Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been using Diskeeper by Condusiv since I joined Computer Haven. I won the initial license from Manny thru his contest about explaining fragmentation in a creative way. It has evolved over the years to a point where I don't recognize or understand the information it produces. Does anyone else use a third party software to eliminate fragmentation? If so what is the consensus for a good choice? Is it still considered taboo to defrag a SSD?

Currently I'm testing a software called O&O Defrag 22. It's a German based company with only European phone support. I would have to communicate by email, not something I would want to depend on.

How good is the Windows 10 De-fragging program? Does one need a 3rd party software? I'm looking for options. Thanks.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I use Auslogic's Defrag free version.
https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/d ... /download/
If you try it take care during the install for any bundled software. Just click on a button to skip all offers.

It will make offers through the defrag program but you need to click the links to trigger. Just avoid the System Health tab. I have been using this program for years and like it a lot. I also has options to optimize the system for SSD usage that are not the same as doing a defrag.

I still advise to not defrag an SSD.

As far as I know the Windows defrag does fine. It just does not have optimization options like Auslogics. With Auslogics you can select to just defrag or to defrag and optimize. The optimize part moves frequently used files to faster parts of the drive.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Adding a comment about defragmenting an SSD -- basically, doing so "wastes" some read/writes as an SSD has a theoretical limit on read/writes.
And, adding my opinion on defragmenting in general -- I see little to no value to doing anything beyond allowing Windows to handle it. The speed of today's drives, memory, and processors make any delays caused by file fragmentation on a drive be pretty much imperceptible.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm 

I agree Steve. I use Auslogics more for the optimization features than the defrag. I probably run it 2-3 times a year.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve & Jay thanks for the input. I haven't used the integrated Windows fragmentation remover since Windows XP Pro. I will give the internal function a try for a few weeks. It says "optimization" in the menu. In reality does this mean defragging instead? I've set up a scheduled "optimization" weekly.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 pm 

Yes, I believe that 'optimization' in the Windows defrag just refers to defragging.

Even with my mechanical hard drives I never set up a schedule although, by default, it is on a schedule as to the built in defrag. I just manually analyze the drives and defrag if the fragmentation shows 10% or higher. I just consider it a waste of wear and tear on the drive if fragmentation is under 10%. With today's systems that could, probably, easily be jumped up to 25%.

Bottom line is that defragging MAY lower boot times a bit but isn't really going to do much as to system performance after booted. Even with that I think the improvement in boot times is more the aspect of optimization through a program such as Auslogics than the included defrag. This only applies to an HDD, not an SSD. You should not defrag an SSD. In fact it is recommended that file indexing also be turned off for an SSD.

Ya know... now that I really think about it I can't remember the last time I actually did a defrag on my main system. My system drive is an M.2 SSD and my video conversion drive is a SATA SSD.

<Note!>
For any that do not know an M.2 SSD uses a PCIe interface rather than the SATA used by a standard SSD. An M.2 drive is MUCH faster. For example my SATA SSD has a potential read rate of 550 MB/sec while my M.2 PCIe SSD has a potential read rate of 3.2 GB/sec.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I thought Windows Automatic Maintenance included defragging, which has always worried me because I have an SSD.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

It does, but it does it safely and intelligently. Scott Hanselman wrote about this a number of years back -- https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealA ... urSSD.aspx

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)