Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:38 am 
welcoming committee

I'm quickly ducking in here just to say that at long last the WHO has formally defined what we know as Long Covid/Long Haul Covid.
It's now officially known as "post COVID-19 condition".

On 6th October 2021:

A clinical case definition of post COVID-19 condition by a Delphi consensus, 6 October 2021
https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-Post_COVID-19_condition-Clinical_case_definition-2021.1

The PDF download available on the web page above contains all the info, the link is simply an overview

For some reason mainstream media and governments are being very slow to pick up on this.

I just wanted to close that out because it was a jigsaw piece that has haunted me for 18 months.

Stay safe, signing out again.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:36 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Thanks. :)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Doddie.
I saw that announcement recently and agree that it is a bit disheartening that the news wasn't reported on more widely. In the my opinion, the ati-vax and denier crowd need to learn much more about this effect of COVID.
I do hope that you are doing well.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:18 am 

I'd seen and heard reports that they were finally admitting that it exists for some time now and kept thinking about Doddie and his reports about it.

I think there have even been doctors who are suffering from it.

I'm waiting to get my booster jab plus my flu one, didn't get that one last year.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, Steve & Jay, it's so good to see that you're all doing well, i won't lie, i've missed this forum, much of my decision to stop posting here was more than likely my mental health getting the better of me... right or wrong, i poured my heart and soul out into my posts about Long Covid in this Forum so when i felt some were starting to question my motives along with what i was living through, i couldn't cope and had to walk away.

Steve, you're eyes will roll at this, i felt ready to return to work after my second shot in June, my employer 'appeared' very happy about that and placed me on a 4 week phased return to work with reduced hours... that lasted for two shifts.
On the third shift in week one, i received a new rota that increased my worked night shifts from 7/fortnight (of 19 years!!) to 10/fortnight... when i queried that, i was told that my hours worked were reduced so what was my problem... they couldn't (wouldn't?) understand that it wasn't about hours worked, it was about recovery time as a night worker to work from shft to shift.
Suffice that i'd had enough so tendered my resignation with immediate effect.
I thought long and hard about whether i wanted to fight them in an industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal but i'd had enough of them and this virus, i couldn't have coped with the remnants of Covid and a long drawn out court case, so i walked away.

As for where i am now?

For nearly 12 months (oops, i said 18, edited to reduce that to 12 to better reflect when i had to down tools and stop working) i clung onto the hope that one day i would return to work and begin to rebuild my life, my first two shifts back at work had me elated that that was finally beginning to happen so when my employer ripped that hope away from me i was gutted, literally it felt like my heart had been ripped from my body.... i couldn't believe that after everything i'd been through that they would do that to me.

While the AstraZenica vaccine had cleared most of my Long Covid symptoms from my body, i'm left fighting chronic insomia, mild(er) than it was short term memory issues and more.

My Doctor has diagnosed PTSD, and possibly depression, caused by the trauma of not knowing if i'd ever recover from Covid-19 and being left with no help, plus the trauma of 'grieving for a job i held down for 19 years but had to leave' through no fault of my own.

I haven't yet been prescribed any help, my Doctor referred me to someone called a 'Link Officer'.
Apparently the Link Officer has the power to refer me to anyone she feels can help me whether medical or not, including help for claiming state aid now that i have no income at all.
That's scheduled to happen tomorrow, Wed 13th.
In the meantime i'm still fighting for help and living off my quickly depleting savings.

FWIW, The WHO pdf in section 3.3 (and elsewhere) refers to "members of LongSOS patient group and clinicians and/or patients nominated by WHO regional office case management officers"

That's wrong, LongSOS should say LongCovidSOS

It goes back to Sept 2020 when the WHO met LongCovidSOS:
https://www.longcovidsos.org/post/longcovidsos-take-part-in-historical-meeting-with-the-who

In other words, i'm still fighting and still a mess, but not quite the mess i was in a year ago... it's a different mess but a mess nonetheless.

As for the anti-vaxers and idiots like them, i wish them the best of luck but i long ago gave up caring what happens to them... if they want to make their bed without a vaccine then they should shut the f up and lie in it and await the garbage truck to come and tip them into landfill...
Stupid is as stupid does.

Sorry for the rant.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:49 am 
Site Admin

No need to apologize for the rant -- I feel the same for the anti-vaxers and deniers.
Sorry to read that the struggles continue.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:16 pm 

Sorry to hear you've had to step away from a job you'd done for so many years and obviously enjoyed Doddie. You probably did the right thing though for your mental health's sake.

Let's hope your struggles will soon be over for good.

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19