Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:47 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Go figure... Inside an SD card is an SD card. Go figure... :dunno:

Don't ask me why but I got curious about what was inside one of these things. Since I have a bunch of them I opened one up. So we start with an SD card. Sigh, how things have changed... basically throwing away an 8GB SD card just to see. Then again, these days, an 8GB storage unit isn't worth all that much. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
SD-card-1.JPG
SD-card-1.JPG [ 94.33 KiB | Viewed 2458 times ]

I was actually easy to open the thing and here is what I saw. Please note the insert in the upper half of the image. It is the real SD card. Everything below the insert is just wasted space that does nothing.
Attachment:
SD-card-2.JPG
SD-card-2.JPG [ 92.25 KiB | Viewed 2458 times ]

Sigh, that insert mentioned above is the actual SD card. It took some playing as, of course, the insert does not properly fit an SD card reader but I got my system to recognize the insert as removeable media, an SD card.
Attachment:
SD-card-3.JPG
SD-card-3.JPG [ 95.49 KiB | Viewed 2458 times ]

Forget the three rows of dot type contacts in the middle of the card as they don't do anything. There no matching contacts inside of the outer SD shell. Well actually there is but it is just the write enable/disable switch for the card. In the above image they would be the three on the very left hand side. Such a switch could easily be put on the actual inner card instead of needing a much larger outer shell.

Like I said I was just curious but it still brings up a question, WHY? Why do electronics designers increase production costs with no apparent reason? Since I have demonstrated (to myself) that the insert is still a working device without the outer shell why increase production costs by building the superfluous outer shell in the first place? I mean you could have the exact same results with a unit half the size. Why blow it up to twice the size and increase production, and retail, costs? I just don't get it. I could see it if the outer shell were to be an 'interference' shield but I cut the thing into a bunch of pieces and could see no indication of any shielding. So, again the question, WHY?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:02 am 

Because they can. :twisted:

I have no real answer but could it be to do with making it easier to hold and use?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
JoanA wrote:
........I have no real answer but could it be to do with making it easier to hold and use?

If that were the case there would be no such thing as a micro SD card. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:53 pm 

jaylach wrote:
JoanA wrote:
........I have no real answer but could it be to do with making it easier to hold and use?

If that were the case there would be no such thing as a micro SD card. :mrgreen:

Of course, I forgot about them. :rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing