Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Ahead of new restrictions being imposed in (most parts of) the UK from Monday, the only person who makes any sense in the video on this page is the guy at the very end, the rest just sums up the selfish attitude of the younger (16+) generation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/54118039/coronavirus-young-people-are-the-easiest-to-blame

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't think that I see anything that would bother Joan. ;)

I agree that many younger people are acting without responsibility but, at the same time, feel bad for them. Did your high school have a prom? This year many won't. At our ages that may seem trivial but teens and twenties are very social ages and, I think, a lot of the lack of apparent responsibility is really a bad case of cabin fever. :dunno:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 am 

Proms is a mainly American thing Jay, not something common over here although there are a few establishments that are starting to follow the practice.

The stages for schooling over here, they start in the infants, when they are 7 it's the juniors, when they are 11 they move into either secondary or comprehensive until 16 when they can leave or go onto higher learning either upper 6th form until 18 then move to either college or university depending on how clever you are.

When I was at school in the 40s/50s the leaving age was 15 and as far as my parents were concerned I had to leave then and start to earn my keep.

I've not looked at the link yet.

Just looked at the link, I see they picked the place I grew up. :rofl2:

It's true they should have put the ban in place straight away instead of giving them until Monday, I've heard it on the news that it means large groups of people are using the weekend to get together before the restrictions come in which is just going to make matters worse.

The goverment are to blame a lot for it, their own members flouted the rules and weren't punished so a vast amount of the population thought if they can get away with it why can't we. They were too slow at the beginning as well putting restriction in place.

And that is the last I'm going to comment on the matter I'm not getting into any political arguments/discussions, whatever you want to call it.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
And that is the last I'm going to comment on the matter I'm not getting into any political arguments/discussions, whatever you want to call it.

I didn't intend for it to be political though with hindsight i can see how it could be interpreted that way :(

What angered me about the article was the attitude of almost all of those interviewed in it, they simply didn't care that there is a pandemic and their actions are helping to spread it.

The reference to you (Joan) was meant to be tongue in cheek because you appeared to get equally annoyed by the actions, or lack of, of this age group in other threads, apologies if that assumption was wrong.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:23 pm 

You weren't wrong Doddie.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
At our ages that may seem trivial but teens and twenties are very social ages and, I think, a lot of the lack of apparent responsibility is really a bad case of cabin fever. :dunno:

What do you mean "our ages"?
Speak for yourself, in my head i'm just a mature 18 year old! :rofl2:

Teens i can understand and to a degree sympathise with... but those in their 20's & 30's really ought to know better.

The girl/lady interviewed (at circa 40 secs into the video) who called out older people for being outdoors during the full lockdown when "they shouldn't haven't been" really really annoyed me... who appointed her as head of the Covid police???
I'd bet that everyone she saw was either taking there daily exercise or going to the shops for food and/or essentials... likely something she didn't do because mummy and daddy did it for her?!

<end rant>.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Just looked at the link, I see they picked the place I grew up. :rofl2:

Because you grew up there i thought you might like to read this new article posted on the BBC tonight...

Coronavirus: Illegal house party host fined £10k apologises:
Source and more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54140150
Quote:
A student who was fined £10,000 for an illegal house party of more than 50 people has apologised.
The 19-year-old was issued with the fixed penalty notice after ignoring warnings to shut down the party at his Nottingham home on Friday night.
In a letter sent to his neighbours, he said the "foolish gathering" was a "major lapse of judgement".
Nottinghamshire Police said the group was breaking social distancing rules and the fine should serve as a warning.
It said about 50 people found at the address on Harlaxton Drive, in Lenton, refused to leave and the host was issued with the fine.

I expect Robin Hood costumes will now be in high demand among students in Nottingham :)

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19