Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Velocity Micro is the computer maker. I believe they are using WD drives for the 1tb drives. With my usage, at the time they recommended HDD's for me.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Velocity Micro is a case/PC maker, Patty. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Velocity Micro is a case/PC maker, Patty. :-)

-steve

Hi Steve

Actually they don't make the cases. They buy them for their systems which the do sell

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Yes, I certainly understand the "time is money" concept from the years of running my own business. Is Velocity Micro the hard drive maker? Is that HDD or SSD?

Patty, Velocity Micro is the manufacturer from whom I purchased my new computer last January (with a 512 GB SSD). I'm very high on them. I currently have three PC desktops in my house....all from Velocity Micro. My newest one is now almost a year old, then one that is about 7 years old and one about 13 years old. The only problem I have ever had with any of these computers is a hard drive that failed years ago on my oldest computer.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:03 pm 
Fearless Leader

That's really good, BB. Can it possibly be that the newest one is almost a year old already? LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, i decided to start on trying to duplicate your problem, by just installing Acronis 2017. Got installed and also removed some stuff I thought might get in the way. I do all my Acronis imaging from the Recovery Environment, so this was my first attempt to take an image with the desktop version installed. Arg. I was never able to get an image. Project abandoned.

Jay if you want to do anything about it, you will have to go to their forum and report it.

Pete

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Peter2150 wrote:

Actually they don't make the cases. They buy them for their systems which the do sell

I'm pretty sure that their cases are exclusive to their line. I thought they also sold them bare bones, but apparently I was wrong on that point. I do know that their PCs have received great reviews.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Peter2150 wrote:
Jay, i decided to start on trying to duplicate your problem, by just installing Acronis 2017. Got installed and also removed some stuff I thought might get in the way. I do all my Acronis imaging from the Recovery Environment, so this was my first attempt to take an image with the desktop version installed. Arg. I was never able to get an image. Project abandoned.

Are you saying that you could not create an image? I don't have that issue at all. But then I'm running the most current 2.xxx version of MBAM, not 3.xxx. As you have said earlier your issue was probably MBAM 3. I've never made an Acronis from the recovery media, will have to try that the next time I do an image to my external. On my internal the images are on a daily schedule. LOL! I am SO glad that I decided to run SATA out the back of my box. I can image to my external as quickly as to my internal. :mrgreen:

It was just that I had to boot to recovery media if I wanted to restore. I'm not worried about having to boot to recovery as that would be my desired method anyway. The only reason that I tried to start from within Windows was that I had not yet created recovery media With Acronis 2017 and was in a hurry. I just didn't feel secure trying to restore a 2017 image with 2016 recovery media. An on-line repair of Office 2016 solved the issue so it was a null issue.

Since then I have created the Acronis 2016 recovery media and a restore works just fine.

BTW, if any others use Acronis, make sure to renew your license for the next year early. I renewed for 2017 in August of 2016 and saved $20.00.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 am 
welcoming committee

Jay

when I tried last night i didn't have mbam on the system at all. The reason I use the recovery medium for acronis is I don't want all the "stuff" they install. Just look around and see how many exe's they have. Lots of junk. Heck Drive Snapshot can get the whole job done, including mount the image, with just one 700kb exe.

Anyway if you really feel there is a problem you will need to report it to Mbam.

Pete

Update. Jay in thinking about it since MB3 is released, they will probably ask you to retest with MB3 which will run you into the VSS problem if you do a windows image.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am 
welcoming committee

Just a heads up and warning. We all know Acadia favorite line, Back up, Backup, Backup. And he's correct. But now a warning. I have all but read access blocked on my secondary drives. But occasionally I turn it off to see what the ransomware actually does. Alarmingly a lot of them also will nail any image files they find.. Just be warned.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 pm 
Fearless Leader

I was wondering about that. Another question along these lines. I have all my data on a separate partition. Also on that partition are my OneDrive local folders. There are actual files in those folders (because I choose to keep them there). The way these folders work is that I move or copy a file to one of those folders and it gets uploaded to OneDrive. Could ransomeware encrypt my files ON OneDrive? I know it could encrypt my local copies - but will it then upload encrypted files to OneDrive and overwrite my files there? Or will Microsoft prevent that in some way? I probably should encrypt a single file and put it in there and see what shows up on OneDrive.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Patty

The separate partition in itself won't protect you. From what I've read, I suspect your uploaded files could be over written. First to protect the uploaded stuff, if you can not be connected that is best, but it probably would break the functionality you want.

This may sound obvious, the simplest and best protection is to simply not let it on your system. Knowing your setup, the best thing would be to check out Voodooshield. It was designed for people know nothing about computers. So far and I am over 300 samples and testing the latest ones, and nothing not a thing has gotten by Voodooshield. Best of all it's free, and if you wanted a pro license, I bet we could work that it with the owner.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Hmmmm. Now what I am about to say may not be newbie stuff. But wouldn't programs like Sandboxie and ShadowDefender protect you from this nasty venom? Even if Ransomeware COULD get past Sandboxie, which I doubt, then it would have to contend with ShadowDefender which would be protecting ALL of your drives, even external.

So, if you use my two favorite security programs, you would definitely need to reboot before doing any imaging, ASSuming that I am understanding all of this nasty Ransomware stuff correctly. After all, if you image in ShadowDefender, that program is so protective that you would not only lose the Ransomeware but you would actually lose your entire image.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Well Acadia is correct you could protect a machine with just those two programs. But both to have a learning curve and is you forget to "commit" something in Shadow Defender it is gone, and there is no retrieving it.

With just VoodooShield you are protected and imaging is easy enough with right imaging tool

Patty am I correct that you only have one internal drive?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm 
welcoming committee

From the head of F-Secure

And as of chief research officer Mikko Hypponen explains, “Backups are not backups until you’ve tried the restore.”

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

Pete, the 'fear' of something attacking the images on my internal is one of the reasons that I also image to an external weekly. That is one thing that I like about my SATA setup. Since I ran SATA cables out of the back of the box I just plug in a 'naked' drive and do an image just as quickly as on the internal. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Well that is wise. It can now become a reality, so being prepared is good. Next question. Have you restored any of them?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

Yes, I have sucessfully restored images from both Windows and Acronis but have not yet done your 'differential' test as I've just not had time.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay. It will be interesting to see how they go. I am just glad you have tested restores.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 pm 

As to my full images I've not seen an issue. I HAVE had a scheduled image fail a couple of times due to lack of disk space. I think that I have misunderstood a lot of what you have presented and this specific issue MAY be what you are actually talking about. When it happens I go in and delete any extra files on the drive and all is again well. Would it help if were to give a list of files that I delete if it happens again?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay

On the issue I was talking about, it was cause space to be used if you were 1) Running Mbam 3 and if you had the ransomware module on. If that is the case the files would located in the c:\SVI folder. It might be hidden and you have to mess with permissions to see in it.

Otherwise I am not sure. Questions 1. How big is the disk and how big are the image files. Is that all you are saving.

Also what version of acronis are you using?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 am 
Fearless Leader

Pete, I have a RAID mirror - two internal drives. I also have an external drive in a dock with a SATA connection, which I only turn on (now) when I'm actually doing a backup, which I do very frequently.

Now as to testing images, I'm sorry - but that just seems like a really dumb idea to me, and I'll tell you why. Let's suppose that image isn't going to work - you've just trashed your system, and now you have nothing at all. I'm at least going to wait until I've trashed my system before I go ahead and possibly let an image restore trash my system. If it doesn't work, so be it, I have to reinstall my OS and programs. I've always got my data covered, in multiple ways.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Hmmmm, I'm going to take a "middle-of-the-road" approach on this one. I am guilty of waiting for years before actually restoring an image, made backups all the time, but only restored when the day came that I actually had to. I did restores all the time with the file copy type programs, first GoBack then FirstDefense (now called InstantRecovery); these type programs do not dig as deeply into your system as the imaging. My suggestion is to do what I did: I "practiced" the image recovery by starting it but stopping at the last step. I made careful notes on what to do when the day would come that I needed to recovery my system so deeply; I KNEW that day would eventually arrive, and it did. Now I have confidence not only because I've done it so many times, but also the quality of the programs are now so much better. I have now have 4 programs (3 of them imaging) to recover me should one of them fail, which actually did happen years ago.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Patty

You are where I was 7 years ago. terrified to do a restore. Now I give a restore as much thought as opening a word doc. Remember when I was Beta testing for StorageCraft, I probably did close to 1500 restore using beta recovery environments. Never had a failure with release software. When Macrium 6 came out two of brutalized it. Raxco has a defrag test program, and it can scramble the disk in minutes. Let it run and took an image It restored perfectly.

Something I've tested with all three of my routine imaging programs. Macrium,IFW and DS. I took images, and then started restore. about 3 minutes into the restore, I hit the power reset button. You know what you have..a trashed system. I then reran the restore. Perfect results on all 3. What is the payoff.

About 3 weeks ago one the gals who works for me logged on after 5 and made a few update. Then I went to do my backups and discovered something was corrupted with Outlook. I could open it but it would back either as a file or as an image. Even tried and offline image and that failed. So now I have a problem.

First thing I did was looked at one set logs and it looked like the problem might have been at 1:20 so I restored the 1.00 Macrium image. Tested the copy of the outlook file, and all was well. From another log it looked like 2:00 was good so I restored the 2:00 image and tested. All was well here also, so I decided to stay with this restore, and just restore the changed data from 5.30 Back in business and total time including the 2 restores was 20 minutes.

One thing I can tell you from experience is when something like that happens you will be under duress expecially if if it's a business. That is not the time to learn your restore procedures. See that post above from Mikko

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

It isn't that I've never done a restore. I've done it many times. ALL 3rd party programs failed me, from Acronis to StorageCraft - likely due to my RAID setup. The only one that never failed was Microsoft. Until Windows 10. That failed me one time, and I did have to reinstall the OS - it was due anyway, so not terribly upset. So now I keep doing my images without any great expectations of success. If they succeed, so much the better. Hope I don't need to, and keep my data backed up religiously.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Security