Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The Coronavirus Is New, but Your Immune System Might Still Recognize It

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-immune-cells.html

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Coronavirus strains aren't new, the NY Times might know something i don't know but the article reads like horse hockey to me.

T-cells were HIV important were they not?

Might be equally as important for Covid-19 of course, but don't you think someone hasn't already thought of that?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:40 pm 

Yes, the T cell count is elevated with HIV as HIV is also a virus. T cell count is also indicative of several types of cancer. They are called 'T cells' due to being produced by the Thymus gland in the neck of vertebrates. Stated simply the two types of T cells are as follows:
1) The 'bosses' (my term). These cause other immune factors to activate such as the formation of anti-bodies.
2) The 'killers' (again my term). These directly fight the infection but not by attacking the invader. They hunt down and kill cells that are already infected.

The NY Times claims no knowledge of any of this in the article. They are presenting info provided by research experts. Even the experts admit that they just don't really know at this point but it appears apparent that two types of T cells react to COVID-19 probably due to T cells being able to recognize parts of a virus without recognizing the whole critter. They think, but have yet to prove, that the reaction of these T cells is due to previous Coronavirus infections such as the 'common cold'.

I posted the initial link as I found it easy to read yet it had the info. Here are others. One must understand that this study is in the early stages and a decent researcher cannot state it is so even if they truly believe it in their heart. This would violate 'Scientific Method' which is the heart of research.

Science Mag:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/t-cells-found-covid-19-patients-bode-well-long-term-immunity

Science News:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-t-cells-patients-immune-system

News Medical Life Sciences:
https://www.news-medical.net/health/Role-of-T-Cells-in-COVID-19.aspx

Live Science:
https://www.livescience.com/common-cold-coronaviruses-t-cells-covid-19-immunity.html

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Don't get me wrong, i also find it intersting but how the NY Times reported it didn't sit well.

The Live Science link you provided, which basically says the same but expands without being too technical, i thought made much more sense.

As you know, i have zero qualifications to be in a position to question anything any expert says, but my simple level of common sense suggests they are probably looking in the wrong place.

What makes no sense to the T-Cell case is that those least likely to suffer serious effects from Covid-19 is the fact the younger you are then the least at risk you are from Covid-19, but in order to have the T-Cells those studies are talking about you need to have built them up over time from other infections which debunks the idea that T-Cells can be useful.

That's an oxymoron, don't you think?

In my mind, the answer as to why young people are not being affected in the way the older population is, it's probably because they've not yet been exposed to something that's blocking their immune system from recognising and fighting Covid-19... or they've been exposed to something that aids their bodies to fight Covid-19.

In the first instance that may be an old strain of coronavirus/flu etc that's no longer in circulation, or in the latter, something akin to the MMR vacination that's actually aiding the immune system to fight Covid-19.

But what do i know ;)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:55 pm 

Actually COVID-19 is affecting more and more younger people. This is probably caused by unsafe summer gatherings. It is granted that elderly people have a higher mortality rate but that sort of makes sense as a younger person is likely to have a stronger immune system to start with. Still the young are not safe as a 7 year old boy recently died in Georgia.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:11 pm 

Oh, BTW, I don't have the knowledge to say if the T cell thing will go anywhere or not. Still, I consider anything coming out as a positive possibility much better than a negative. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 pm 
welcoming committee

I agree the young are not immune, they are just as likely to contract the disease as any of us however they are highly likely only to have only very mild symptoms, or be asymptomatic.

My heart goes out to the family of the Georgia lad who died, it's rare but not unheard of for youngsters to die from Covid-19.

There in lies the problem with the 15-30'ish age group, because they're not seeing their friends and school buddies dying they think they can do what they want without any consequences.

What they don't realise (yet), either because they're selfish or clueless is that when they go home after wherever they've been and ignored guidelines, they will probably pass on the disease to their family.

Opening bars and nightclubs was in my opinion a huge mistake, i include the decision by the Scottish Government to open pubs and clubs here in that as well.

I get that it must be incredibly frustrating for young people not to be able to live a nomal life at this time... but all age groups are giving up something from their normal daily life... just because lockdown restrictions are/were being eased doesn't give them licence to return to normal life to become the new 'super spreaders'.

Infection rates in Scotland are starting to rise again, we were in single daily figures just a few weeks ago, now we're into the 50+ per day and the weekly average is climbing sharply.

All the evidence i can see points to the younger popluation not following social distancing in bars and clubs :(

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19