Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
Long Covid: More than a million affected in February, survey suggests
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56601911


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
The point of my posts today is that while i appear to have got lucky, potentially as one of the 20% who the vaccine apparently clears the body of Long Covid.

Not all will be so lucky and Long Covid as a by-product of infection is not going to go away any time soon.

The numbers of people who suffer with Long Covid are going to be vast no matter where any of us lives, and we need to adjust to that fact.

Every case of Covid-19 infection runs the risk of a 10% chance the disease will haunt them for months, if not years.

Help for those suffering from Long Covid is still as far away as it was for me back in August 2020.

If i could articulate that any better i would, suffice that when Covid-19 first became a pandemic we were scared of dying so we did what we were told, let me be clear, there is still an ongoing threat that no-one should want to experience... Long Covid, for me it was a nightmare that i never want to live through again... it was so horrendous that i still can't get to grips that the vaccine has actually cleared it from my body, i still live live day to day expecting to have some sort of relapse back into symptoms of Long Covid, but as each day passes my hope and realisation grows that i am done with this disease.

For those that don't know and are yet to experience this... i almost never cry but this disease reduced me to tears, i would sleep 18 hours a day and go to bed wondering if i would ever wake up again... i lost the ability to communicate with any other human being... i had body pains in places that simply didn't make sense... i had hallucinations that at times were terrifying... the exhaustion, fatigue and insomnia were on a level that i still struggle to understand how that ever happened.

Put simply, the number of symptoms i've suffered from has been over 50 and they were all cyclical, in the early days of my infection Long Covid simply didn't exist and i had no idea whether i would wake up the next day, so yes, i cried when i went to bed because i was terrified i might not wake up the next day.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 2408
Location: New Jersey
The bottom line is, of course, that this virus is horrible and that everyone should take every precaution to prevent getting infected. Increased vaccine distribution worldwide is a must, as is continued adherence to face coverings, hand washing, maintaining safe distances in public, etc.
I'm very glad that you appear to be in the 20% lucky group, but I'm not sure that I'd say "lucky" with more than a year of suffering!

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP 2004 - 2020
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
sboots wrote:
I'm very glad that you appear to be in the 20% lucky group, but I'm not sure that I'd say "lucky" with more than a year of suffering!

I fully understand your point but given that i was also facing an 80% chance that the vaccine would make no difference at all for me, add that i survived through some really horrendous times when noone understood what was happening to me... e.g. the guesswork and wild misdiagnosing that was happening by the medical profession this time last year... even through all of that, i do think i got lucky when i got my shot :whew:


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
sboots wrote:
The bottom line is, of course, that this virus is horrible and that everyone should take every precaution to prevent getting infected. Increased vaccine distribution worldwide is a must, as is continued adherence to face coverings, hand washing, maintaining safe distances in public, etc.


For whatever reason there are whole sections of society around the world who simply cannot understand your point, Steve.

I don't get why they feel so safe, presumably you don't either, the fact remains no-one is safe until we are all safe.

The new variants are targetting ever younger age groups, presumably because the older age groups the virus targetted have been eliminated already (via death, or vaccine?).

In any case, until we are all vaccinated and the spread is stopped i cannot see an end to this because new variants will surface and only time will tell what they can do if we don't stop it in it's tracks.

Covid-19 being a "horrible" virus i suspect will haunt us all for a very long time, it is more than that, it is "Evil" in my opinion and it is multifaceted, to believe otherwise will haunt us for generations.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:27 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
Quote:
I know how lonely and scary it is when you are fighting to be believed. You are literally on your own.

I so wish i'd come up with that quote myself months ago:

Source: 'Long Covid has destroyed me but I am fighting back'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-56602894

I didn't, we have moved on since those days, there is no excuse for anyone not to know the consquences of their actions today.

Suffice: Act with impunity and you will pay a price.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:33 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
Another case of hope:

North-east man’s hope end of long Covid battle is close
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/north-east-man-long-covid/

Quote:
A north-east man who has suffered from long Covid for more than a year has revealed he is “better than the best he has been” after receiving his vaccine.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 2408
Location: New Jersey
Doddie wrote:
For whatever reason there are whole sections of society around the world who simply cannot understand your point, Steve.

I don't get why they feel so safe, presumably you don't either, the fact remains no-one is safe until we are all safe.


Yes, I'm astounded at the sheer ignorance of people more than a year into this virus.

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP 2004 - 2020
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 8247
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
Doddie wrote:
For whatever reason there are whole sections of society around the world who simply cannot understand your point, Steve.

I don't get why they feel so safe, presumably you don't either, the fact remains no-one is safe until we are all safe.


Yes, I'm astounded at the sheer ignorance of people more than a year into this virus.

Is it being ignorant or actually brainwashed? Media is too big of a factor and too many actually believe what they see through the media without question. The media depends on advertisers for their money. If places are closed, or only operating partially, not as much money is available for advertising. In many cases the media is corrupting the science to make their money.

_________________
Image
Free sites from jaylach.com
I NEVER forget... I just remember late.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 2408
Location: New Jersey
Ignorant, plain and simple. Brainwashed by certain media and politicians is not an excuse. In fact, those getting their information from these sources highlights their ignorance.

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP 2004 - 2020
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:04 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
I'm firmly in the same camp as Steve, it is ignorance.

The mainstream media outlets have been so slow to pick up and report on Long Covid (aka Long Haul Covid in the US) it is bordeline obscene for any of the mainstream media outlets to now claim to be a News outlet.

As far back as late Sept/early Oct last year i was highlighting here what medical professionals around the world were reporting, that something unique was happening, those health professionals labelled it "Long Covid" in the UK, and "Long Haul Covid" in the US.

The healthcare professionals were the first to understand that something was not right simply because they had first hand medical knowledge to know and understand there was something happening to them that didn't make sense, and so they were able to articulate that in ways that people like me simply could not.

Niche forums sprang up all over the internet where healthcare professionals descibed what they were living with, nurses, doctors, consultants, professors, hospital porters, care home workers.... the list was seemingly endless... but they all described the same sypmtoms over and over again yet the "media" ignored them.

At around that time the so called "Social Media" began to sit up and take notice, lies and mis-information began to grow, others latched onto that and a whole new worldwide movement of lies and mis-information was born... yet the 'mainstream' media remained silent.

Can people be brainwashed, absolutely they can but this is not brainwashing.

The truth has, is, and always was out there... to not even attempt too look for the truth when it is available and in front of your face (here, or elsewhere) is ignorance of the highest level.

Should anyone chose to go with the crowd and not question what they are reading then that must surely be the epitome of ignorance.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:43 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 8247
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OK, mayhaps I stated wrongly as ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot. Too many people have gone to the point that they do a search on something and then figure that the top couple of results are probably the best which, as often as not, is not the case. The top results are actually usually those that pay for the results, in no way does this make them accurate.

The problem as I see it is that too many have been brought up in a world where the media, including Internet, is given too much weight. People think that they are doing due diligence just by looking and assume that the results will be accurate which too often is just not the case.

I believe that there should be censorship on the net... before you yell at me let me explain. Yes, at least in the U,S. such censorship could be seen as an infringement on the first amendment but I don't see it that way. The right of free speech is only valid as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Posting false information, in my opinion, does infringe on the rights of others especially when associated with major media. Yes, the media has the right to say what they want but there needs to be a stated difference as to whether the information is fact or opinion. Call me way to idealistic but I strongly believe that any media stating something as fact should have to include "foot notes" stating the source of the facts.

Yes, a lot of the population believes things that they should not just due to it's being posted by CNN, Fox or whatever but who is really at fault? I'm 66 years old and say that the fault is me; mayhaps not personally but my generation. We are largely responsible as to how younger people look at available information. It is my generation that is largely responsible for the fact that parents and teachers are much too restricted as how they can discipline a child. I'm not talking about abuse but just punishment associated to action. In today's world you could potentially lose your child for smacking on the butt in a store. This teaches the child that they don't need to follow what the parent says but just need to make a scene.

So now we have a generation with limited discipline and don't have the guts to admit that we are the cause. We gripe about what is wrong with today's youth but the simple fact is that WE are the cause.

Sorry but this is a strong topic with me... If parents and/or teachers are not allowed to discipline a child how can we expect a child to have discipline? Without discipline how can we expect the younger members of our society to react to things in a responsible manner.

Sorry for the rant but this is a REALLY sore spot with me. We complain at to what is but just don't have the guts to admit that we are actually the cause...

_________________
Image
Free sites from jaylach.com
I NEVER forget... I just remember late.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:06 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
I actually agree with you, Jay.

I argued until i was blue in the face back in the 80's that children should be restricted to a walled garden for educational purposes on the internet, but of course no one listened to me so fast forward and we are where we are.

Like you, i could rant about this all night but best i don't go there.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 1779
Location: Pembrokeshire, South Wales, UK
I'm another that agrees with your rant Jay, the problem these days is there are too many too gooders around.

_________________
Joan Archer
http://crossstitcher.webs.com
Image


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
I could not agree more....

Publish figures on long Covid to show ‘untold suffering’, MPs urge

Cross-party group urge PM to give greater priority to potential harm posed by post-viral condition


Quote:
The number of people suffering with long Covid should be published routinely, as happens with those infected with or hospitalised with coronavirus, MPs and peers are urging Boris Johnson.

The cross-party group of parliamentarians want the prime minister to ensure that the “untold human suffering” that the condition involves helps shape future government policy towards the pandemic.

Thirty-two MPs and 33 peers have signed a letter urging Johnson to give greater priority to the potential harm posed by long Covid following the Office for National Statistics’ finding last week that an estimated 1.1m people are suffering its effects – far more than previously thought...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/09/publish-figures-on-long-covid-to-show-untold-suffering-mps-urge


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:46 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
When i read articles like this i still cry:

For many sufferers of long Covid, proving they are sick is a big part of the battle
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/11/health/coronavirus-long-covid-intl/index.html

It is the ignorance that hurts the most, i've lived with Long Covid for over 8 months so probably know more than most... it was my ignorance for what was about to happen to me that hurts the most when i look back at those dark days.

When anyone is ill again i will never see their suffering in the same light again.

I do not have the words to express how much Covid has changed my attitude to life.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:28 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
I found this an interesting Q&A discussion, it's in print form, with no video that i could find.

How scientists are teasing apart the biology of Long COVID
By Jennifer Couzin-FrankelApr. 13, 2021 , 12:50 PM
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/04/how-scientists-are-teasing-apart-biology-long-covid

Quote:
Science’s COVID-19 reporting is supported by the Heising-Simons Foundation.

After the first surge of COVID-19 cases in spring 2020, a new worry emerged: Some people didn’t get better. For those with so-called Long COVID, lingering symptoms ranged from brain fog and intense fatigue to shortness of breath and loss of smell and taste. So far, there’s little clarity about what causes or how to treat this constellation of symptoms. Some surveys suggest between 10% and 30% of people infected with the pandemic coronavirus may struggle to recover, but these data are preliminary.

Emilia Liana Falcone, an infectious disease specialist at the Montreal Clinical Research Institute, and Michael Sneller, an infectious disease specialist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), are each leading a large Long COVID clinical trial. They are recruiting volunteers who’ve had COVID-19—some with ongoing symptoms and some without—along with a control group of people who never caught the virus. Volunteers come in regularly for medical tests, and scientists probe their blood for immune abnormalities. The goal: a biological explanation of chronic symptoms after COVID-19. The pair spoke with Science about their work, their thoughts on Long COVID, and their efforts to let the data guide them. This conversation has been edited for brevity and clarity.


The article contines with the Q&A...


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
A couple of updates:

The former appears to be the service my local health authority referred me to a few months ago (?, to date no Covid Clinics have yet opened in Scotland), the latter just goes to show that even when people who should know better, they don't.

In both cases i am left rolling my eyes and asking what on earth these people are thinking... i get that our day to day practicioners rely on guidelines from more learned people so in no way do i blame them... but my god are some getting Long Covid and how to treat it wrong.

The latter is especially mindboggling, i fought with Long Covid at a time that even i didn't know i was fighting it so how on earth the press could have played a part in what i was going through when no-one even knew that Long Covid existed is beyond me.
The press remained silent on Long Covid until at least November 2020, possibly even later, yes there were murmurs in niche press elements & Forums on the web but the mainstream press (aka newspapers & TV) remained silent.
I suspect i was living with Long Covid from February to August last year (we will never know my real timeline because no tests were available then, later tests that were available were restricted to the hearthcare sector) until one day at work during August 2020 i crashed on a scale i have never experienced before

That "a professor of psychological medicine at the University of Oxford and founder of a long Covid clinic" can claim that what i and countless others have experienced is caused by the press is beyond me and so far off any scale of care or understanding... frankly, he should be struck-off.

In any case, he should hang his head in shame and never speak another word, in fact, he would be well advised to take his pension and retire before he does any more harm.

cf:

Post COVID Rehabilitation
https://apps.nhslothian.scot/refhelp/covid-19/post-covid-rehabilitation#tabs-3|tabs1

Apparently just by talking about it, I’m super-spreading long Covid
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/14/super-spreading-long-covid-professor-press-coverage


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Long Covid.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1311
Location: Dunedin, Alba.
These are probably the most informative articles i've read in months, the former, i've known from first hand experience of all five but it's still good to know that this debate is still happening.

The latter is from a link in the former article, i'm highlighting it because it's important to understand that Long Covid/Long Haul Covid is being studied and all hope should never be given up, whether or not any vaccine helps is an open book... in my case i know the vaccine i recieved (AZ) has helped me, whether or not that remains the case no-one yet knows... but the fact remains that myself and others like me have been given a remission from this dreadful disease and the medical community is now sitting up and asking the question... how is that possible?

I't might be weeks or years before we know the answer to any of this, i am just glad that the right questions appear to be finally being asked.

Scientists haven’t figured out long Covid. Here are 5 of their best hypotheses:
https://www.vox.com/22369734/long-hauler-covid-vaccine

'Long-Haulers' Are Finding Relief After Getting Their COVID-19 Vaccine:
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/30/982805660/long-haulers-are-finding-relief-after-getting-their-covid-19-vaccine


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Our Community » COVID 19


Who is online

Registered users: No registered users

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Similar topics


Jump to:  

cron