Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post subject: Acronis oddity
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not really an issue but I don't understand.

It SEEMS (can't say it is 100%) that every time I update my Acronis True Image software my boot sequence changes to the Acronis repair environment being first. Since I do not have Acronis recovery media loaded, of course, a boot fails. Normally I have the Windows Boot Manager listed first though I could easily change that to go directly to my M.2 system drive.

I just have to go to my BIOS and fix the boot device order and all is fine. Just curious if any others have seen anything such as this.

Post subject: Re: Acronis oddity
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Check for a setting in Acronis, with the new UEFI bios' changes can be easily made to the BIOS from within Windows.

(Expecting delivery of an M.2 drive tomorrow)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

dvair wrote:
Check for a setting in Acronis, with the new UEFI bios' changes can be easily made to the BIOS from within Windows.

(Expecting delivery of an M.2 drive tomorrow)

LOL! OK, I'm taking my own thread off topic. :rofl2:

What M.2 drive did you get? Mine is a Samsung 960 EVO, 500GB. Are you using a PCIe adapter or do you have M.2 ports on your mother board? Be careful to select the right M.2 port on the mother board if that is the case. If there are multiple ports one of those ports will be listed as ultra or such. In most cases there will only be one 'ultra' port with the rest being standard. I don't remember the exact numbers but you should get ~30% better performance if the drive is in an ultra port.

As an aside to installing... If the port for the M.2 drive is on the mother board it will be spring lifted to ~45 degrees. You plug in the drive and push down and put in a screw to secure the thing. The screw is VERY small and is a total pain trying to get in while holding the drive down unless you are luckier than myself. ;) Finally I got smart and just taped down the drive so I had both hands to deal with the screw. Made it quite easy to do; use the tape. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am 
welcoming committee

I buy Intel drives. I have two M.2 ports, I will be using the top one above the Video card for easy access. This is a brand new board with Z370 chipset so no difference between the two ports. I use a magnetic screwdriver so losing the screw isn't an issue. The M.2 version of the SSD was lower priced than the 2.5 version plus I got the PCIe version so should be quite fast and I can still use all my internal SATA ports.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Drive installed with no issues.

edit - when you system is running fine, don't mess around with BIOS settings to see what stuff does. Was seeing what the different settings for the M.2 drive did and ended up with a inaccessible boot drive. No big deal just redid the clone from the original drive and all was well.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 pm 

M.2 drives are sort of special are they not? My M.2 drive is my system drive and a I have a standard SSD for media conversions. The M.2 drive is PCIe based and the other SSD is SATA. The SATA SSD has a sequential read rate of 550 MB/sec. The M.2 drive has a sequential read rate of 3200 MB/sec. LOL! In a year M.2 drives will probably be obsolete but they are the fastest thing I've seen right now. :mrgreen:

Don't know that you actually needed to re-do the clone. It may have been as simple as selecting the drive directly in the UEFI boot order.

Anyway... it would seem that you have it all going fine. Have fun. :)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 pm 
welcoming committee

My changes in the BIOS activated the RAID controller within Windows, it worked OK but I couldn't see my regular SATA drives in the IRST application. So I went back and put my setting in BIOS back and that's when I got the boot drive issue. I could have kept the RAID controller setting but I wanted it as normal AHCI so my software monitor sees the SATA drives normally. Not a big deal used AOEMI partition assistant to reclone the drive and all was back up and running.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I am not even running the fast boot stuff and the startup is lightning fast.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery