Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
1) Don't click the XP icon, double click an empty space to the right but still in the title bar. Doing this while not in full screen will put you to full screen. If already in full screen it will put you back to the smaller size. Have you increased your XP screen resolution from the default 800X600 to 1152X864 or 1600X1200?

Anytime that you mount an ISO to the optical drive it will replace the host drive. You just set it back to the host drive in settings. It will be very rare that you will mount an ISO so really should not be an issue. If it is an issue you could add a second optical drive under Storage in Settings.

2) Make sure that you have done all your updates if possible. Under Network in Settings make sure that the adapter is attached to 'NAT'. Before doing updates I believe that you will be in IE 6 or 7. Even after all updates you will still only be in IE8 as that is the last version of IE compatible with XP. You might want to try Firefox.

1) OK, I got XP to go full screen like it was before. And I understand that when I mount an ISO to the optical drive that it will replace the host drive. I know this because it happened to me. But I still don't understand the purpose of the 'VBoxGuestAdditions.ios' that is once again mounted in place of my optical drive......especially given the fact that you had me download the Guest Additions. Are you getting this iso mounted to your optical drive?

You say I could add a 2nd optical drive under Storage in Settings. I can't seem to do that because the Add button is grayed out. How is this done?

2) Under Network in Settings, the adapter is attached to Nat. I checked for Windows XP updates and there are 132 critical updates plus 8 software ones. Does that sound right to you? Did you do all the updates?

I am at IE6 and I can't see how to update to IE8. But I don't remember having problems with IE until this latest XP VM install that I did this morning.

I did download Firefox (after looking all over for Firefly, lol) and I will later see how it does.

BTW, I got all four of my old programs re-installed and they are working great!

Thanks again for your support. I am very pleased with VB and my XP VM. I just have a few kinks to work out, but it is definitely serving my purpose.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
1) I get the Additions taking over my optical drive only if I mount the ISO. As you may have found the Additions can be applied just by double clicking the download Additions file. In that case I'm not sure if the optical drive would be replaced or not but I THINK it would. I can't test right now as I'm finishing my updates.

I could be wrong about adding the second optical drive but do not think that is the case. Remember that you can only add such stuff under Settings if the XP VM is shut down.

2) IE6 is SO out of date it is probably the cause of your internet issues. I initially had the basic same issue. Even sites that would open were all messed up. IE8 will come through when you do updates. The reason that you did not see this issue with the original install is probably due to the fact that a LOT of updates were included in the original ISO including IE8.

Your number of updates sounds about right but is just the start. ;) Remember that there will be updates to updates and then updates to the updates for the updates... Under the optional updates you may want to hide the desktop search unless you happen to like a chunk of your task bar taken up by a search entry box. DO make sure to get all the NET Framework updates.

Don't forget to backup your VM files before doing updates or any other major change!

LOL! How many results did you get on the 'Firefly' search that were NOT connected to the TV series?

For anyone wondering how we are getting updates when XP is past its end of life it is due to the fact that end of life does not mean that you can't get updates that were published before the end of life date for quite some time. It means that there will be no NEW updates.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As you may have found the Additions can be applied just by double clicking the download Additions file.

You lost me there. Where do I find the Additions file to click?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 am 

It is the extensions file I included in the .ZIP I sent you.

Actually I take that back. I just checked and it would seem that the Extensions Pack and Guest Additions are not the same thing.

An ISO for Guest Additions can be found here.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.0_RC3/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:25 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It is the extensions file I included in the .ZIP I sent you.

Actually I take that back. I just checked and it would seem that the Extensions Pack and Guest Additions are not the same thing.

An ISO for Guest Additions can be found here.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.0_RC3/

Yea, I was getting confused about Extensions Pack and Guest Additions. You have probably seen this article, but it explains Guest Additions; it also says that is what most users need, and not Extensions.
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-vir ... itions-on-
windows/

Isn't the ISO for Guest Additions what you get when you click Devices on the XP VM task bar.

I managed to get all 144 XP updates downloaded/installed. As you told me, that included an upgrade from IE6 to IE8. In turn, that eliminated all that crazy stuff going on when I tried to use IE6, and it allowed me to get Avast successfully installed.

Got a few questions when you have time:
- Once I register a USB device like my printer with VB, then I have to remove it from registration before I can use it in my host Win 7. Didn't you tell me that was normal for devices like printers, flash drives, external drives?
- When I create a win 7 system image, won't that capture all of my VB and XP Pro VM stuff? What about when I do a file backup using Windows Backup.......is the XP Pro folder included (I still frequently copy this folder to my backup external drive)
- I find the VB User Guide extremely difficult to read. Yet I know that VB presents some capabilities that I would like to learn more about. Are you aware of a better reference guide, something like VirtualBox for Dummies?
- Do you know of any reason why I can't remove Virtual PC and XP Mode from my computer now that VB is up and running? I have instructions on how to do this.

Thanks.......

P.S. You said to remind you about something......I think it had to do with shared folders, being able to access all the host drives from the guest, etc.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:16 pm 

Last first. Shared folders is no problem with both Extensions and Additions installed. Not really sure if Extensions is needed. In settings just go to Shared folder and select which host folders you wish to share. Accessing all the host drives is another matter and needs networking. I got this working once but lost internet in the process. With the ability to share folders I really don't see where this is needed.

The issue with removing XP Mode is not VirtualBox. While you should be able to remove Virtual PC via Programs and features the XP Mode virtual will not want to leave your system. I still have an XP Mode drive I can't get rid of... hmmm, don't think that I ever tried in Safe Mode... My guess is either a weird permissions issue or a 'hook' to the drive due to the integration.

You should not have to remove anything from the XP registration. Shutting down the XP VM should return the control of all devices to the host.

Yes, when you do a system image VB and XP should go with it. Do remember that you have VB on your D: drive. I would still do the file copies. Do you want to restore a complete system image just because an experiment in XP went south? A lot easier to just copy back the drive backup.

Nope, don't know of an easy to read manual. I really have not looked at the one that came with the thing. You may want to look at the following. It looks to deal with installing Linux but most things should still apply.
https://ryantrotz.com/2011/11/virtualbo ... -tutorial/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay make sure that the drive you want to get rid of is completely powered down through Virtual PC.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Last first. Shared folders is no problem with both Extensions and Additions installed. Not really sure if Extensions is needed. In settings just go to Shared folder and select which host folders you wish to share. Accessing all the host drives is another matter and needs networking. I got this working once but lost internet in the process. With the ability to share folders I really don't see where this is needed.

The issue with removing XP Mode is not VirtualBox. While you should be able to remove Virtual PC via Programs and features the XP Mode virtual will not want to leave your system. I still have an XP Mode drive I can't get rid of... hmmm, don't think that I ever tried in Safe Mode... My guess is either a weird permissions issue or a 'hook' to the drive due to the integration.

You should not have to remove anything from the XP registration. Shutting down the XP VM should return the control of all devices to the host.

Yes, when you do a system image VB and XP should go with it. Do remember that you have VB on your D: drive. I would still do the file copies. Do you want to restore a complete system image just because an experiment in XP went south? A lot easier to just copy back the drive backup.

Nope, don't know of an easy to read manual. I really have not looked at the one that came with the thing. You may want to look at the following. It looks to deal with installing Linux but most things should still apply.
https://ryantrotz.com/2011/11/virtualbo ... -tutorial/

OK, I will set up my shared folders and not worry about the host drives.

In regards to removing XP Mode and Windows VPC, here is an article showing how to do all this....I thought I would try it later.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 73(v=ws.10).aspx

I keep forgetting about simply shutting down the XP VM to return device control to the host. After using XP Mode for so many years, I'm still having trouble with some of the operational aspects of VB. That certainly makes it easier than removing and re-registering. Duh! :?

On the backups, I will still periodically copy the XP files to an external drive like I've been doing after you advised me to do so. I was just curious as to what a system image would capture.

But here's another 'Duh!' I forgot that I had installed VB on my D: drive. So what should I do to backup VB........copy the folders/files like I do for XP, or create a system image of my D: drive? Or can I even create a system image for a drive that doesn't contain an operating system? Or it seems like I read someplace where you can create a system image that includes all your internal drives. I know, just more questions.......sorry.

Selfishly speaking, I guess I don't really need a VB manual with you around to instruct me. :mrgreen: But I imagine you are getting a little tired of all my questions. I will take a read of the website you sent me.

Thanks again..........

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm 

Not at all tired of your questions. :)

As to the question of your actually installing VB to D: the answer depends on a few things such as if you include D: when dong an image? Do you do a backup of D: when you do an image of C: if D: is not included in the image? Is D: a different physical drive or a partition on the same drive as C:?

Personally I'd kill the install of VB on the D: drive and re-install on C: but this could have issues. I'd then set up a new VM selecting to use an existing machine and virtual drive. I cannot suggest that you do this. What you have going is working well and without apparent issues. Don't fix what is not broken. Just make sure to back up the install directory for VB when you do an image of C:.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:33 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Not at all tired of your questions. :)

As to the question of your actually installing VB to D: the answer depends on a few things such as if you include D: when dong an image? Do you do a backup of D: when you do an image of C: if D: is not included in the image? Is D: a different physical drive or a partition on the same drive as C:?

Personally I'd kill the install of VB on the D: drive and re-install on C: but this could have issues. I'd then set up a new VM selecting to use an existing machine and virtual drive. I cannot suggest that you do this. What you have going is working well and without apparent issues. Don't fix what is not broken. Just make sure to back up the install directory for VB when you do an image of C:.

Drive C: is my 512 GB SSD, which is where I installed Win 7, my programs, and my program data. C: consumes all of Disk 0 except for a 450 MB Recovery Partition (installed by Velocity Micro) and a 99 MB EFI System Partition (whatever that is).

I then have two 2TB HDDs - Disk 1 and Disk 2. Drive D: is a 100GB partition on Disk 1; this disk also includes a 1000GB partition for backing up my trail camera pictures and a 763GB unallocated partition. Disk 2 is where I keep all my backups (system images and files) as well as Sync Toy backups. Of course, I also keep all my backups on an external drive.

Initially, I thought both VB and XP would go to the same drive, and I decided not to clutter C:. So I installed VB on D:, but I guess by default XP always goes to C:. So that's how I got things divided.

But as much as you and Pete would like for me to again try and create an XP VM, it ain't going to happen, lol. Everything is running smoothly. And last night I did learn how to create a system image that included both C: and D: drives, so I'm covered there. I may also copy the VB folder just as you told me to do with the XP Pro folder.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 am 
welcoming committee

I am either missing something or VB is really different. I install the VMware software on my c: drive just like any other software. But the actual machine files I can put anywhere. I have a Win 7 machine and a Win 10 machine on my G: drive, plus an old XP machine on an external. Any software including OS that I install to one of the machines doesn't go directly on any drive, it goes into the VM. And when I look at the VM folders I see nothing of what is install on the machine.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:26 pm 

Pete, VB uses two files to run. One is the configuration for the VM and the other is a virtual drive. Actually you can have multiple virtual drives. These files can, in fact, be anywhere but the default is users/user-name/VirtualBox VMs.

Of course it will perform MUCH better if located on an SSD.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Okay, that makes sense. I have config files, a file for memory, two files for the disk drives(huge) and also a file for each snapshot.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Pete, I don't think you are missing anything, nor is VB all that different. In this case it was the physical installer (me!) who got things all scattered. I didn't know all of this stuff when I started. Since I won't use my XP VM that often, I thought I would not clutter up my SSD drive with it. My new computer is so fast that I probably couldn't see much difference anyway.

Anyway, at this point everything is running so smoothly that I'm not about to reinstall VB on my C: drive. If later I have to recreate my VM for some other reason, then I would probably reinstall VB on my C: drive.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Well the VMware software which is installed in Program Files is only 567mb which is reasonable. So it's easiest to install on c:

BUT, my actual Win 10 VM machine I had to put on my G: drive it is 336gb in size so having it on c: wouldn't be very practical. My win 7 machine is a tad smaller at 319gb.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Well the VMware software which is installed in Program Files is only 567mb which is reasonable. So it's easiest to install on c:

BUT, my actual Win 10 VM machine I had to put on my G: drive it is 336gb in size so having it on c: wouldn't be very practical. My win 7 machine is a tad smaller at 319gb.

As it turns out, my sizes are smaller than yours. The VirtualBox software that I installed on my D: drive is only 207mb (23 folders, 194 files). So this installation could certainly have gone on my C: drive. But before installing VB, I had no idea what size it would be. And since everything is running smoothly, I'm not going to change anything.

My actual Win XP Pro virtual disk image is only 5.65gb. Since it went to my C: drive by default, I'm glad it wasn't any bigger. I say default, because I don't remember having a choice as to where to install it.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Well I knew my size would be big. When I created the vm's I made the c: drive 100g, and created a 2nd drive that also was 100g. But I wanted room to play.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 am 

Several posts here since I went to work today... ;)

Since this has become pretty much a 'hands on experience tutorial' I may even think about splitting all this off from the original thread and give it its own subject title.

While I think that this is pretty much complete and solved I am still going to add a few observations.

1) If bbarry decided that he wanted to remove his virtual XP drive from his SSD it is quite easy. He would just copy the virtual drive to another location on another drive. He would then kill the existing listing for XP within VirtualBox, set up another VM and on the drive setup screen choose to use an existing drive and point to the previous drive in its new location. I have proven this by doing so but have to recommend leaving the virtual drive on the SSD as moving to a mechanical drive will result in a serious performance loss. It must be noted that once a drive is moved from the default location within the user folder it cannot be returned... this is dumb. You would have to create a new folder outside of the default location for the virtual drive and then point to that location. Seems like a silly restriction but this is free software that basically works REALLY well.

2) While I have not looked all that hard I do not see any way to use the config file in any other location than the default location within the user folder. Again it seems a silly restriction but, again, the thing is free. Since my config file is only 12 KB who really cares that it has a forced location. :)

3) You do not have to launch VirtualBox to launch your VM. If you right click on the VM listing within VB there is an option to create a shortcut on the host desktop. You can also then drag the desktop short to your quick launch within your task bar if enabled. No big deal but saves mouse clicks.

4) Using shared folders on the host machine. It works well and does not really seem to affect boot time.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:10 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Several posts here since I went to work today... ;)

Since this has become pretty much a 'hands on experience tutorial' I may even think about splitting all this off from the original thread and give it its own subject title.

While I think that this is pretty much complete and solved I am still going to add a few observations.

1) If bbarry decided that he wanted to remove his virtual XP drive from his SSD it is quite easy. He would just copy the virtual drive to another location on another drive. He would then kill the existing listing for XP within VirtualBox, set up another VM and on the drive setup screen choose to use an existing drive and point to the previous drive in its new location. I have proven this by doing so but have to recommend leaving the virtual drive on the SSD as moving to a mechanical drive will result in a serious performance loss. It must be noted that once a drive is moved from the default location within the user folder it cannot be returned... this is dumb. You would have to create a new folder outside of the default location for the virtual drive and then point to that location. Seems like a silly restriction but this is free software that basically works REALLY well.

2) While I have not looked all that hard I do not see any way to use the config file in any other location than the default location within the user folder. Again it seems a silly restriction but, again, the thing is free. Since my config file is only 12 KB who really cares that it has a forced location. :)

3) You do not have to launch VirtualBox to launch your VM. If you right click on the VM listing within VB there is an option to create a shortcut on the host desktop. You can also then drag the desktop short to your quick launch within your task bar if enabled. No big deal but saves mouse clicks.

4) Using shared folders on the host machine. It works well and does not really seem to affect boot time.

Comments on the above:
1) and 2) No real comment, as I'm not going to move anything since you helped me getting it all to run so smoothly, lol.
3) I did not know that, and now I will definitely put a shortcut to XP on my Win 7 quick launch bar. On my old computer, that's where I had one for XP Mode.
4) It took me awhile to get a shared folder created and usable. I actually had to resort to reading some of the VirtualBox User Guide (ugh!), particularly Section 4.3.1 where I learned I had to invoke My Network Places in XP. Via a PM, I sent you the steps that worked for me in creating a folder to be shared between the guest and the host. If you want to post those steps here (including any corrections and/or embellishments), feel free to do so.

BTW, I agree with you about splitting this tutorial off from the original thread. The instructions you provided me for setting up my XP Pro Virtual Machine running under Win 7 were absolutely invaluable and they should definitely be made more accessible/discoverable to other forum members.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines