Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post subject: Re: Re-opening schools?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:18 pm 
welcoming committee

I forgot to add, thanks going out to Steve and the Dittos for your support.

What a great name for a band, but please don't sing to me! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 pm 

:rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
... the Dittos ...

All their songs would sound the same. :omg:
Bill

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I ditto what Bill said........

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 pm 
welcoming committee

It's been a while since i've posted in this thread but it's becoming clearer by the day that re-opening schools was a disaster.... just look at what's happening to our children now:

COVID KIDS Our kids were left unable to eat or walk by Long Covid and treatment was ‘torture’ – but docs don’t know how to help
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13750564/kids-children-long-covid-symptoms-months/

Across the UK schools are again all but closed, there are some devolved power variations within the UK, but the vast majority of pupils are once again studying from home.

Without even touching on how many school children helped spread the disease in the community after contracting it at school, it's nothing short of a scandal that schools were allowed to re-open in the first place, imo.

Jay, you asked back in October if i was able to get a flu jab, i'm still waiting but i've lost interest in getting one now, mostly because:
1. By the time i'm scheduled to get one in March our winter will all but have ended.
2. Globally flu appears to have been supressed this year due to covid supression measures so unless i'm incredibly unlucky it won't impact on me even if i caught it.
3. I now appear to be recovering from Long Covid so if i were to contract flu now it likely wouldn't be of any consequence.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also surprised that here in the US schools are mostly still open. My town's school system was on an alternate day system from September through November, then went full remote until 2 weeks ago. They are back on an alternate day system. Masks are required in the buildings, but I still think they are asking for trouble. I recognize that remote learning is not ideal, but the risk is real.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:08 pm 
welcoming committee

In my opinion schools and universities should have been shutdown and remained closed until the pandemic was over, either through eradication or vaccination.

Australia and New Zealand are standouts at having eradicated the virus from their communities to the point that normal life is pretty much restored.

In the summer Scotland pretty much got there as well but because of reasons we don't talk about here our borders remained open with the rest of the UK and we allowed Scots to travel outside of the UK.

Much is made about the mental health of children during a lockdown... but surely repeated lockdowns are more harmful than one long lockdown to eradicate and ensure another isn't repeated over and over again?

I'd argue that one single lockdown to eradicate a disease so that normal life, with ongoing restrictions on travel, is preferable to mutiple lockdowns... even if that means an extra year of tuition for catchup is required.

e.g. Something went horribly wrong between July and today in Scotland, doubtless there will be multiple factors but i have no doubt in my mind that schools were a factor...

Coronavirus in Scotland: Tracking the first five months
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52009463

The following page is updated daily so will not reflect the numbers i see at time of posting, tomorrow
Covid in Scotland: Where are the latest cases?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Read and make up your own mind...

More than 74,000 children’ suffering from long Covid months after infection
https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/08/long-covid-in-children-74000-may-have-suffered-since-pandemic-began-14040596/

Quote:
The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics found 15% of 12 to 16-year-olds and 13% of those aged two to 11 still have symptoms five weeks after a positive Covid test. Around 500,000 children are known to have contracted the disease overall, suggesting as many as 74,000 in total have suffered from long Covid.

The above is from a UK tabloid, i've tried to find the article on the ONS website for myself but i get lost in the statistics... all i know is that if the statistics as advertised in the Metro article are correct then we probably have a serious problem in the making;

15% of 12-16 year olds
13% of 2-11 year olds

We may have a serious problem because everything seems to point at only 10% of adults suffer from Long Covid (whether tested, or not), children who are mostly presumed to be asymptomatic have so far not been factored into any Long Covid model that i know of.

On this i hope i am proven wrong.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:56 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Are you able to get a flu shot?

A wee update on my earlier quote about flu vaccination in Scotland, the 55-59 age bracket no longer qualify.

I'm not surpirsed nor concerned about this now, flu is so low on the profile this year it makes sense to prioritise the Covid vaccination programme.
Quote:
People aged 60 to 64, or will be by 31 March 2021, were invited to get the free flu vaccine in early December.
People in this age group who have already received a flu vaccine since September 2020 don't need to attend another flu vaccination appointment.
People aged 55 to 59 will not be invited for flu vaccination.
Current levels of seasonal flu remain very low.
The risks associated with flu are considerably lower than in previous years.
Coronavirus is currently a greater risk within the community. As a result, Scottish Ministers have decided to prioritise the COVID-19 vaccination programme.
People aged 55 to 59 will be invited for their COVID -19 vaccination as part of priority group 8 of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JVCI).

https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/immunisation/vaccines/flu-vaccine#people-aged-55-to-64

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19