update but I could never tell you which one. Is this something you've heard of and if it has to do with touch pad vs mouse, I always use a mouse. It seemed to begin happening when I had to use online Gmail for email and it was really bad there and its carried over to other site/programs where I type.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

PS I just took at look at emClient videos and it looks really nice, so similar to Outlook view. Do you think my existing .pst files and calendars could be flawlessly integrated into this emClient? (not sure if .pst is the right terminology but am referring to existing Outlook emails and calendars I've copied the folder of to an external drive, that I'd want to just move either to the Win10 folder the User folder or the contents of it)?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Katy, as Jay mentioned, I also use eM Client and I really like it. I was never a big fan of Outlook, so I used Windows Live Mail for many years until I got nervous that Microsoft no longer supported it. I switched to eM Client last year and never looked back.

You talk about an extensive memory bank, I also have saved emails going back to 2003! Although I did a little cleanup before I migrated to eM Client, all of my remaining emails smoothly imported to eM Client. And like you, I have my saved emails organized into folders, and my folders also transitioned smoothly (approx 60 folders).

Now, I have another calendar program that I have used for years, and it serves as my memory bank on when I did what. So I never used the calendar capabilities of Windows Live Mail or eM Client. I'm just too old to change calendars, lol.

I use Microsoft Office for Home & Student 2016, that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint & OneNote (but not Outlook)......I think I paid a one-time price of around $149 for it a year or so ago. I introduced two friends to the free Libre Office suite that Jay mentioned, and both really like it. Their Excel spreadsheets and Word documents were readily usable within Libre Office. Also, I have Libre Office installed on a 2nd/older Windows 10 computer that I have, but I just don't use that computer much.

Good luck on your new laptop and software decisions. And I truly think you will like eM Client; plus, both Jay and I will be here to help you with that program.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

katy98 wrote:
PS I just took at look at emClient videos and it looks really nice, so similar to Outlook view. Do you think my existing .pst files and calendars could be flawlessly integrated into this emClient? (not sure if .pst is the right terminology but am referring to existing Outlook emails and calendars I've copied the folder of to an external drive, that I'd want to just move either to the Win10 folder the User folder or the contents of it)?

It seems that you can seamlessly import everything from an Outlook .pst (personal folders) file into emClient:
https://www.bitrecover.com/blog/outlook-to-em-client/

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

katy98 wrote:
One big question not related to the topic, sometimes when I stop typing to think, the cursor jumps to another part of the page or sometimes can't even find it, this happens with other laptops too lately, seems to happen after an update but I could never tell you which one. Is this something you've heard of and if it has to do with touch pad vs mouse, I always use a mouse. It seemed to begin happening when I had to use online Gmail for email and it was really bad there and its carried over to other site/programs where I type.

Is it possible that you are touching the touchpad (even brushing against it with your wrist, lightly...)while typing? You may be able to disable the touchpad since you are using a mouse...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 pm 

sboots wrote:
katy98 wrote:

Is it possible that you are touching the touchpad (even brushing against it with your wrist, lightly...)while typing? You may be able to disable the touchpad since you are using a mouse...

My Asus laptop is pretty old but yours MAY still have the same feature. On mine, in the BIOS, I can conditionally disable the touch pad. If a mouse is connected to the system the touch pad is disabled. If there is no mouse connected then the touch pad is enabled.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 am 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
You talk about an extensive memory bank, I also have saved emails going back to 2003! Although I did a little cleanup before I migrated to eM Client, all of my remaining emails smoothly imported to eM Client. And like you, I have my saved emails organized into folders, and my folders also transitioned smoothly (approx 60 folders).

Everything I've seen here about eM Client sounds great and that it is free makes it possible for me to try before buying MS if need be but does eM Client import from say Gmail all new emails?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
A local account is a good choice, but you lose the benefits of synchronization between devices (when using the same Microsoft Account) and a few others. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... t-benifits (note that this is an older article, so Xbox Music service no longer applies)

If you have a Gmail account, you can use that as the Microsoft Account, but you will need to designate it as one. The password is *not* the same as your Gmail password, though it can be.
https://www.techbout.com/create-microso ... -10-30152/

I may then be able to use my Gmail account to satisfy MS since I never synchronize anything; also don't use Cloud either. I am being asked to go back to finish the "Asus HELLO" so I need to add something but haven't tried using the Gmail login so will see. Not sure how I will need to "designate" but will see I guess.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Everything I've seen here about eM Client sounds great and that it is free makes it possible for me to try before buying MS if need be but does eM Client import from say Gmail all new emails?

Katy, I'm not sure what you are asking. eM Client should import all of your existing emails. And then you can configure eM Client to be your email program by setting up your email account within eM Client; thereafter all your new emails should come to the Inbox of eM Client. After reading each new email, you can decide whether to Delete it or Move it to a specified folder.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am 

I've just done a reply and after sending it, it disappeared and there was another post from Katy.
Anyway first it was to say I can't remember if it's in the properties of the mouse or the touchpad but on the Asus you can click a button that tells the touchpad to be inactive when a mouse is plugged in, when you remove the mouse the touchpad becomes active again.

Also when you were talking about the Snipping Tool, I use that on a regular basis and have it pinned to the taskbar. When you click on it now in Windows 10 the box comes up as usual but it now has a message telling you it is moving in the future through an update and you can try it out if you want, it will be called Snip & Sketch, I've not tried it out but still just click the New button at the top as normal and snip whichever section I want.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I've just done a reply and after sending it, it disappeared and there was another post from Katy.
Anyway first it was to say I can't remember if it's in the properties of the mouse or the touchpad but on the Asus you can click a button that tells the touchpad to be inactive when a mouse is plugged in, when you remove the mouse the touchpad becomes active again. I did some searching online and in one place it stated that on one version of Asus using the F9 key, it would disable the touchpad. I did that but haven't tested it yet like here in CH. If there is more info on the F9 key disabling the touchpad, I'd all ears. So far, like typing this, the cursor hasn't jumped around but if I pause to think, I don't see the cursor so I click where I'm typing to make sure it 'continues' to type there.

Also when you were talking about the Snipping Tool, I use that on a regular basis and have it pinned to the taskbar. When you click on it now in Windows 10 the box comes up as usual but it now has a message telling you it is moving in the future through an update and you can try it out if you want, it will be called Snip & Sketch, I've not tried it out but still just click the New button at the top as normal and snip whichever section I want.
I use the Snipping Tool a lot but I don't think sketching on or with it is something that would help me. So its just to enhance something that Snipping Tool make a pic of and sketching wouldn't help that. But thanks for the thought. :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
katy98 wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Katy, I'm not sure what you are asking. eM Client should import all of your existing emails. That is what I was wondering, if eM Client would bring into my eM Client the emails from Gmail so that answers the question :). [color=#BF0040]Also, wanted to mention, while the cursor doesn't jump around out of the blue, it does jump somewhere else if/when I pause typing, no palm touching touchpad (or at least that I know of). I do wonder how long pausing touchpad using F9 is sustainable when I'm done typing and close lid which is like hibernating or if I need to touch F9 everytime. I just don't have much info on F9 touchpad pause. [/color] And then you can configure eM Client to be your email program by setting up your email account win eM Client; thereafter all your new emails should come to the Inbox of eM Client. After reading each new email, you can decide whether to Delete it or Move it to a specified folder.

Hopefully this answers your question.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: I just remembered something, while reading on F9 to disable touchpad, I also read that by hitting Ctrl key, it would show the user where the cursor was. That is something I haven't tried yet but it would help me when I'm using the F9 disable but still lose the cursor. But this also tells me that this is a known issue otherwise why program a writing pad to use Ctrl to find cursor if its not being lost by other people.

I've seen this problem with the cursor on other laptops within last 10 yrs when I initially began using the new laptop and usually new mouse and all the mice I used are Logitech. I can't remember what I tried to help avoid it but eventually the issue went away. Just now, at the end of 'away' the cursor jumped to the end of the 'w' in away so because I paused typing, the cursor jumped there. And I am purposely watching and my palm is 1" off the keyboard, only my fingers are close. This may be hard to believe but I want to see how the future goes with this. it just may clear up again, maybe after a pattern of typing settles it down but using the F9 key has seemed to help a little.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

One explanation to why there is the option to hit Ctrl key to see cursor could be due to the option in Control Panel under Mouse under Pointer Options to 'hide pointer while typing' which then would make sense that someone who chose this may sometimes want to see the pointer, just not all the time. I found that last nite that I hadn't seen earlier so I may have been wrong in assuming that this could have been a known issue. I just have a feeling this could eventually clear itself up so I'll concentrate on eClient. Thanks all for listening and mostly helping!!!!!!!!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm 
welcoming committee

So sorry, could you please delete the above question on eClient and eMClient, I want to remove it as I want eMClient no matter what the difference. Thanks katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:06 pm 

katy98 wrote:
So sorry, could you please delete the above question on eClient and eMClient, I want to remove it as I want eMClient no matter what the difference. Thanks katy

I deleted the post for you but you could have done on your own.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
katy98 wrote:

I deleted the post for you but you could have done on your own.

Thanks for doing this Jay! I've looked again and again even in Edit and couldn't find where I could remove or delete the entire post, just 'Delete all board cookies'. I bet it's someplace obvious and I'm just not seeing it :)!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Katy, look in lower right-hand corner, where it says Delete, Edit, Quote.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Yep, what BB said. ;) I just logged in as a normal user and it is there.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:23 pm 
welcoming committee

No rush, just wanted to know if there is a way to delete the 2013-2017 emails from eClient because as soon as I installed the eClient program, at the end of the download it began downloading ALL my gmail emails all the way back to 2013 and I thought gmail deleted old emails online. Anyway, what is the quickest way to delete all emails from 2018 and prior except for the saved emails I have put into specific folders in Outlook? I didn't ask eClient to import Outlook, this download just began probably based on my email address on gmail online.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Nothing 'normal' about you, Jay.

And that's a compliment. :cboy1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows