Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
A friend of mine refused my constant push toward doing image/file backups. Now his system is toast but the hard drives apparently are fine. He used to be a graphic artist and just wants to get his images back.

The problem is that the hard drives are in no way normal. The setup is four 15,000 RPM SCSI drives in both mirror and striped RAID arrays.

Anyone know of any possibility of connecting these drives through an external interface to retrieve data? As I've never used a RAID array I really have no clue as to external possibilities.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Possible, but far from easy.
http://spench.net/drupal/resources/raid0
Easier will typically cost money -- this add-on to an $80 product seems to have good results -- http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/library ... overy.aspx
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm 

Thanks Steve. :)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Was the RAID using connections on the motherboard or a separate RAID controller card?

If it was a card he could be able to put it into another system and use the drives as is.

If they were on the motherboard, the best bet is to get an identical make board and use the drives with that.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm 

Not sure David. Will have to check. This is one of those difficult cases where I'm in Wyoming and he is in Ohio.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 pm 

The system in question was using a separate R.A.I.D. controller either PCI or possibly PCIe. Not yet sure on the interface yet.

Have also gained a bit more info. When the power button is hit absolutely nothing happens; no power light and no fan spin. This adds the possibility of the system failure being nothing but a blown power supply. Of course it could also be a mother board failure. I cringe as to suggesting that he try replacing the power supply as it would not be cheap. The power supply is 1500 watt and the wattage is needed. The system is a custom built Dell system with four quad core processors. No, that is not a typo. The thing has four quad core processors. The VA had it built for him with the intent of running AutoCAD and very high level graphics programs. Shoot, the four SCSI 15,000 RPM drives carried a cost of ~$1000.00 each. While the system is old it still probably has a higher data throughput than most current gamming rigs. The monitor itself has the ability to surpass today's 4K monitors and is large. Including the 17 inch carriage Epson Stylus Pro $2500.00 printer the total system, when built, came at a cost of around $20,000.00.

I am REALLY tempted to advise to try replacing the power supply as, even if not the issue, could be used in a new build... Shoot, I'm being dumb! A common friend that is also in Ohio is one of the top electronics techs for Cleveland Clinic Heart Center. I doubt that he would have an issue with testing the power supply... Hmmm...

LOL! We'll get to the possibility of a bad memory stick later. Though on that I'd expect that the fans would start to spin up before failure.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 pm 
welcoming committee

He may have to get a DELL power supply, sometimes those are custom sized.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 pm 

dvair wrote:
He may have to get a DELL power supply, sometimes those are custom sized.

That is true but not so much with high level custom Dell builds. The first step remains to have the current power supply tested. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The first step remains to have the current power supply tested. ;)

Just throwing this out there because it has happened to me in the past on one occasion, as a first step make sure the power button isn't where the fault lies before testing anything else... it's such a simple thing but even power switches don't last forever.

I'd also add, remove and reseat the power supply from the motherboard... i haven't worked out why yet, but for some strange reason on my current Gigabyte motherboard (possibly some sort of UEFI BIOS protection in play?) if i remove any components (memory/graphics etc) the motherboard appears dead until i remove and reseat the ATX power connector, that is, on pressing the power button nothing at all happens until i reseat the ATX connector... very odd.
[Fyi, it makes no difference if the power cable between the wall socket and PSU is connected or disconnected before removing/adding hardware, discharging static from myself also makes no difference, every time i do anything inside the case it's a step i have to go through... annoying because there's no mention of this in the manual so i kind of suspect a fault but as all benchmarks prove otherwise and the system works flawless after i don't see the point in RMA'ing it.]

Both those options are unlikely but when dealing with a $20,000 computer I'd certainly want to try and rule them out as first options before going down the expensive road... oh, and replace the CMOS battery while I'm at it.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:09 pm 

Actually I've also had a power button go bad.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm 
welcoming committee

And he wouldn't do imaging. Big Duh!!

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing