Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:42 pm 
welcoming committee

The BBC published the following article today:

Coronavirus: 'Long Covid' patients need treatment programme, doctors say
Quote:
Greater NHS support is needed for people chronically ill for months with Covid-19 symptoms, experts have told BBC Radio 4's File on 4.

The Royal College of GPs is calling for a national network of "post-Covid" clinics to help such people.
But less than 12% of 86 NHS care commissioning groups asked by the BBC said they were running such services.
NHS England said it was "rapidly expanding new and strengthened rehab centres".
Tim Spector, professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London and leader of the Covid Symptom Study app, said around 300,000 people in the UK have reported symptoms lasting for more than a month - so called "long Covid".
He added that data from the app showed around 60,000 people have been ill for more than three months.
However, many of these people may not have been tested for Covid...

Full atricle: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54031587

The BBC Radio File on 4 interview mentioned in the link above can be heard here, all 37 minutes of it:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mczc

[Note: I've never tried to share a BBC Sounds link with an international audience before so if it doesn't work for you it's probably a limitation imposed by the BBC rather than a broken link.]
Quote:
After Coronavirus, the survivors left with life-changing and long term conditions. The physical and psychological aftermath of Covid 19 and the pressure on rehabilitation services. Nearly 3 million people in the UK have had symptomatic coronavirus. More than one hundred thousand so severely, they needed hospital treatment.
This is a new disease, so doctors are guessing when it comes to the symptoms people will have long term.
But it’s clear this virus has a sting in its tail. The sickest patients have damage to their lungs and kidney which could be permanent. Some research shows the risk of heart attack or stroke is high. File on 4 talks to people living with the after effects of Covid 19 who say surviving was just the beginning. There are a multiotide of physical after effects - and many more have suffered post-traumatic stress disorder. People describe flashbacks to the ITU, seeing people die, overhearing their last goodbyes with loved ones on phone or the internet.
Patients who were hospitalised get follow-ups, and referrals for rehabilitation and possibly, counselling.

But what of the hundreds of thousands of other people who fell ill and who, if it weren’t a pandemic, might have gone to hospital, but were told to stay at home?
Researchers say there are at least 300,000 people who have had symptoms of Coronavirus for more than a month – so called Long Haul Covid.
Many are young and previously fit. They say they had a mild case of the virus. But they have been floored by the symptoms that followed – breathlessness, racing heart, weakness. And they're struggling to get care and support.

Reporter: Jane Deith
Producer: Helen Clifton
Editor: Carl Johnston

From a personal perspective i'm delighted that the mainstream media is at long last picking up on the plight of the 'forgotten survivors', but at the same time i'm deeply worried about what the future holds for those that thought they were immune to the long term effects of this virus (the under 30's).
As we enter what is clearly now a second wave driven by the that age group i sincerely hope they don't wake up one day and realise what a terrible mistake they've made.

Put bluntly, i've never been more worried about the long term consequences to society of this virus than i am now.

We had the chance to limit the damage and we didn't take it will likely be what 2020 is remembered through history for. :cry:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
[Note: I've never tried to share a BBC Sounds link with an international audience before so if it doesn't work for you it's probably a limitation imposed by the BBC rather than a broken link.]

Links seems to work here. :)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:25 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Links seems to work here. :)

Excellent, thanks for confirming :)

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19