Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post subject: Home is the new office?
 Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm hoping it won't be because this is where my wife now works Mon-Fri and it's doing my head in trying to stay out of her way, fyi she works in finance and this is new to her as well.

Don't get me wrong, i'm amazed how well we've got on together coping with this new way of living and working... but jeez, i'd love to be able to use the kitchen in the way i used too!

Simple things like just making a sandwich on my day off now requires a new level of thinking that needs to be timed so it doesn't impact on her work.

The really odd thing is that even though i don't really rate Microsoft tablets, i bought her a Surface Go that came with a Type Cover (a keyboard for anyone who doesn't speak MS talk) for Christmas in a Black Friday sale back in November because she wanted a new tablet that was compliant with her work needs, i didn't fully understand what "work compliant" meant but i guessed she meant something that supported Windows Office products and would be future compatible? So i went for for a Surface Go.

That was in November '19, fast forward to March '20.

The Surface Go has proven to be an incredible piece of kit...

Her employer wanted to supply her with a new laptop so she could work from home but she insisted that wasn't necessary and instead they installed various pieces of software and a VPN onto the Surface Go so she can connect to her work server etc with the Surface Go...

Initially my wife was working without a keyboard or mouse with the Surface Go mounted on the box that can be seen on the window sill in the attached picture... i thought that was ridiculous and there had to be a better way.

Suffice to say i searched online for a hub that might allow me to unplug various components from her desktop PC and use them with the Surface Go.

Enter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XB1QKR8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IhyZEbFEQXDG9

At the time the hub cost just under £40 and it has features that will likely never be used but it has allowed the Surface Go to be use with a full sized Keyboard, Wireless Mouse, 24 inch (i think?) Monitor, and USB ports etc... i've also unplugged the ancient Canon printer from my PC and connected it to the hub that her Surface Go is connected to so she has access to a printer without copying documents to a thumb drive for me to print.

The hub has it's faults, most notably it relies on it's power from the Surface Go... for the most part this isn't an issue but it does mean mean manually turning off the printer after every use or the Surfarce Go will crash.

To date, i'm amazed that this simple Christmas present is doing what it does! :)

Attachments:
Kitchen office.jpg
Kitchen office.jpg [ 265.93 KiB | Viewed 1406 times ]
 Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad to hear that it is working out well. :)

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19