Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Everyone,
I hope all is well with the membership. I did just read about Patty and I'm saddened by this news.

I have an issue creating a backup image to a Seagate SSD USB 3.0 connected to my router. The drive is formatted correctly. All the router protocols are set correctly. The drive appears on the network as shown in the attached picture.

The problem I'm having is one computer will save an image to the drive no problem. The second computer starts the process but after a couple minutes, and I do mean 2 minutes max, the green horizontal time bar advances all the way to the right and turns red. I get a 0x80070570 error stating that the directory or file is corrupted and not accessible.

From what I read about this procedure, Windows Image Backup could create one image backup from each computer to the same folder. The folder in the picture shows the one computer image file as MovieVault. The second computer does create a named subfolder within the WindowsImageBackup folder even though the process is incomplete. According to the router settings I'm able to have 5 default concurrent connections. This value can be changed. I only have 2 computers on the network. I do have 8-10 other electronic devices connected, some with either net cable and some with WiFi. None of those would be saving to the SSD.

My question is have I missed a setting on computer 2 that is not allowing this to work. Both computers have updated to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit V1803 in early May. I haven't changed anything. There are differences in the programs on both machines. I have done many Bing searches and have not found a remedy. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments:
File comment: This shows that Thor, and it's subfolders, the USB SSD is visible on the network. It appears a computer in the top row hierarchy.
CH folder picture.PNG
CH folder picture.PNG [ 49.55 KiB | Viewed 9206 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 am 
welcoming committee

I'm not sure if this is the correct category for this post. After creating this I scrolled down and saw a System Recovery category in the Advanced topics section. Feel free to move this if that would be more appropriate. Thanks again for your help.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Just as a troubleshooting item, I would try to just do a plain image backup with a drive physically attached to the second computer to make sure the process actually completes. This will rule out any issues with the source drive. If that works we can further troubleshoot, may be something as simple as permissions not set right at the destination.

Microsoft is not going to be maintaining the built in imaging (it will be around but not updates to it) so you might want to try some of the other free imaging programs to see if they work for you.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Dvair
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I did try that and everything worked to completion. This thing really has me stumped.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Not sure then, as I only image to local drives. I believe there is also a concurrent connections settings on the shared drive itself. Do you have the whole drive shared or just a folder on the drive? Maybe try to make two folders , one for each machine and share them with read/write permissions. Then save the image to the separate folder.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Dvair wise minds think alike. That idea didn't work either. There must be a setting somewhere internally that I've missed. Here are a few pictures from inside the router interface. Maybe they will trigger an idea. I was hoping a CH member had tried to do this in the past. I suppose this is similar to sharing to a NAS server.

Attachments:
File comment: Step 4
FTPShare.PNG
FTPShare.PNG [ 43.28 KiB | Viewed 9190 times ]
File comment: Step 3
NetworkPlace (Samba) copy.png
NetworkPlace (Samba) copy.png [ 62.35 KiB | Viewed 9190 times ]
File comment: Step 2
MediaServer.02 copy.png
MediaServer.02 copy.png [ 25.88 KiB | Viewed 9190 times ]
File comment: Step 1
MediaServer.01 copy.png
MediaServer.01 copy.png [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 9190 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Double check the permissions of the folders on the actual drive itself too through Windows. Might want to check the Seagate site forums for help.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally I think this is a case where partitioning works well... at least has for me. I would consider partitioning the drive in half and saving each image to the root of its own partition.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Personally I think this is a case where partitioning works well... at least has for me. I would consider partitioning the drive in half and saving each image to the root of its own partition.

Hi Jay,
I actually tried that first. I used windows to create the partitions, one for each machine. I then followed the steps to create the directories. I then tried to create the backup images. I still ended up with the same error from machine 2.

It's not the drive or the setup. What we are missing here is computer 1 can create the image. Computer 2 can not create the image and gives the 0x80070570 error. This is why I have to believe even though I didn't change anything directly on computer 2, something is different in the internal settings.

I am busy for the next couple days. In the mean time I will check the Seagate forums for any possible help. In the words of the T1000, "I'll be back" on the weekend. :D

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 pm 

You may want to go to your router address and see if it has an optional software link as does my Belkin router. On mine one such software package is for USB control of the router in relation to other machines. In my case I needed to install this software on my second and third systems to fully access the USB on the router.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You may want to go to your router address and see if it has an optional software link as does my Belkin router. On mine one such software package is for USB control of the router in relation to other machines. In my case I needed to install this software on my second and third systems to fully access the USB on the router.

Thanks Jay. I'm still working on this issue but is got put on hold for a few days. With July 4th passing through I invest as much time.

I also noticed that I had mad residual files on my system drives that were left over from the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. I therefore did a format and fresh install of Win 10 Pro V1803. I still have a few more programs to install then I will tackle this problem again.

One thin I did notice is that the fresh system install shows up on the my network discovery method as NetBios. The computer in the basement TV Room shows up as WSD. Why aren't they the same?

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Howdy, I apologize for the lengthy lapse in responses. I have still been working on this. After doing extensive searching I came across this video that helped me get my computers to see and access each other in my local private network.

How to resolve error 0x80070035: network path not found in windows 10

This also converted both computers "Discovery Method" to WSD in the Network Explorer Window.

Another thing I discovered was that my router was failing. Both my WiFi channels, 2.4GHZ & 5.0GHz, were randomly failing. When running tests at Speedtest.net, my numbers were 1/3 of what they should be. When running the test using just my Xfinity modem/router my speeds were well over 160 mbps download/ 24 mbps upload. When my ASUS router was connected my download speed went down to 61 or 62 mbps.

Today I purchased a Linksys WRT AC3200 Smart Router. This unit offers the capability to connect a 3.0 usb drive or an eSata drive. Once I have this on the network I'll post an update about the connected NAS drive.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:27 pm 

Good luck. :) Hey, at least I was looking at the router in my last post even if my reason was wrong. :mrgreen:

Take a good look at the USB on the new router as you MAY be able to connect more than just a NAS drive to the USB. I have a USB hub attached to the USB port on my Belkin router with both my NAS drive and my USB TV turner. The NAS drive takes care of itself. The TV turner is accessible on all machines but only one at a time. I just go to the USB control app for the router on the system on which I want to use the turner and select to make active. Just a possibility to look at...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am 
welcoming committee

I purchased a Linksys WRT3200ACM. I haven't had any performance issues with my network. This router is much cooler to the touch. All the vents are on the top for better air flow. The Asus Dark Knight ran really warm.

My WiFi appears to be faster with the new router. I used the Speedtest App from the Windows store. The app is pretty convenient.

There are two issues about the router.

Issue one: The USB SSD isn't recognized on my network. The router itself sees it but won't add it to the Network Explorer window. I called Linksys and the tech told me they are aware of the problem and will be releasing a firmware update to correct this soon, no time frame available. I have the router set for auto update so it should take care of itself.

Issue two: The eSata port works but will only recognize HDD or SSD less than 4 TB. This defeats my objective to add my external raid enclosure with all my movies on them to the network. Darn it all! :(

Attachments:
File comment: Done this morning using the Speedtest App.
Speedtest App_08132018.PNG
Speedtest App_08132018.PNG [ 28.67 KiB | Viewed 9032 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am 

I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of Linksys but they tend to do the job. You are probably going to have to wait for the firmware update but check this page just in case you missed something.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=142291

Sadly, many routers have a 3-5 TB limit. 4 TB seems pretty common. The only real way around this, it would seem, is to partition the drive into multiple 3-4 TB sections. I've never tried connecting one of my 6 TB drives to my Belkin router and don't see where it would help anything to pull one out of a tower to see.

Is your R.A.I.D. enclosure Linux compatible? You have to remember that a router does not run Windows but, rather, Linux although I suppose that there could be some Android driven routers out there. I've never heard of an Android router but that does not mean they do not exist. Most likely your router is running Linux.

Steve can probably give more insight...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay I've never had an issue with my earlier Linksys model. We will just have to see how this goes. If I don't see a firmware update soon I will call Linksys again.

Actually the firmware update will be to acknowledge the new SMBv2 and SMBv3 network sharing protocols. Right now they are still stuck in the obsolete SMBv1 which Microsoft eliminated in Windows 10 because of possible security breaches.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am 
welcoming committee

I was in touch with Linksys yesterday (8/21) because my internet download speed was hovering between 55-59 mbps. That speed was both on my hard wired PC and my WiFi iPad. The Linksys tech suggested resetting the router and setting it up again. I was blown away when I ran Speedtest.net. My speed quintupled on the hard wire PC. It also went up to almost 90 mbps using the 5GHz band on the iPad.

Unfortunately the reset didn't fix the USB port issue as it is still a firmware issue that runs the antiquated SMBv1 network protocol. I have opened up this protocol again on my system. I can now see and have mapped the drive. Is this risky for a home system? Should I remove the SMBv1 protocol and wait for the firmware update that will use SMBv2 & v3?

Thoughts anyone!?

Attachments:
File comment: Startling download speed never before seen from Xfinity ISP. I don't understand the Ping ms: 27 number.
Speedtest_Au222018.PNG
Speedtest_Au222018.PNG [ 50.73 KiB | Viewed 8946 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:01 am 
Site Admin

If you don't need SMBv1, you should disable it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks