Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Glad to read that you don't need FrontPage Extensions. When you unzipped the original file downloaded from your current host the original zip file should still be there, but redownloading is certainly not a major issue unless your zip file ends up being really large -- which I suspect is not the case.
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, I want to now build another simple website. What program would you recommend for doing this? I prefer free and no ads. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
BB, the following link is a list of some of the better free editors. Microsoft Expression Web 4 is the successor to Front Page.

https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best ... r-windows/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:45 pm 

Arachnophilia is another excellent free offering that I used to use years ago. The only problem with this is that it requires JAVA to be installed.

https://arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I will look into those. I remember a year or so ago you mentioned a good web builder, but I can't remember the name of it.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:43 pm 

I was probably talking about Dreamweaver which I use. I have the last version put out by Macromedia, the original authors, Dreamweaver 8. It was then bought by Adobe and is VERY far from free. The old version still serves my purposes fine and, since I don't care for Adobe...

For your purposes you would probably want to make sure that your choice includes WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) instead of just code. That is one of the things that I like about Dreamweaver; I can have code in the top half and visual in the bottom at the same time. I believe that this can also be done with Microsoft's Impressions Web.

I suggest that you download a few that look good and stay with the one that feels most comfortable.

Also remember that most hosting outfits will offer a 'site builder' for free. I just don't like them as they are web based and I prefer to have my editor and working files local. Green Geeks uses Site Pad.
https://sitepad.com/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
BB, the following link is a list of some of the better free editors. Microsoft Expression Web 4 is the successor to Front Page.

https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best ... r-windows/

Expression web is probably way more than is needed. I found it to be geared more to a developer with more advanced requirements to build a site that utilizes Active Server Pages and the like.

Looking at various offerings, I think Kompozer is probably a good choice for simplicity.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer/

And if your needs are very basic, then the web host may have page/site building/editing capabilities online. When I had to move my sboots domain from Microsoft's hosting of a public web site with their Office 365 hosted Exchange (not to be confused with Office 365 Home), I migrated my site to Wix and simply use their online editor for the site as my needs are very simple for that site.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 pm 

KompoZer is a good possibility. It seems to be the successor to Nvu which is another that I've used but development was stopped in 2005 and KompoZer took over. NVU was awesome but had several annoying bugs. KompoZer fixes many of the bugs but not all. It is a good choice. When looking I was hunting for NVU as I liked it but couldn't remember the name. KompoZer is really just an update that fixes some bugs in NVU. I strongly suggest that this be given a look.

Expression web 4, I agree, is more than needed but I used to use the first two versions of Expression web and it did decent on the simpler stuff. My issue, as with Front Page, was bloated code when running in 'design mode' where you just drag and drop images and such. Didn't bother me much as I tend to hand code. By 'hand code' I mean that I write the code directly instead of design where the editor generates the code.

Out of the few free offerings I've used I liked Arachnophilia the most but can't strongly recommend as it requires that JAVA be installed. If you already have JAVA installed take a look but skip if JAVA is not present.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't have JAVA installed, so that eliminates Arachnophilia.

I did take a look at KompoZer, but here is what I read:
KompoZer was an open source WYSIWYG HTML editor based on the now-discontinued Nvu editor. KompoZer is maintained as a community-driven fork, and is a project on Sourceforge.
I have no idea what a community-driven fork is, nor what it means to be a project on SourceForge. Are these things I need to worry about?

So I think I will just start down Jay's list of better free editors....play around with a few and see what I'm comfortable with. And Jay, how will I know if it's a WYSIWYG editor? And how will I know if it's web-based, which I don't want; like you, I prefer to have my editor and working files local?

Thanks to you both for the leads and advice......

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

What it means is that the project is being worked on by a community of developers. "Fork" means that the NVU program is no longer being updated, but the base code was used to continue development by a community of interested developers.
Sourceforge hosts the project -- the code, the download, FAQs, etc., and also it is where the developers"discuss" changes and updates.

WYSIWYG -- What You See Is What You Get

It means that you are able to see the site as it would appear on the web (or rather close to how) while editing the pages with formatting/rich text. You would not need to know how to code HTML tags as the program will create the HTML for you.

Think of the difference between Notepad, which is a plain text editor (no formatting!), and Microsoft Word, which is a WYSIWYG text editor. The tools in Word allow you to apply formatting to the text without using "tags" or similar.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. I kinda knew what WYSIWYG meant, but I had no earthly idea what community-driven fork and Sourceforge project meant. Should I worry about the community losing interest and the project dissolving?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 pm 

If the project dies it is no different than my old version of Dreamweaver. In both cases it just means that there would be no future updates or features added. In fact the last time KompoZer was updated was 2016. Don't worry about it.

The program description should tell you if it is WYSIWYG.

None of the programs in the list I posted are web based to my knowledge.

KompoZer is probably your best bet but do look at a few. I've used KompoZer/NVU in the past and it is good.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I would not be concerned at all -- it would simply mean that there might be no more updates. As long as the program works for you, updates aren't needed. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:48 am 
welcoming committee

In the process of searching for my website files on an old computer, I ran across another website that I had also developed years ago. I much prefer this site to the one that is currently published at barrypatch.net (showing the Arkansas GL1800 Motorcycle Gathering).

All the files for this second site reside on this old computer, but I no longer have FrontPage installed. Without FrontPage, I don’t know how to get this site published on the internet using FTP (FrontPage had a command for doing this: File>Publish Web>FTP, etc).

Can this even be done while concurrently having the motorcycle website removed? If not, I will just recreate it once I select my new website builder.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it can be done -- as long as it was not a FrontPage extensions dependent site. Since you said you used FTP to publish and didn't see the folders indicative of a FrontPage site, you can copy the files to your new host using an FTP program or even with Windows Explorer (File Explorer) connecting to your host. The hosting company should provide details on how to FTP files to them.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. This is the site I had rather transfer to my new web host. So once I select who I am going with, I will inquire as to transfer process. Of my two websites, this is my favorite....it has photos, music, links, etc.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I noticed that Green Geeks offers the Website Builder program. But it looks like it is web-based using their templates, and not a WYSIWYG program on my computer. Is that correct?

Right now I'm trying to decide between Green Geeks and HostGator as my web host. I was also looking at GoDaddy since my domain is registered with them, but they don't have email nor chat capability....just a 408 phone number in AZ.

Then for a web builder, I have narrowed it down to Kompozer and M/S Expression Web 4 (as I would kinda like to also see the generated code as a learning experience).

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:49 pm 

Yes, Green Geeks web builder is web based. With the few different hosting outfits I've dealt with that has always been the case.

You can see either WYSIWYG or code in either Expressions Web or Kompozer. I believe that in Kompozer it is one or the other. In Expressions Web I just can't remember if it has a split screen between the two or not. Personally I prefer the split screen.

Sigh, I think that I'd have to advise Kompozer just due to memory telling me that I installed Expressions Web 4 and, pretty much, hated it but we are different people and you might love it. Install them both and play. After a while you will notice that you are only going to one. That is the one you would keep.

Actually, at one point, I had three editors going at the same time as each had different aspects that I liked but I was building sites for other people as part of my business.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I selected HostGator as my new web host. Other candidates were Green Geeks (I could never get them to answer my emails) and GoDaddy (they don't have email nor chat capability....just a 408 phone number in AZ). After selecting HostGator, overnight they successfully migrated my current website from my old host to their server. And although it took about 4 hours, GoDaddy got my nameservers changed. So although I was on 'pins & needles' while all this was transpiring, all is now well and I am ready to start developing a new website as a learning experience (probably using DreamWeaver).

Which brings me to my latest question. I want to keep my old website as well as the upcoming new one. So I've been reading about subdomains and addon domains. It appears that a free subdomain would be the easiest way to go and it is something that I could do through the HostGator cPanel.

I know Jay and Steve have much experience in this domain (pun intended), so I was hoping for a little guidance. If I want two websites just for pleasure, is a subdomain the way to go? And can I use FTP to upload my website to a subdomain just like I would to a domain? Thanks in advance...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Jay will be much more helpful with the sub-domains experience, but the answers are yes to both questions. As long as you have FTP access to your host's server with credentials to put you at your domain, they will have instructions on how to do the same for a sub-domain.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 pm 

Yes, you MUST use a sub domain for a secondary site. An add-on domain is strictly for setting up a site if you have a second, or more, domain on another registrar. Just to make sure that you are aware the second site address would not be 'second-site.com/.net' but, rather, 'second-site.barrypatch.net'. IF HostGater offers a free domain name you could use the second site name as your freebee and leave 'barrypatch.net on GoDaddy. If the second site domain can be a freebee then you could have both a main domains instead of the second site as a sub domain. You would need to contact the hosting support to find out about this.

Make VERY sure that you put the second site in a separate folder! If you put everything in the same place they will conflict with each other as there will be common files such as 'index.html'.

I'm just curious as how you tried to contact Green Geeks as I've never waited more than around 15 minutes for a notification that my ticket was received. As you said you emailed what did you use? In your case it should have been either support@greengeeks.com or billing@greengeeks.com. To be honest, if I have a question as to services, I just use the live chat feature.

What plan did you go with on HostGater? I'm just curious as to what features you have. :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:01 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I'm just curious as how you tried to contact Green Geeks as I've never waited more than around 15 minutes for a notification that my ticket was received. As you said you emailed what did you use? In your case it should have been either support@greengeeks.com or billing@greengeeks.com. To be honest, if I have a question as to services, I just use the live chat feature.
Jay, I used support@greengeeks.com. I did receive an immediate response that my ticket had been received, but I never heard another word from them.

I have emailed you my original email to them and their automated response. I never heard a word back from them, even though I sent a follow-up email two days later. So after about a week, I went with HostGator, as recommended by my current web host.

That evening I just didn't feel like chatting, and the GreenGeeks website offered email support as well.

What plan did you go with on HostGater? I'm just curious as to what features you have.
I have the Baby plan.
:)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:38 pm 

OK, I was just curious. ;)

One thing that I was interested in is if there is a data base size limit but could not find that specification. Even if there is it probably would not affect you as I don't believe that you intend to run anything, such as a forum, that needs a data base.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, HostGator does not provide a free domain, although they allow unlimited domains and subdomains on my plan. But since I have my barrypatch.net domain registered with GoDaddy, is that where I need to go to create my subdomain? Or is it possible to have my domain with GoDaddy and a subdomain with HostGator? Both give instructions on how to do this via cPanel.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 pm 

I imagine that you could do a sub domain with the domain being on GoDaddy but I was asking if you knew if there was a restriction on data base size. ;)

Your barrypatch domain on GoDaddy is probably an add-on domain on HostGator. As to sub domains, email addresses, etc. you should be able to treat it just as if the name were actually on HostGator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email