Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 am 
welcoming committee

First of all I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit V1809 that was freshly installed in March 2019 on a new Samsung EVO 970 Plus during my system hardware upgrade. This included a new ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac MoBo, Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVMe M.2 500 GB (System) & Samsung EVO 970 NVMe M.2 500 GB (Sys Backup), Intel Core i5 9600K CPU and Radeon RX 580 graphics.

My issue is the size of usage on my system drive C (Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVMe M.2) versus the bootable backup on drive E (EVO 970 NVMe M.2). As you can see in the pictures drive C is using 166 of 465 GB while drive E only uses 60 of 465 GB. Also, when I select all like shown in picture 2 and then show the properties for both drives C and E, their size in GBs is almost identical. I have Hidden Files visible to be able to select everything. So, where is the extra usage coming from on my drive C, over 100 GB worth of something? I just performed a disk clean-up and it didn't really do much. Something is eating up space and I'm having difficulty finding it. Thank you for your input.

Attachments:
File comment: By doing a "select all and show properties", this is how I was able to compare the data on both drives.
Sys C all selected.png
Sys C all selected.png [ 48.63 KiB | Viewed 5161 times ]
File comment: This shows a usage comparison of my System Drive C and my Backup Drive E.
Drives C-E properties.png
Drives C-E properties.png [ 196.82 KiB | Viewed 5161 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:21 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What software are you using for your backup?

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Casper version 10 for the bootable copy of System C

What puzzles me is that when all the folders are selected on their respective drives they total almost the same thing. The paging file on the system C drive is only 5 GB and it’s System Managed.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 pm 

Don't forget that there are also things like system restore and previous versions taking space on your system drive.

I use Acronis True Image for backup images but not bootable, just mountable. My images are usually about 50 GB smaller than the used space on my system drive.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Very hard to diagnose this without being able to navigate through the file system personally. Is the backup compressed or a direct file copy? One observation is that the file count of the backup drive is over 3,000 less than your system drive and the folder count is also lower, by about 1,000.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm 

sboots wrote:
Very hard to diagnose this without being able to navigate through the file system personally. Is the backup compressed or a direct file copy? One observation is that the file count of the backup drive is over 3,000 less than your system drive and the folder count is also lower, by about 1,000.

@ Steve: I also noticed the file number difference which is what made me think that System Restore and/or Previous Versions might be involved.

I think that the backup is actually a clone process as it is stated that the backup is bootable. I just have no idea as if a clone backup would include such things as system Restore unless it were to be turned on for that specific backup drive. Yes, a clone should include System Restore but what if Restore were to be turned off for the backup drive. To be honest I just don't know...

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 pm 
welcoming committee

The bootable backup hasn’t been been updated in a month. On the active System drive there are more windows updates and 12 restore points. That could account for the extra folders but 100 GBs more data...I’d be surprised. I won’t have time until Friday to dig into it more.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
The bootable backup hasn’t been been updated in a month. On the active System drive there are more windows updates and 12 restore points. That could account for the extra folders but 100 GBs more data...I’d be surprised. I won’t have time until Friday to dig into it more.

Hmmmm, haven't done a backup in a month...

Have you installed anything on the system drive? Windows Updates done and 12 restore points done since the last backup to the backup drive... I think that I could see a 100 GB difference as possible.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Except for the Windows updates there have been no new programs. That’s the reason for the long period of time from the last backup.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
Except for the Windows updates there have been no new programs. That’s the reason for the long period of time from the last backup.

But the downloads for the Windows Updates can take a lot of drive space. These downloaded Updates take drive space to store. A normal Drive Cleanup will not get rid of these unless you do a followup selecting to clean up system files. Combined with other possible, already posted, possibilities the Update files could also easily be a factor in the drive size difference.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I updated to Windows 10 V1903 yesterday. I created an ISO file to make hard disk, a bootable DVD. This worked very well and this will be a repair disk as well. Anyway to the point, after updating to the new version all the extra GB weight (extra data) was removed. My system drive is using 74 GB. The backup without the paging and boot files active is using 53 GB. This is so much more where I want these drives to be.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to read that the upgrade seems to have resolved the mystery space issue.
In line with your other post about the update, you may want to edit your sentence - "I created an ISO file to make hard disk." to read -- "I created an ISO file to make a bootable DVD."
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Glad to read that the upgrade seems to have resolved the mystery space issue.
In line with your other post about the update, you may want to edit your sentence - "I created an ISO file to make hard disk."to read -- "I created an ISO file to make a bootable DVD."
-steve

Technically it is a hard disc as opposed to a USB flash drive I didn’t say hard drive (HDD). Yes it was bootable.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Ritzter13 wrote:
I updated to Windows 10 V1903 yesterday. I created an ISO file to make hard disk. This worked very well and I have a repair disk as well. Anyway to the point, after updating to the new version all the extra GB weight (extra data) was removed. My system drive is using 74 GB. The backup with out the paging and boot files active is using 53 GB. This is so much more where I want these drives to be.

There is probably no Hibernation file included in the backup either so that would equal the amount of physical memory you have.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
Technically it is a hard disc as opposed to a USB flash drive I didn’t say hard drive (HDD). Yes it was bootable.

You are, of course, absolutely technically correct. :-D

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve I did go back and edit the previous post to clarify so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding. ;) :D

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
Steve I did go back and edit the previous post to clarify so there wouldn't be misunderstanding. ;) :D

(Took me a bit to find a thumbs up smiley in our forum smiley collection!)

:tup:

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows