Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post subject: Vaccine news.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:50 pm 
welcoming committee

I thought i'd start this thread so we could share news on vaccines, whether in the pipeline or authorised.

Novavax along with the Johnson & Johnson vaccines are not yet, as far as i know, approved anywhere in the world but the data released today is fascinating... watch and make up your own mind.

https://youtu.be/ynyYvM7rzQ0

Post subject: Re: Vaccine news.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

It would be wrong of me not to post the following that at time of typing was posted by AP News two hours ago:

‘Simple is beautiful’: One-shot vaccine proves effective:
Quote:
The first one-shot COVID-19 vaccine provides good protection against the illness, Johnson & Johnson reported in a key study released Friday, offering the world a potentially important new tool as it races to stay ahead of the rapidly mutating virus.

The pharmaceutical giant’s preliminary findings suggest the single-dose option may not be as strong as Pfizer’s or Moderna’s two-dose formula, and was markedly weaker against a worrisome mutated version of the virus in South Africa.

But amid a rocky start to vaccinations worldwide, that may be an acceptable trade-off to get more people inoculated faster with an easier-to-handle shot that, unlike rival vaccines that must be kept frozen, can last months in the refrigerator.

“Frankly, simple is beautiful,” said Dr. Matt Hepburn, the U.S. government’s COVID-19 vaccine response leader...
https://apnews.com/article/j-and-j-coronavirus-vaccine-a7d254f0299d846062bf6195031880a3

As always, make up your own mind.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

The news is actually pretty promising regarding both the J&J and Novamax vaccines, despite the reports indicating that both are much less effective against the SA variant. I did read that they anticipate being able to tweak both to better protect against the latest variants.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 pm 

I got my letter yesterday with the appointment for my jab but I don't know which one it will be.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:08 pm 
welcoming committee

From AP News, today:
UN authorizes AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine for emergency use
https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-latin-america-coronavirus-pandemic-united-nations-3270b68714c77cf4b292ad25a147323f

So there is no misunderstanding, i believe this emergency use authorisation is for use under the WHO COVAX scheme, rather than for the already authorised wider use of the AstraZenica vaccine.

The announcement can be seen in today's daily briefing from the WHO on their YouTube channel (at circa 3min 30secs into the over 1 hour video):
Media briefing on COVID-19
https://youtu.be/LcJmQZGyqt0

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 pm 
welcoming committee

My bad, I should have included a link to help explain what the COVAX scheme actually is:

COVAX explained
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/covax-explained

Quote:
What is COVAX?

COVAX is one of three pillars of the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator, which was launched in April by the World Health Organization (WHO), the European Commission and France in response to this pandemic. Bringing together governments, global health organisations, manufacturers, scientists, private sector, civil society and philanthropy, with the aim of providing innovative and equitable access to COVID-19 diagnostics, treatments and vaccines. The COVAX pillar is focussed on the latter. It is the only truly global solution to this pandemic because it is the only effort to ensure that people in all corners of the world will get access to COVID-19 vaccines once they are available, regardless of their wealth.

Continues...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

This has the potential to be very exciting... I read the same in the Times newspaper in the UK a few days ago but didn't post it because the Times is behind a paywall and they haven't relaxed their copyright protocols for Covid articles, instead i waited for another news feed to report similar...

Long COVID patients say they feel better after getting vaccinated
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22308965/covid-vaccine-shots-symptoms-improve-chronic-long-haulers
Quote:
Daniel Griffin wasn’t sure what to expect when his patients with chronic COVID-19 symptoms started getting vaccinated. There was some concern that the shots might make things worse by triggering the immune system. Luckily, the opposite seemed to be true.

“I started getting texts and calls from some of my colleagues saying hey, are your patients with long COVID reporting that they’re feeling better after the vaccine?” says Griffin, an infectious diseases clinician and researcher at Columbia University. When he started talking with patients, he saw that they were. “It’s not 100 percent, but it does seem like to be around a third,” he says.

Early reports from Griffin and others hint that people with persistent symptoms may improve after getting vaccinated. Information is still limited, and the data is largely anecdotal — but if the pattern holds, it could help researchers understand more about why symptoms of COVID-19 persist in some people, and offer a path to relief.

The article continues.

Fingers crossed i fall into the 30% who report a recovery after the vaccine...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm 
welcoming committee

I received my 2nd Moderna Covid-19 shot last Friday. I had no ill effects from the first one, but the 2nd one knocked me on my butt for several days. My arm never hurt, but I was zapped of my energy and was pretty-much in a stupor state for a couple of days as by body fought to become immune to the virus. But that said, I am glad I got the shots and I feel better now. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I was offered the option to go to the local VA for a shot but had to decline as I could not get my car started due to an extreme cold spell here. Car is fine again and the offer will return.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:10 pm 
welcoming committee

That's excellent news Barry, stupor state and zapped of energy has pretty much been my life for a year... that said, when i get the vaccine i'd go through everything again if i knew for certain it'd rid of this nightmare i've been living.

The problem is i just :dunno: what's going to happen.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I was offered the option to go to the local VA for a shot but had to decline as I could not get my car started due to an extreme cold spell here. Car is fine again and the offer will return.

I hope you get a return offer soon, regardless of the cost i'd have found a way to get the jab... but that's likely only because of my situation?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I hope you get a return offer soon, regardless of the cost i'd have found a way to get the jab... but that's likely only because of my situation?

I thought about it but turned down having the VA provide transportation. I would have ended up all day at the VA and I live in a very low risk area. Wrong or right I figured that spend half a day in a medical facility was more of a risk than not going.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:07 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I thought about it but turned down having the VA provide transportation. I would have ended up all day at the VA and I live in a very low risk area. Wrong or right I figured that spend half a day in a medical facility was more of a risk than not going.

There is probably no right or wrong, but given you live in such a low risk area i do wonder now if you'll ever go?

As for transportation, i'd find the money from somewhere no matter the cost, even it meant forking out an excessive amount for a taxi... at the end of the day there is no point trying to save money 'on other things' if you run the risk that you won't be alive to spend it later.

Anyway, that's my opinion and we are all different.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm 

I'm like Jay and live in a low-risk area, in fact I'm at more risk leaving my home to get the vaccine.

I did get my first shot on the 6th of February, I had to go to the leisure centre in Tenby which is about 5/6 miles away from my home. They had it set up in the sports hall of the facility and everything went very quickly and no problems at all. I was told I'd be due my second in 11 weeks.

As I said I'm saver at home as I don't see anyone, I can't even people watch because of the way the bungalow is built there are no windows looking out at the front, it's a gable end facing the road. If I happen to be in the kitchen when the postman comes I'll see him as he comes up the drive, the other gable end has the door into my kitchen and is the first door you get to. The only person who comes into my kitchen is the Tesco delivery man to unpack my shopping once a week and he is always wearing a mask and I stay at the other end of the room well within social distancing.

The only other person is my daughter and her husband once a week who are helping me clear out stuff before I'm moved to an old persons accommodation, she is my carer so is very careful before coming to me.

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19