Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:25 am 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
@ Steve & David & anyone else who has built their own website - what program did you use, or did you write your own HTML code? Just curious....thanks.

I've used a variety of editors. I have used various versions of FrontPage, Expression Web, and SharePoint Designer. I've also edited the HTML directly using Notepad. My current public facing site at https://www.sboots.com/ was built using the editor at the host, wix.com

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am 
welcoming committee

I used FrontPage, it's just a small family website. I don't even update it much anymore. Heck, I didn't even reinstall FrontPage last time I did a clean install of Windows 10.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hmmm, Of course I've used and still use Dreamweaver. I've also used Front Page and Expressions Web. As to free packages I've used NVU and KOMPOZER which are really the same thing. I've also used Arachnophilia and Notepad + along with Windows Notepad.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:42 pm 

bbarry wrote:
@ Steve & David & anyone else who has built their own website - what program did you use, or did you write your own HTML code? Just curious....thanks.

I just used a free site, Freewebs.com BB, I don't know anything about code etc. but I've had it so long I can't even remember just what I did.

I do know I was able to pick my own colour and style and only got it to have somewhere to keep a copy of my cross stitch projects, well some of them, I don't know if you can do videos as well as photos though. :)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks to all for your input. Most of you are well ahead of me (for now, lol). I bought Front Page back in 2003 and played around creating two websites, one of which was for when I hosted a Honda Gold Wing motorcycle rally in Arkansas. That is the one I still have, although some of the content appears to be missing (barrypatch.net). I'm like you, David.....I never even loaded Front Page on the two computers I currently have (Win 10 and Win 7).

Now I want to try and create another website to showcase some of my animal photos and videos taken by trail cameras I use around my property. I have an older copy of Dreamweaver 8, so I thought I would try using that. Since Jay also uses Dreamweaver, I figured I could get some help/guidance from him along the way (which I am definitely getting thus far).

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:36 pm 

BB, just something about Dreamweaver you may not have yet found. It actually helps you write code. It is intuitive and only puts up options that are proper for the previous parameter.

Attachment:
DW1.png
DW1.png [ 50.14 KiB | Viewed 5798 times ]

Attachment:
DW2.png
DW2.png [ 43.15 KiB | Viewed 5798 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that's good to know. But truth be told I am not that far along, as I have been mostly reading (I am slow). I did select the split view (code/design) so that I can see the generated code. To start, I am not going to try writing any code....just studying it as it is being generated. Later I may add some code, especially the code you provided for videos.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:47 pm 

Just keep in mind that it is still best to try a few editors and go with what you like. Shoot, I started my GIF Gallery with Arachnophobia then NVU/Kompozer. I went back and forth for ages between the two. I finally went to Dreamweaver but not because it did so much more than the free ones as to my purpose. I happened to get the entire Dreamweaver 8 Studio that included other components such as Fireworks, a graphics program, and a Flash editor. All were integrated and, at the time, the best available.

Just don't get locked into one specific editor due to someone else using or recommending. ;)

<edit> and way off topic notification!

I pulled out VERY old install CD's and they still work. :) I was looking for exactly what I had from the days of Dreamweaver 8 when Macromedia still did the stuff. I found a total GEM called Freehand 10. I had totally forgotten about the thing. While Freehand will do a lot the best that I liked was/is the ability to have text follow a pre-defined path. In the first image I just defined a circle and had text follow the path of the circle getting rid of the circle when done. In the second image I imported an image of a baseball then created a circle around the ball and told the text to follow the circle. Mayhaps I'm, we know I am, a bit odd but I REALLY like this kind of stuff. :mrgreen: Consider that, when I used this a lot, I was getting paid for doing web sites and clients would throw an image at me wanting text to go around the image. Freehand made it pretty easy. ;)
Attachment:
freehand 10-1.png
freehand 10-1.png [ 22.92 KiB | Viewed 5784 times ]

Attachment:
freehand 10-2.png
freehand 10-2.png [ 33.49 KiB | Viewed 5784 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I spent the better part of the last two days trying to work through a couple of Dreamweaver tutorials. Hate to say, but I was pretty overwhelmed....to the point of waving the white flag on Dreamweaver. :help3:

So I started looking at alternatives. I even explored maybe reinstalling my FrontPage 2003 (I found the original disk), since I don't remember it being that difficult. Of course my brain was 15 years younger back then, lol. I also took a hard look at Expressions Web and Kompozer.

I have pretty much decided on learning how to use Kompozer. But I have a few questions, primarily of Jay:
(1) In addition to animal photos, will I still be able to add some of the code required for my short animal videos?
(2) Can I import/use one of the many templates that you referenced?
(3) For my intended purposes, do you see any downside to Kompozer?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:00 pm 

It has been a REALLY long time since I've used NVU/Kompozer but there should be no issue as to your using. Like any of the others it is just an editor. Whatever you tell it to do it will as long as you stay within what it can do.

Look at any of these editors as a word processor. What you edit in Microsoft Word does not mean much until you print out the result. It is the same with an HTML editor, it means nothing until you put it on-line.

BB, it does not matter what HTML editor you use as to being able to use a template. The only restriction might be if you use a 'site builder' supplied by your hosting. All a template is is a basic setup as to appearance. A template is just code to make the site look a certain way. There is no restriction as to using a template with any specific editor.

Yes, you can use the video code I supplied within any template and/or editor. It is just code that can be used in any editor and hosting. It is part of the HTML5 standards. DO keep in mind that, if you copy/paste the code I supplied for videos, you WILL need to directly edit code to point to the 'videos folder' and the actual video's file name.

The only downside that I can see with your using Kompozer is that I won't be able to be of much help as to usage... Then again, you know me, I'd probably install to help resolve problems

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for your prompt response, Jay. And I appreciate that side of you.....installing software to help others. You certainly led me step-by-step when I installed Oracles' Virtual Box in order to run Windows XP in virtual mode.

But I hate to ask you to install Kompozer. Hopefully my questions/issues will be of a more general nature as regards websites, rather than specific 'how-to's' within Kompozer. So hold off installation unless I really get into trouble.

I am encouraged by your answers to my three questions, so I think I will install Kompozer in the morning and give it a go.

BTW, my internet research revealed that several people have had success installing/using FrontPage 2003 in Windows 10. But I am still going with Kompozer.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59 pm 

BB, right now, this is the best advice that I can offer.

1) Create a folder on your local hard drive named 'HTML' or anything that you want. Just make sure that this folder is for nothing but web site stuff.

2) Download and install FileZilla and set up according to your hosting specifications.

3) Use FileZilla to download everything within the hosting's 'public_html' folder to your local folder.

4) Just play and see what happens. If you want to look at a template download and extract to a folder with the template name and play. I can pretty much guarantee that, at first, you will toast the thing but try again. Sooner than you would think you will stop toasting the thing and start to see results. Trust me in that these are words of experience from my earlier days with web stuff.

Plug in the video display code I supplied and see what happens. Unless you use FileZilla to upload from your local storage to on-line what you do will not affect what is already on-line.

While playing with whatever HTML editor have Windows file explorer open to your local web stuff. Make a change in the HTML editor and save. Double click on the edited file in file explorer and your default web browser will open displaying the output. LOL! If you totally mess things up just use FileZilla to download everything again to restore your local files to what is on-line. The only issue is your connection speed. It is likely to take some time to transfer everything.

Regardless of what editor you chose do NOT set it up to edit files directly on your hosting. Do all edits locally and test before uploading with FileZilla. Just don't be afraid to experiment. If you don't experiment you will get nowhere.

Also keep in mind that I am fully willing to help. If you are trying to do something and can't get it to work just post the code and I'll do what I can. If you DO post code please use the full editor and use the code command from the text format options.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 am 
welcoming committee

I had already downloaded FileZilla but now need to learn how to use it. If I read your posting correctly, I should be able to download my current website from HostGator to my computer using Filezilla, and then play around with it with my web editor.

When I go into File Manager within the HostGator cPanel, here's what I see. So are you saying use FileZilla to download the public_html folder to my computer? I assume the FileZilla instructions will show me how to do that. And what is the public_ftp folder?
Attachment:
FileMgr2.JPG
FileMgr2.JPG [ 185.62 KiB | Viewed 5772 times ]

One more question. In your posting you stated that:
"While playing with whatever HTML editor have Windows file explorer open to your local web stuff. Make a change in the HTML editor and save. Double click on the edited file in file explorer and your default web browser will open displaying the output."
So if I double click on the edited file, my browser will open up the new output for me to view, but this in no way changes what is on my host server, i.e., it won't change my public_html folder until I use FileZilla to upload from my computer back to my host.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 pm 

Not really much to learn with FileZilla. You just set it up according to your hosting instructions and use it pretty much just like File Explorer in Windows.

I download the entire public_html folder but, with your slow connection speed, you can get away with just downloading the files actually associated with your site.

The public_ftp folder is just a folder that has been pre-setup for FTP transfers. To be honest I never use it for anything.

You can do anything that you want locally with zero effect on anything that is on your hosting.

<edit>
Ya know BB, since you have used it before and are familiar, you can always install Front Page and use. Just don't enable Front Page Extensions. I would also still use FileZilla for transfers instead of the built in Front Page transfer ability.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I had seriously thought about using FP 2003 (since I found my old CD), and I still may do that. However, yesterday I downloaded KompoZer and a couple of tutorials. So I thought I would first try using it to see how I like it. I would also have to relearn most of FP, 'cause it's been 15 years.

Ideally I would like two websites: (1) A resurrection/modification of my old FP site, and (2) The creation of a new site showing my animal photos/videos. That's why I was inquiring earlier about a subdomain for my 2nd site.

Thanks for your continuing helpful input....

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I finally got FrontPage 2003 installed. Come to find out, that disk was an upgrade to FP 2002, so I had to first go find that disk. During both installations I did receive an error message, which I ignored and installation continued. The error message said: "Error 1919: Error configuring ODBC data source: Visual FoxPro Database, ODBC error 13." It went on to say that it was looking for the file ...\system32\vpodbc.dll.

But after I ignored the message, installation was completed and FP 2003 was activated and then started. So I assume this Visual FoxPro Database is not something I need to worry about?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:59 pm 

I really don't know but would guess that it is part of a virtual server setup which you would not need. Basically you are probably missing some registry keys. It can probably be fixed by installing what is called MDAC but, unless you have issues, I would not worry about it.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:40 am 
welcoming committee

Well, I ran into what appears to be a major snag trying to use FrontPage on my HostGator server. HostGator did migrate my GL1800 website, although some content was missing. However, everything worked, including my custom links. So then I found my old files containing all the content and tried to upload these. That's when I got the error message that either FrontPage Server Extensions or Sharepoint Services would be required. At that point I went to the HostGator Knowledge Base and found this:
https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... -supported

Any suggestions? Am I dead in the water with FrontPage?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 am 

Don't use Front Page to do file transfers to/from your hosting. Use FileZilla.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:15 pm 
welcoming committee

My website contains 6 pages (Home, Hotel Info, Attendees, etc). I thought this site used custom link bars to go from one page to another. The HostGator reference said these links weren't supported, which I would think would really destroy the flow of my site. Am I missing something? Will FileZilla help me here?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:35 pm 

I just went to your site and all links work so I don't see a problem there. Looking at the code the links are using Front Page specific code to change the link appearance when hovered but it seems to work fine. I trust that, if I now go to http://barrypatch.net, I am going to HostGater not the old hosting. You are using individual links, not link bars if I interpret link bars correctly. Go to the site yourself and see if anything is broken.

FileZilla does nothing as to code. It just transfers files back and forth. Looking at the list of disabled features in the article you linked file upload is one of the features in Front Page is not supported therefore use FileZilla instead of Front Page for file transfers.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I just went to your site and all links work so I don't see a problem there. Looking at the code the links are using Front Page specific code to change the link appearance when hovered but it seems to work fine. I trust that, if I now go to http://barrypatch.net, I am going to HostGater not the old hosting. You are using individual links, not link bars if I interpret link bars correctly. Go to the site yourself and see if anything is broken.
Yes, barrypatch.net is now going to HostGator. The links were not broken....the only thing I see wrong is some missing content, which I finally located on my computer and now wanted to upload. I'll admit, I do get a little confused re links, link bars, hyperlinks.

FileZilla does nothing as to code. It just transfers files back and forth. Looking at the list of disabled features in the article you linked file upload is one of the features in Front Page is not supported therefore use FileZilla instead of Front Page for file transfers.
Yea, I saw that about file upload after I tried it. I thought I was OK since I was avoiding FP Extensions, but I guess not. OK, FileZilla is onboard and I finally found a good/concise guide for how to use it, so that's what I will try after my nap (young guys like you probably don't need naps, but I've been up since 4am because of raccoons fighting out in my back yard....it's mating season).

One more question if/when you have a chance. My current website on HostGator is missing some content (e.g, data on the page showing Prize Contributors, some text on the Home page, etc.). But if I open this website within FrontPage on my computer, it is complete. So I want to upload all of it to HostGator. If I do this properly, won't this upload then replace the public_html folder currently residing on HostGator, such that I end up with a website now showing all content?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

Do NOT overwrite public_html! In FileZilla you will double click on phblic_html to open then upload your files to the opened public_html. You'll see once you get going. Your local files will be in the left pane and the hosting will be in the right pane. Just think of it as a double pane Windows File Explorer. You never want to actually replace the public_html folder as there are probably other things in there other than your site files.

Personally I'd create a new folder within public_html called backup and move all the site files on the hosting to that folder to be safe then upload all the files from your local system to public_html. If you do this make sure to just move your actual site files.

Here is a peek at what I mean by double pane and FileZilla.

Attachment:
filezilla1.png
filezilla1.png [ 111.26 KiB | Viewed 5706 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

When you say "make sure to just move your actual site files", you mean all those files/folders under public_html, is that correct? In other words, what I see when I click to open public_html?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:50 pm 

bbarry wrote:
When you say "make sure to just move your actual site files", you mean all those files/folders under public_html, is that correct? In other words, what I see when I click to open public_html?

If you mean by move my suggestion of moving to a folder named backup, no. Not everything in public_html, just the files/folders directly involved with your site such as index.html. You will probably see stuff like bin, cgi-bin, .htacces and a lot more. Leave such alone, just move your actual site files.

By the way, when you are ready to set up FileZilla look for an option to download an XML file to automatically setup FileZilla, it is probably there. Look at the following images.

Attachment:
ftp1.png
ftp1.png [ 65.73 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Attachment:
ftp2.png
ftp2.png [ 36.01 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Attachment:
ftp3.png
ftp3.png [ 37.65 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Attachment:
ftp4.png
ftp4.png [ 41.09 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Attachment:
ftp5.png
ftp5.png [ 69.87 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Attachment:
ftp6.png
ftp6.png [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 5697 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email