Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post subject: First COVID shot done.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Went to the V.A. today for my first of two shots of the Moderna vaccine. Only been a bit over four hours since the shot but, so far, no side effects, not even a sore arm. LOL! I'll see how it is tomorrow. I still love how the local V.A. is committed to their appointment schedule. My shot appointment was for 12:45 PM and after sitting around for fifteen minutes after the shot I was leaving the building at 1:00 PM. Two days ago I had a routine CT Scan of my torso and an ultra sound on my lower Aorta. My appointment was at 9:30 AM and I was on my way home at about 10:00 AM. This is normal and the way it normally is. This is not the case with many facilities especially in southern states such as Texas and Florida.

I go back in four weeks for the second shot.

I don't understand why there is such an "anti-vaccine" attitude going around. In my opinion you do what you can to protect yourself including a vaccine. If you don't you bring upon yourself what you get... :dunno:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Glad for you regarding your first shot. Like you, I had no ill effects from my first Moderna shot......not even a sore arm.

However, the 2nd Moderna put me in a lazy stupor for a couple of days. I didn't hurt, I wasn't nauseated....I just felt totally listless. So I took several long naps, and by the third day I was back to normal (only taking short naps, lol). But it has been a month since I got the 2nd shot, and I am so glad I did as I feel more secure. For now, however, I am still wearing my mask most places I go.

Good for you.....

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent news, Jay.
I had the Pfizer 1st dose 1-1/2 weeks ago, with the 2nd dose scheduled for the 12th. My arm was brutally sore after the shot and for the next day after. My wife didn't have any soreness, but she was a bit tired and described the feeling as if she were coming down with a cold. She was fine the following day.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:14 pm 

Thanks to both of you on the responses.

Even though I'm doing Moderna, not Pfizer, I still appreciate the input, Steve. :) Actually it looks like the likely associated reactions are quite similar between the two vaccines.

Interesting on your experience of the second shot, BB. I, to be honest, haven't researched the different vaccines all that much but have a little. From what I have read I thought that the affects you state are more normally associated with the first shot. :dunno: I'll make a point of getting things out of the way by the day before the second shot so, if I have problems, I have nothing that I would need to do. ;) May be an odd question but how long was it between the second shot and the onslaught of reactions? Kind of silly but the reason I ask is to know if I would have time to do my grocery shopping after the second shot. My second shot is on a Thursday just like the first, today. On Thursdays the grocery store I use offers a senior discount that saves a lot of money. Not important but I'm curious... If at least 90 minutes or so it is business as normal for me. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, in my neck of the woods most people got the Moderna. And very few reported any negative reaction after the first shot, with perhaps only a little soreness in the arm. But after the 2nd shot, I would guess about 75% of my friends/neighbors reported some negative effects......ranging from listless like I had to flu-like symptoms. But most ill effects only lasted a couple of days.

Now to your specific question. I felt no ill effects the day I received my 2nd shot. It was the day after that I woke up in a stupor with no energy. So based on my experience, you should be safe to grocery shop the day of your 2nd shot.

And I understand the importance of senior discounts at the grocery store. Ours is on Wednesday @ 5% discount, which adds up (pays for an 8-pack of diet Dr. Pepper, lol).

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 pm 

Interesting on the second shot info. I must have misread or misunderstood which shot got the larger range of reaction.

It isn't a must but I do like my grocery discount. I stopped after today's shot and spent ~$73.00 but only paid ~$58.00. :) Does your discount work the same way as mine as to where the discount only applies to full priced items, not items already on sale?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

No, mine applies to everything, but it's only 5%. So if I spent $78, I would still be paying $74. Your discount today computed to 20%, which is great.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

The 2nd dose is typically the one that causes the reactions in more people. Some experience reactions from the 1st dose, too. Yes, the reactions are similar for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines based on what I've read.
We get our 2nd dose on a Monday and I would normally be grocery shopping that Tuesday, but I'm anticipating delaying that trip. Our Shih Tzu, Jillie, is scheduled for a groomer appointment that Tuesday morning. At this point we're hoping that at least one of us isn't hit with a reaction! We are debating if we should reschedule her appointment. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, based on my experience I would reschedule for a couple of days later (unless Jillie can drive herself, lol). I know in my case, had I tried to drive anyplace for those two days, I probably would have fallen asleep before getting out of my driveway.

I got both of my Moderna shots at my local pharmacy, where I have traded for 20 years. My pharmacist warned me not to plan on doing much for a couple of days following the shot. In my case, she was correct.

That said, I have an 86-year old neighbor who had no ill effects from either Moderna shot. His 90-year old wife only had one day of the blahs from the 2nd shot.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm 

Day after my first shot... My arm is just slightly sore but not unless I rub the injection point. Even with that it is just a minor irritation.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Good news. Most people only have minor reactions. Even those that have the flu-like symptoms following the 2nd dose typically feel better after 24 hours. Absolutely well worth it, in my opinion. The reports on effectiveness continue to be good -- Pfizer reported greater than 90% effectiveness at preventing infection 6 months after the 2nd dose, based on the data from the earliest people vaccinated in the trials. And that includes protection against the variants currently circulating. We absolutely need as many people as possible to get vaccinated to slow this virus down!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:49 am 

I had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine just over a week ago with no ill effects. I didn't have any problems after the first either.

One of my delivery drivers though was very bad with flu like symptoms after his first jab of the Oxford vaccine which lasted several days, hopefully he'll be ok when he has his second one.

It's still better to get the vaccine though even if you get side effects, better than the alternative, I didn't hesitate when offered mine. :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 am 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
It's still better to get the vaccine though even if you get side effects, better than the alternative, I didn't hesitate when offered mine. :)

Absolutely!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm 

So far so good. :) Got my second Moderna vaccine shot yesterday and, so far, just have a little soreness in my arm.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent news. :-)

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:31 pm 

Pleased to hear you've had your second jab Jay, at least you'll now have the most protection at this time, I expect we'll see us getting a booster jab in the Autumn, it bit like the flu jab we get each year, there are always variants turning up and I expect the Covid virus will probably be the same.

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19