Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I guess that I have no choice left but to drop Internet Explorer in favor of Firefox. It is just getting to where too many sites no longer support IE.

The final straw was https://www.gog.com/ where I get most of my games. They put up a remastered version of an old RPG named Full Throttle as a free download and I could not get the thing using IE, no issue with Firefox. With the introduction of Edge more and more sites are dropping IE support.

Can't exactly say why but I don't really feel comfortable with Edge so FF will probably end up being my default.

It may seem odd to be sentimental about a web browser but I've been using IE as my default as long as I've been using Windows. I'll miss the thing. LOL! Of course, in a couple of weeks, I'll probably forget that I used it. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 am 

Other than IE, FF and Edge what browsers do any use? Don't bother mentioning Chrome as I don't like/trust Google. :mrgreen:

I've installed Opera as a possibility and it has passed the first test in that I can stream videos using Opera on one monitor and play games on another. Actually losing the ability to do that was the first indication I saw as to IE losing support. I've been using FF for streaming for a while now. I really have no problem using FF as my default but like to have a good secondary.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 am 

I mainly use Edge, have done since getting 10. Not too bothered with FF as there are 2 games I play on Facebook and they didn't run properly in it but work OK in Edge, plus it just seems to be too busy for my taste.

Also I get an Advent Calendar from Jacquie Lawson and there is animation on the home page which just didn't work properly in Edge but it works fine in Chrome.

I've not tried Opera yet, I'll have to give it a try and see if I like it, I know Corrine likes Palemoon, I think I looked at that when I was still using Windows 7 but not tried it in 10.

Like you Jay I always liked IE and used it on all my machines and whichever operating system I was using at the time.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm 

I forgot about Pale Moon. Just tried to download and my security would not allow the file to extract due to finding a virus.

<edit>
Tried the 32bit version of Pale Moon and it was fine. Got my bookmarks imported without issue but don't seem to see an option to import cookies/data.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm 

OK, a couple of questions...

1) Pale Moon is installed but won't stream Netflix at all. Keeps coming up with a DRM error probably associated with Silver Light. Problem is likely that I had to install the 32bit version of Pale Moon but have the 64bit version of Silver Light. If I try to install the 64 bit version of Pale Moon my security, specifically Defender, prevents the file extractions claiming that there is a Trojan or unwanted software included.

2) Is it possible to bring back the 'menu bar' in Edge? By menu bar I mean the line of options including 'File - Edit - View - History - Bookmarks/Favorites - Tools - Help'.

<edit>
As to 2), the menu bar, this just seems to not be available in Edge according to every search I've done. To be honest this lack is my main complaint as to Edge.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 am 

On my Edge set up I have the Favourites bar on. Along the address bar at one side is the back/forward buttons, the refresh and home buttons. At the other end inside the address bar is the translate this page, reading view and favourite star buttons and then along the rest of that line you have the hub, add notes, share, then a couple of my extensions Grammarly and RoboForm buttons and then the 3 dots to show more options.

Then under that is what I think is the favourite bar showing the translator, Microsoft and NHS Choices.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 am 

Sorry Joan but that is not at all the menu bar. I never use a 'favorites bar'. If I want something out of my favorites I want to click on favorites/bookmarks in my menu bar. IE, FF and Pale Moon offer the menu bar. Edge and Opera seem to not do so.

Here is an image of what I want to see. This is in FF.
Attachment:
menu bar 1.png
menu bar 1.png [ 81.88 KiB | Viewed 10320 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:57 pm 

I could get rid of the favourite bar as I don't really use it but keep forgetting it, if I want to get anything from my favourites I just click on the button on the right side of the address bar, which is the hub and holds the history, favourites, reading list and downloads.
I like the extra space on screen, especially when on a laptop, and not have it taken over by different lines of text etc.

For the most part I'm happy with Edge as it does all I need from a browser most of the time.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, like you I am partial to IE and that's basically all I still use. Earlier this year I read some good reviews about Vivaldi, so I played around with it for awhile. It is very customizable, but it seemed that every time I used it, they had an update available. I just got tired of updating, so I went back to IE. Perhaps by now, Vivaldi has stabilized .

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
OK, a couple of questions...

1) Pale Moon is installed but won't stream Netflix at all. Keeps coming up with a DRM error probably associated with Silver Light.

Regardless of whether Pale Moon is the 32- or 64-bit version, it doesn't support DRM. As explained in this post on the PM forum, the Pale Moon browser will be completely free of DRM: Update re: tabs AND a new problem (Amazon Prime) ... - Pale Moon forum.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 pm 

Thanks Corrine :)

Just checked on the Spectrum Cable site and Pale Moon works fine as to streaming from them. Just seems a bit odd as I would think that DRM would also be involved in doing so but mayhaps not... :dunno:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:14 pm 

LOL! Not that anyone cares but, after playing with some browsers, I've gone with Firefox as my main and Edge if needed. If I could have a menu bar in Edge I would possibly reverse the order. Who knows, mayhaps I can 'train' myself to like the hamburger menu in edge.

I will say that I like that neither Firefox nor Edge need a status bar as to my usage. I always had the status bar on in IE so I could see the address if a link were to be hovered. Although, to be honest, this aspect of a status bar is sort of a false sense of security as it is a simple matter to make the status bar display a different address than where the link actually goes. Both Firefox and Edge show the linked address at the bottom without an actual bar.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I care Jay! Because if you are not happy, none of us will be happy :cboy1:

Happy Holidays to All......

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:18 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Well, I care Jay! Because if you are not happy, none of us will be happy :cboy1:

Happy Holidays to All......

Now BB....... You know how strict we are as to staying on topic... (snicker, snicker) How darest thou put a "Happy Holidays to all....." in a browser thread when it belongs in the 'Merry Christmas' thread? :mrgreen:

Happy Holidays back at you BB. :)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been using Vivaldi with no issues. It's user friendly and reliable! I haven't had any bugs. It even gives you the green lock for secure sites. Firefox is my backup browser.

https://vivaldi.com

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:51 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, you mentioned in this thread Dec 2018 that you've chosen FF as one of the browsers you use now.

jaylach wrote:
Not that anyone cares but, after playing with some browsers, I've gone with Firefox as my main and Edge if needed.

I've always liked FF but a couple of wks ago I came into CH and was using FF and got an error message that came up near the login area that I was using a non secure browser, can't remember the exact message so I backed out and used a different browser to be sure. Hopefully you know what message I mean, otherwise I can redo it and get the exact words, just let me know.

Don't you get this message when you use FF when logging into CH? Maybe I misunderstood?
ps: the message is: 'This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised.'

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

That message appears since ComputerHaven is accessed via http and not https. That means that, in theory, your login could be intercepted and someone could use those credentials to login to the site pretending to be you. Since CH doesn't sell anything, there's no credit card information. And as long as you use unique credentials here compared to other sites you access, there are no problems.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email