Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:13 pm 
welcoming committee

I was in two minds whether to open this thread or post it as a follow-up in one of my other threads, i've chosen the former to highlight this because someone might wonder why they also didn't get a painless injection.

I drove my wife to a local vaccination centre this morning, i'd told her the shot would be almost painless and was nothing to worry about.

When she returned to the car i was surprised by what she told me... the actual injection itself did hurt and the nurse who administered it had pre-warned her that it would.

According to the nurse, they'd run out of fine needles and so were using fatter needles.

It never occured to me that needle sizes might differ but the more i think about it, they surely must.

My wife doesn't have a needle phobia and didn't seem to bat an eyelid, i don't have a needle phobia either but it did make me wonder about the supply chain for needle sizes.

This virus keeps on throwing up new variables and questions.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. My wife and I both got our Pfizer dose #1 at the same facility, though administered by different people. She felt nothing more than a tiny jab on the way in, I felt a burning pain immediately during the injection. I wonder if they used different needle sizes... On the other hand, I had the sore arm (expected) for 2 - 3 days, while she didn't have a sore arm at all.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
One must consider that it isn't just the availability of a vaccine that is involved. It is also a matter of what is available to administer that vaccine. Since the vaccines are sub-dermal any sized needle will do the job.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:25 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
One must consider that it isn't just the availability of a vaccine that is involved. It is also a matter of what is available to administer that vaccine. Since the vaccines are sub-dermal any sized needle will do the job.

Very true and not unexpected, either. It was still interesting to learn that the larger needle would be a bit more ouchy. I had never really considered that. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am 

It wasn't something I'd given any thought to, I had both my Pfizer injection at the same place. A nurse did the first one and I didn't feel a thing, or maybe just a tiny touch, the second was done by the boss in charge of the operation doing the vaccines and even though it was still quick and easy it was just slightly felt more than the first.
Another factor could be that a woman nurse did the first and a man did the second, don't know if that made any difference.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
Another factor could be that a woman nurse did the first and a man did the second, don't know if that made any difference.

:-D That most certainly could be a factor. :-P

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:26 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

While i couldn't agree more that the size of needle really isn't that important, i was surprised to learn that for my wifes jab they had run out of fine needles and so she felt the injection more than i did.

I pretty much didn't feel anything when i was injected, in fact i had to ask the guy who injected me if he'd injected me!

My point is it really doesn't matter, but don't be surprised if when your turn comes around you might feel the injection more than others have reported so far... just be glad that you have had the shot(s) that gives your immune system a defence against this awful virus, if the second shot (for vaccines that require two doses) boosts your immunuity from circa 70% to over 90%, take it and put up with whatever pin prick you might feel.

In an ideal world we'd all like to have thin needles all of the time but as Jay rightly points out there are supply chain issues at play.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Most would think that a needle is a needle and if more are needed it is a simple matter but this is just not true. First factor is that these needles are not used more than once. They are used then destroyed but it goes beyond that. At one time I was a class 'A' prototype machinist. All that boils down to is that I'd be given two units and it was my job to build something that would join the two. After success I'd draw up a blueprint for the part. Was actually sort of fun.

While it seems a simple item a needle is far from simple. Consider that a needle normally used for vaccines is about as thick as a course human hair yet has a hole down the middle. That is not something that is easy to do and takes a while to produce. It surprises me not at all that there seems to be a shortage as to needles.

The following video may give an idea as to what is actually involved in the production of a syringe.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=machine+an+injection+needle+video&docid=608019059673954615&mid=4852CCE0E996D18372654852CCE0E996D1837265&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19