Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 pm 
welcoming committee

A message just popped up from Malwarebytes stating that I could do a free upgrade to Version 3.2. I clicked on Yes (or whatever the acceptance word was) and I selected to have a new desktop icon installed. I guess the installation started, because in less than a minute I received the message that I needed to restart my computer to complete the installation and did I want to do that now. I said 'No' because I first wanted to close out a document and a few other things. After I closed out everything, I restarted my computer.

After that, MBAM totally disappeared from my computer. Even the previous taskbar icon was not available....when I clicked on it, I got the message that this shortcut was no longer valid (or words to that affect).

Does anyone have any idea what happened to me and how I can recover MBAM at this point? I still have about 6 months left on my 2-year subscription. I hope I didn't fall for a scam; thankfully everything else on my computer appears to be working.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'd just download from the following link and do another install. Might as well allow the free trial if asked. If it does not pick up your license on the fly just re-enter.

Hmmm, before you do the above open your Control Panel then Programs and features and check that MBAM is, in fact, not installed. If you see it there go to your program files folder and launch.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I don't see the link. And yes I went to Programs & Features and MBAM is no longer listed.

Edit: I don't know my license #. My paperwork shows a Reference # and an Invoice #. Is one of these my license #?

Edit#2: Sorry, Jay....it's been a long week worrying about my two sons in the Houston area. Anyway, I emailed MBAM and they sent me instructions for doing what you suggested, so I will try that.....probably in the morning when I'm fresher. As always, thanks for your advice.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 pm 

Opps, I forgot to add the link. It is below although you probably already have it from MBAM support.

Your license is probably still in your system registry and a new install should pick it up. I doubt that either your invoice or reference numbers are the license code but either should allow you to retrieve your license key from MBAM without issue.

I hope that your sons are fine in Houston! I hope that they evacuated. Property damage is going to happen whether you are there or not. I do think that, emotionally, it is better to avoid the trauma of a high level storm like this was...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:22 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, performing the fresh download & install of version 3.2.2 worked with no problem, and my license number was retained. I have no idea what happened when I tried to do the upgrade, but that process deleted MBAM entirely from my system.

Thanks again for your help.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

They have a very flakey setup program. I've run into issues with client machines before and did again yesterday. I always do two restarts after installing Malwarebytes for this reason. But I also keep a close eye on what is happening and what version I'm supposed to have installed and what I've actually got. I walked a client through the installation over the phone yesterday. Something didn't seem right to me and upon having her check things out, she was supposed to have gotten 3.2.2, but wound up with 3.0.6 - I suspect her earlier version was this. It seemed to do two different installs. Looking back, I should have had her click cancel on the second upgrade notice, but it had me confused since I couldn't see what was happening.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 pm 

Glad to have helped BB. :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, I was still running an older version of MBAM....can't remember exactly which one. So when I tried to upgrade to 3.2.2, I think the process first deleted my old version and then never got around to download/installing 3.2.2. But when I did as Jay suggested and went to their website and did the free version download, everything went smoothly and my license number was immediately recognized.

At the same time I reached out to CH for help, I also went to the MBAM support site and enter all my info into their request form. Within 10 minutes I got an automated email response with a case number. Included in that response were two suggestions to try, one of which was the same Jay recommended. But the automated response went on to say that if these suggestions didn't work, then all I needed to do was answer their email and they would be happy to provide direct support (not sure what that meant). But since their's/Jay's suggestion worked, I didn't need further help. But I was pleased in MBAM's effort to resolve my issue.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm 

By direct support they meant going from an automated system to one-on-one support with a tech..

Many initial support responses will be automated. Some just say that your request has been received will have a no-reply notice attached. Others, such as your experience with MBAM, give some automated suggestions, based on key words included in your support request, along with your being able to reply to the email. In the latter case ALWAYS make sure to leave the case/ticket number intact exactly as they sent.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:07 pm 
welcoming committee

I sorta figured that was what they meant. They required a lot of info on the form I submitted, including summary & description of my problem using their pre-selected categories. For instance, one of the categories was "Problems installing or upgrading Malwarebytes", or words to that effect. So their two suggestions were spot-on for this problem.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes, this Malwarebytes outfit definitely needs some lessons on updating. GG's system STILL has not updated to version 3, and she has the pro version always running. And yes, I have the, however it is worded, "Include software version with updates" or something like that, ticked. :mad7:
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm 

You can always just download and install Acadia. From BB's experience it just may be the safer way to go anyway.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security